Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Twenty years from now?

Here is a thread loaded (maybe) with ifs. Let's pretend we all have a crystal ball and can see into the future on what surf fishing or fishing in general have to hold. The year now is 2011 so lets gaze into the ball and see 20 years into the future. The year now is 2031 and most of us are dust. Is fish being monitored (controlled, restricted etc). Tackle, boat tech, access to beach, vehicles (aka buggies) etc.?

Let your mind wander to the furture and give your thoughts and just take a shot.

I would think as I gaze into that ball: electronic lures with small battery that wiggles and lights up.
Super restriction on beaches.
High license fees- or pay to fish by the day.

Run with this idea
Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Twenty years from now?

I think that things will be way better than they are today. Just as everything else in our society has been improved, a certain good sense will come into management of resources inspired by all the mistakes we are making today. Long term, nobody wants closures that deny access. Gate keeping, as is done by our NPS, will be long gone. Each time something is done wrong it inspires a response. Ever notice how festidious our election pols are about checking in the voters? That is because of election rigging in your grandfather's day. Our culture is still in its infancy, still learning how to manage itself. But, like heart surgery, computers, communications, we will grow out of a lot of failings.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Coastal property values will probably rise further, and, as you suggest, Merlin, access will probably be more restrictive. But we still we be able to fish -- they can arrest me, and throw me in jail, if they try to ban shore fishing -- and once you get to the water's edge, it will still be the way it is now, and the way it was 100 years ago. There's a timelessness about fishing the surf, in that once you get there, the sea, the surf, and everything else are unchangeable. It's one of the things that makes me love it. Your grandfather might have used a handline, and might have been wearing a goofy necktie, but he experienced the surf, aesthetically and spiritually, the same way that you and I do.

I'm 38, and my daughter, lil' Maggie, is 4. I'm not overly eager to see the next 20 years go by, but I am looking forward to fishing with her when she gets older. I hope she likes skulking around in the dark half as much as I do.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
SS/Veteran

AD:2031

Just got back from a good morning's surf fishing. We got on the beach about 4 AM and after a few mintues checking the nearby bars with our aquascanner, we found a small school of Appolofish harassing a pod of baitfish and a few Meggatarpin lurking down current.

We rigged up our surfguns and fired our moonlures upcurrent of the action. Several shots later, Therese was tight to one of the Meggatarpin I reeled in to give her space. Her surfgun was adequate for the job but it would be tough to keep that silversides inside our alotted surfspot. She held her own and manged to keep the big fish within the 110' of our surfspot. It's a good thing, with the new surfspot allocation being only 55' of beachfront per angler, they do allow husband/wife teams to double their alloted space. That rule has seen a lot more wives joining their spouses on the surfcoast. As she battled the Meggatarpin, we were surrounded on both sides by groups of two dozen or more fisheremen slowly stepping into our space.

The big fish make a last jump and run and then came onto the sand under pressure by my wife as the other anglers crowded into our space. Fortunately two robofishcops
arrived and made them move back.

Once we had released the meggatarpin unharmed and packed up our gear we got into our jetpacks and left for home, having met our release quota for the month. This was the first Meggatarpin we had taken in the last two years. They say these fish have been around since prehistoric times but that there are probably no more than 1,000 left along Florida's east coast. With catch and release fishing allowing each of the 30,000,000 florida anglers only two days/year to fish for them and a one fish allowance for releasing; it's doubtful we will ever catch another.

I guess we are lucky though. We heard last week that the ASMFC has just tightened up on the coastwise Striped Bass regulations. Each state gets 2 days per year per angler but fishing must be done by groups of 10 or more and that is 1 fish per group for each day allowed. Minimum size is now 52 inches and only handlines are allowed and no boat fishing either.

Good news is the NPS has opened all of the national seashores to fishing with a special permit which costs each fisherman $100 and allows him to enter a silent auction for the 2 one-day permits allowed in each national seashore. Rumer has it that the winning bids last year were over $50,000 each but, NPS will not discuss it.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Fellow

Just got back from the beach with my grandson. Wills is a world class caster, which is a good thing since I can't cast from my beach gurney.

I think we had a good time and may have caught some fish --- but can't remember for sure ---- it's been 15 minutes since we got back. As soon as I change these wet clothes I'll be more more comfortable -- not sure if the surf got me or if I just peed my pants again.

If we did catch anything we'll have it for dinner --- if I can find my damn teeth. If we have no fish we'll eat plover --- there's an open season on them since they have become a nuisance and health hazard and all of the natural predators are long gone to NPS trapping. Plover fever has spread and is sickening those who survived the sea turtle plague.

With any luck I'll have another report tomorrow -- if my herbalist is open for medication. I think it's been 20 years since our free healthcare put all the doctors out of business.

Sometimes I'm happy that I can't remember --- I think!

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-02-2011, 03:38 PM

The futuristic space travel tenor of this thread does nothing for me. All I can ad is that so many people by then will find shore fishing too much work that it will not be at all crowded.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Fellow

If we can maintain access the tradition will continue as long as we continue to keep our youngsters in the game. I shudder to think that things could change so much on our beaches that the surf and surrounding venue will cease to be a special ans pleasant place to play.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=biggestsquid;2354837]If we can maintain access the tradition will continue as long as we continue to keep our youngsters in the game. I shudder to think that things could change so much on our beaches that the surf and surrounding venue will cease to be a special ans pleasant place to play.[/quote
It'll be here BIG AL. Ain't quite bad enough yet. But, when it gets bad enough in N.C., and throws enough people out of their zone, the ole mind makes us do things we never thought we'd do, and, when that happens, Kadie (AKA--- SELC, DOW, AUDUBON, and the other RAT'S A**ES), better bar the door.We're get'in close.

MULE.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Well, I haven't been posting much lately, so here goes...
I never thought I would leave Jersey, but plan on heading to SC (coastal area) when I retire in March. I will probably make some trips back up here after that and do some fishing. I will be 75 then, and surely not as agile as I once was, or am today. If I come back in 20 years, I would hope that Island Beach is still here, and not sold off by the state to generate money to pay for my "Golden Parachute Pension" as the current Govenor likes to portray it. If it hasn't, I would expect that things will be about the same. There will be buggys on the beach, people either fishing bait or plugging. Guys going crazy over blitzes when they occur, those that know what they are doing, still fishing the same way as those that did it before them did, much as I do today. I would expect that there will be changes in tackle and such, stronger lines, more realistic looking plugs and such. However, I believe that the basic premise that we use today, find the fish, learn structure, check the tides, etc, will never change.
The people change, the fish and the ocean dont...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 AM
SS/Veteran

1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by ragman View Post
    Well, I haven't been posting much lately, so here goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
I never thought I would leave Jersey, but plan on heading to SC (coastal area) when I retire in March. I will probably make some trips back up here after that and do some fishing. I will be 75 then, and surely not as agile as I once was, or am today. If I come back in 20 years, I would hope that Island Beach is still here, and not sold off by the state to generate money to pay for my "Golden Parachute Pension" as the current Govenor likes to portray it. If it hasn't, I would expect that things will be about the same. There will be buggys on the beach, people either fishing bait or plugging. Guys going crazy over blitzes when they occur, those that know what they are doing, still fishing the same way as those that did it before them did, much as I do today. I would expect that there will be changes in tackle and such, stronger lines, more realistic looking plugs and such. However, I believe that the basic premise that we use today, find the fish, learn structure, check the tides, etc, will never change.
The people change, the fish and the ocean dont...
MR. RAGMAN----GREAT, GREAT POST. PERIOD.

MULE.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Ragman, when you get to SC don't drive laying down like they do in Jersey. Country folk might frown on that. And if you come back for a visit, scrape yur shoes .
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Dont worry Frank, Deb is already schooling me i southern behavior She thinks I will do OK...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:52 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Ragman, when you get to SC don't drive laying down like they do in Jersey. Country folk might frown on that. And if you come back for a visit, scrape yur shoes .
Another thing RAG, Yankees wash their hands after they pee. We Southern boys wash our hands before we pee.

MULE.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Couple other things RAG, if you plan to spend some time down under.
1. Never greet somebody by saying Hi. Say howdy or how'ya doin'.
2. Down South, no words end with an ing, just in'.
3. Practice talkin' with your thumb and fingers pushin' in on your cheeks.
4. Add an extra syllable to about every other word.
5. Don't wear the same color sock on both feet.
6. If you don't like the taste of grits, you better learn.
7. And above all, to win the trust of the locals, for your fishing vehicle, (which should be no later than about a '94 model), be damn sure to have a bumper sticker on it that says Welcome to the South,
Now go Home.
I feel sure that others will give you some more helpful survival hints.

MULE.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Fellow

Mule,

You shoulda schooled me on some of these finer points. I don't want my new neighbors thinkin I'm from away!

You should probably let Rags know that Myrtle Beach is not actually part of the south. It is surrounded by the south --- but sure looks like something only a bunch of Yankees coulda created. Only Donald Trump wantabes could turn a beautiful piece of the Carolina Low Country into a Concrete Conundrum!

Do I really need to pretend to like the grits?

Y'all have a great weekend.