Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

eek The Birds

no, not Alfred Hitchcock's famous movie

but rather red knots

and the like birds....

does it seem that fencing and closures come earlier and earlier every year?

got this email for NJDFW:

Help Our Beach Nesting Birds!

The Endangered and Nongame Species Program is seeking volunteers to install fencing to protect beach-nesting bird habitat. Fencing will last 2-4 hours depending on the site. The work involves pounding posts into sand, tying string and flagging between them and posting informational signage.

Volunteers should be capable of walking long distances in the sand, be dressed for the weather (it's often cold and windy on the beach in spring) and bring their own water and snacks.

Dates, times and locations are below. Fencing will only be postponed if weather is especially bad (wind, cold and light rain will not be enough to cancel).
? Wednesday, March 20, 12pm - Stone Harbor Point
? Friday, March 29 , 8:30am - North Brigantine Natural Area
? Saturday, April 6, 10am - Various sites in Monmouth County (Final locations TBD but potential sites are Belmar, Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright)

If interested, please e-mail Christina Davis at Christina.Davis@dep.nj.gov to register.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:43 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Default Re: The Birds

That's string fencing. They put is up in suspected nesting areas rather than close the entire beach.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob View Post
That's string fencing. They put is up in suspected nesting areas rather than close the entire beach.

Bob,

Thanks... I just couldn't recall such an early start to fencing off areas.

Then again, I'm a senior now
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM

update: I got an email last week cancelling the fencing activity:
For those WCC volunteers who planned to volunteer at the March 29 fencing day at North Brigantine Natural Area: The work day has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. Please contact Christina Davis if you have any questions: Christina.Davis@dep.nj.gov.

So, I emailed Christina and asked if Brigantine was going to be fenced this year...She responded:

It is, but much of the northern front beach habitat is degraded to the point it cannot be fenced, i.e. there is nothing to protect. The tip still has habitat, but we leave fencing up there year-round, so it is only going require a bit of maintenance. If birds show interest southern part of the site, we will fence as needed.
Christina "Kashi" Davis
Endangered and Nongame Species Program
NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife

----

This pauses and makes me wonder if I should bother getting the Northern Management area buggy pass this year. I have the Brigantine pass already.

We'll see. I guess it still opens up enough beach up to the old coast guard station to make it worthwhile at times, though it is *extremely* flat until you get almost to the inlet, where the rips are. Problem is you will be limited by tides to get out there.