Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

Thank you, David. You might think I am used to compliments but not so. I can never hear it too much. Woolner used to say that he "guards his compliments like an unwed mother." I feel the same.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM

You may think that I easily hand out a complements but this is not the case - only when I honestly feel there are deserved.

“I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel they have not said enough.”

Mark Twain
Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 PM

This last, most recent issue is the only one I did not have a story in since I started with SJ a year ago. Looks like you can pretty much expect a Mister Smarty article every issue. Unless I get caught up with by a jealous husband.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Hi all, A late reply, but its not over because Mrs. Oregnio my 5th grade teacher is still not singing. I read the SL and love it. Zeno has made me laugh several times in the last few days. Stuck at the house all winter taking care of my 4 legged best friend Angus -my fading Saint Bernard. And yes, he is a saint because he loves an old salt, face sand blasted, SOB like me. He was diagnosed with kidney failure a year ago to the month and is still here with me. I took him off the vet meds as soon as he told me his demise were due to the strong arthritis meds he was on. Long story short, I put him on a strict diet of good ocean fish every night with his kibbles - freezer striper ranout 6 months ago but he still loves his tuna, mahi, grouper, and salmon. I know $$$ but my kids have been grown and gone for a few years now. A year later I?m 3 seasons beind getting back to my childhood haunts of Ocean County and fishing the salt, sand, and surf for stirpers. Well, from this far from home, if there are a handleful of guys putting things out there that keeps a landlocked surf fisherman like myself daydreaming about my next striper adventure._._._.good._.._.no._._ great for them. Too many adds?, not free?, look in that plug bag ._._you didn?t get those nice,worn, sharp hooked plugs for free or without influence, did you? Anyway, thats the most I?ve said in 5 years. Thanks to all that keep me learning, peace, keep at least the beaches clean, and tightlines to to all._._. especially you nightwatchmen of the Atlantic.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:24 PM

I do enjoy reading SWJ because simply it is dedicated to surfcasters and written by some writers who really seem to know the game. I know sometimes it is written more toward Long Island fishing but lots of the basics will apply to most regions and styles. I do like the fact that they discuss 4w mobile type fishing. I live on the cape and of course it is a lost "art". Do not have a problem with all the ads as long as the content stays informative and a enjoy to read.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Thank you for putting up that post. I think the previous post was sort of left field which, in that case at least, was impossible for me to respond.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Recent posts were not germaine to the on-line publication "Surfcasters Journal". However, Sandflea you are welcome to post. Try to come close to the subject at hand. Either that, or start a new thread. We need the action.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
well you guys convinced me to subscribe to SJ.. at a minimum to read Frank's article

I can't tell you how horsed I get when I flip to the latest issue of SJ and see Mr. Day-no's name
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2019, 03:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob, What did you think of the article? Did you like the character development of Sylvia? "That ***ing Dayno. I don't trust that sonofabitch. I got a bad feeling about him."
Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Rob, What did you think of the article? Did you like the character development of Sylvia? "That ***ing Dayno. I don't trust that sonofabitch. I got a bad feeling about him."

Loved it! Had a great visual based on your description and believe I've met her in the flesh (or perhaps her daughter)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Apart from Sylvia, while I never experienced both the sense of wonder nor the exact sense of loss you did, I am at the stage where I miss certain experiences, really wonderful experiences, of yesteryear. So much packed into a short story!
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
SS/Veteran

They at Surfcasters Journal are great people to work for. The editor is a regular field editor for The Fisherman. The bevy of regular contributors are all guys who know their stuff. Its a great publication and I think they are going to enjoy a long and prosperous run.