Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Striper Talk -- best baits?

If you bait fish for stripers, which bait is your favorite? For instance we spent years fishing with seaworms from Maine. I once gaffed a 55 pound striper taken on a seaworm.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Striper Talk -- best baits?

We dig sandworms from the beach in front of our place in Maine at low tide. They are a different species than the worms which are sold commercially and work much better, no doubt because they are what the stripers expect to see on that beach....matching the hatch, so to speak.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:58 AM
SS/Veteran

No doubt in Maine you are digging for clams and grab the worms that show up, then use them for bass bait. I know our Maine daughter does that. Estuaries in Maine are very clam and very worm, probably because water is clean.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:40 AM
SS/Veteran

For us the best bait has always been both live or rigged eels.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:47 AM
SS/Veteran

A great thing about rigged eels is that you can freeze and refreeze rigged eels. They don't have to be kept alive. So if you wake up screaming some night from a fishing dream, you can grab a bunch from the freezer and go on a tong-fest.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:56 PM

Bunker. Live or Chunks.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes, I agree with bunker. I have not done that enough because in the situations in which I fish bunker were always impossible to get. Remember that most of our fishing was done out of a camper with limited freezer space and bait shops on the Cape never, or rarely, had bunker. Now that we fish out of home (no more camper use) our situation is different. Today, as opposed to when we did everything, our top method is fly fishing, which we love. Fly fishing is the funnest thing with clothes on.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:49 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeflyguy View Post
We dig sandworms from the beach in front of our place in Maine at low tide. They are a different species than the worms which are sold commercially and work much better, no doubt because they are what the stripers expect to see on that beach....matching the hatch, so to speak.
an old timer friend used to do that locally in NJ around Sandy Hook... he got busted by the park police (with a "warning") but kept it up as long as he kept fishing. He always found the local worms to be superior to anything else. Then again, at that time, the bunker schools had been decimated by the omega boats.

down here, until it gets colder, a bunker head is more likely to be taken by a shark than a big striper, but at least it culls out smaller anythings from messing with you.

when the stripers are around, and when active baitfish aren't present, bunker is the preferred choice.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Nobody I know fishes with clams. Yet, right here I have often been questioned, usually by Jersey guys, about the use of clams for bait.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Nobody I know fishes with clams. Yet, right here I have often been questioned, usually by Jersey guys, about the use of clams for bait.
I wonder how effective clams are nowadays due to the massive beach replenishment that has happened along the majority of New Jersey's coast.

Down here, they are used primarily in the spring/early summer, both when the bunker schools are not close to shore, as well as to attract the spring run of black drum.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Yes, I agree with bunker. I have not done that enough because in the situations in which I fish bunker were always impossible to get. Remember that most of our fishing was done out of a camper with limited freezer space and bait shops on the Cape never, or rarely, had bunker. Now that we fish out of home (no more camper use) our situation is different. Today, as opposed to when we did everything, our top method is fly fishing, which we love. Fly fishing is the funnest thing with clothes on.
I used to call fishing with Bunker Heads the "Lonely Game". Chunks will attract skates, bluefish, fluke, dogfish, sharks, rays, sea robins etc along with bass. for the most part a bunker head will get you nothing but bass, shark, giant ray or one of the big dogfish. Also at night it gives me confidence. When i spike a rod with other baits i spend half the time wondering if I have bait out there....between the cast, crabs and everything else I always have the feeling like i'm fishing on credit. With a bunker head I know it's out there and if a biggie swims by I have a shot.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:00 AM

Danny, you're right about the heads... agree and it's why I make sure to use them.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:06 AM
SS/Veteran

Years ago, when it was legal we used to bait fish with cut herring and we always used the heads first. What we a job we did back then and bait was easy to get. Then they banned the use of herring because the runs were devoid of herring.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 PM

For whatever reason, we have had better luck with mackerel than bunker ("pogies" in Maine) when fishing cut bait....or live, for that matter.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 PM
SS/Veteran

The "what-ever reasin' is the part of bait fishing that we will never know the answer about. Craziness happens with all fishing, be it plug or bait.