Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default fly knot help needed

I have been using the uni knot to attach my fly to my leader, heck, I use the uni knot for everything. I know someone showed me a good and proper knot to use for attaching flies to the leader, it was a type of knot that left a small loop so the fly could react and swing naturally. Can any one point me in the direction of that knot or have a good knot to attach flies? If anyone has a good link to that small loop knot that would be great also. Thanks, Joe
Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: fly knot help needed

http://www.stripersurf.com/knot_loops.html#LousLoop

The one Hank uses is a little different but they both work.
For Hank's knot you tie a half hitch in the line put the line through the hook eye and through the half hitch take three turns around and go back through the half hitch and tighten.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

wierd... I looked at that link and saw the "perfection loop". Well that's "knot" the perfection loop I learned, and have now found 3 different "perfection" loops.

at any rate, here's what I use 99% of the time for a loop:

http://www.killroys.com/knots/perfecti.htm

just because I can tie it in my sleep, blindfolded, and behind my back, not because it's the best "knot"
Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 AM

The uni knot can be used as a loop knot. often is. Simply do not snug it tight against the eye. When the fish takes it, it will snug automatically. Only drawback is the need to retie a loop if you are hooking too many fish....I don't mind that usually, and if they are biting that good, I usually don't need a loop for the "extra" action. For regular tight knots, I like the palomar. it's easy and very strong.

http://www.cabelas.com/information/c.../Uni-Knot.html

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 AM

That "Lou's Loop" is what I typically use in saltwater for stripers, but I have had trouble with it in fluoro with lighter tippet sizes, like 8-10lb test (bonefish). I learned it as a "Rapala" knot years ago.

I use the "Perfection Loop" for attaching the butt end of my leader to a small piece of looped mono at the end of my fly line.

Nice albie there Linesider!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 AM
SS/Veteran

The way Tank ties the lous loop is the way Popovics describes it in his book. It is easy and fast.

I use it and I use the Perfection loop and tie it the way rob's link shows it. If you stick the eye of the hook through the loop between steps 2 and 3, and pass the line through the eye, continue to tie as normal. Snug up and you have a simple perfection loop with the fly on it. Real fast.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Thanks all, see you all at the BASH, contest, who attachs a fly the quickest...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:13 AM

I just do the following:
Tie a loose overhand knot about 4" up the line from the tag end
Pass the tag end through the eye of your hook, and up past the overhand knot, leaving about 1/4 inch of line between the hook eye and the overhand knot.
Wrap the tag end clinch-knot style, and bring the tag end down through the overhand knot and the resulting loop.
Snug it up
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

just a note on all loop knots... make sure you test your knot (especially a new type of knot for you) on the line you're using well BEFORE you expect to catch a fish

had a very painful experience knot doing this in the past (using the knot
baldwingr described... my fault not the knot's) !!

some knots don't perform (or don't snug up) the same, as Steve alluded to, on different types or diameter lines.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwingr
I just do the following:
Tie a loose overhand knot about 4" up the line from the tag end
Pass the tag end through the eye of your hook, and up past the overhand knot, leaving about 1/4 inch of line between the hook eye and the overhand knot.
Wrap the tag end clinch-knot style, and bring the tag end down through the overhand knot and the resulting loop.
Snug it up
That's what I do.
Joe,
Tying a knot is not something you want to rush. This knot takes 30sec. at most to tie well. Granted, if fish are rolling in front of you, 30sec. feels like infinity, but to drop a fish , and loose a fly, due to hastey knot tying will have you kickin' yourself for years!!!
You have to fish with me, in the back this spring. I'll be down Fri. night before the BASH. I plan on fishing all day Sat. Plan on getting out in the bay with me, with the long rod. You're not going to need to cast longer than 70', with 50' being the ticket, and I'll be certain that you're tyin' the knot right, and you may have access to my arsenal of flies.
Take a deep breath, see the edge of the flat, use the wind to your advantage, and if there's fish there you'll know!!!

Keep in touch, we'll fish!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hank, I am also coming down Friday afternoon before the BASH. Sat AM bro, be there or be square.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 AM

The knot you want to use is the Lou's loop aka. the Homer Rhode loop. I like it when fishing Surf Candies and Sea Habits. It is in Popovich's book or you can see it at http://hgum.home.comcast.net/knots.htm.
For what its worth I use a nail knot coated with UV curing glue to attach an 18" long piece of Flor red limp mono (Amnesia) to my flyline. This serves as a stike indicator, and even in heavier tests won't coil on you. On the end of this I use a perfection loop.
Then I use the loop to loop connection to attach custom leaders.
Tapered leaders are great, but expensive and you can never get one just right unless you do it youself. Don't screw around just go out and by a spool of every tippet material made and be done with it. I tie them all winter put them in ziplock snack bags labled with heavy black marker. The blood knot is the only way to go here. The leader is most critical part of the whole setup too light the fly collapses and the tite loop is worthless. In my opinion unless you need the fly to swing attach leader or tippet to hook with the Palomar