Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - CT and RI

Fishing - CT and RI Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Reports and Information

Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM

Could this mean new beach contours and better fishing???? New nooks and crannies? New bars? Or bad for fishing?

Erosion Could Cause Problems At Matunuck Beach
Harsh Winter, Recent Rain Dealt Blows

POSTED: 11:46 pm EDT April 7, 2005
UPDATED: 11:47 pm EDT April 7, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- A harsh winter and recent rain have dealt a 1-2 punch to a local beach in South Kingstown.

The problem is erosion at Matunuck Beach, and officials are concerned with Memorial Day fast approaching. While erosion is a perennial problem, this year is different, News Channel 10 reported.

"The amount of erosion that occurred this year is going to create substantial problems for us to be able to have that beach open for the summer," said Stephen Alfred, the town manager of South Kingstown.

Alfred said the beach will probably be open by Memorial Day, but officials may have to reduce the length of the beach open to the public.

A harsh winter and recent heavy rains have cut into the dune line and have taken away sand. In fact, so much sand was washed away that the town is considering bringing some in to replenish what the elements have taken away.

"The cost just for bringing sand into that beach is probably somewhere in the area of $50,000 to $60,000," Alfred said.

The amount of sand that has washed away from the beach has put the safety of the boardwalk at Matunuck in question, News Channel 10 reported. Particularly at risk is one section where the handicap accessible ramp is located. The town has commissioned a Marine engineering study to determine the safety of the structure.

"We believe it can survive the season but what we have to do is find a solution on how we can redefine the beachfront so that we do not continue those erosions that's occurring," Alfred said.

State-run beaches such as Scarborough North in Naragansett escaped Mother Nature's wrath, News Channel 10 reported. Town officials in South Kingstown hope they can say the same come summer.

"Most, if not all, of the sand is within a quarter- to a half-mile of the beach right now," Alfred said.

Alfred added that the town is in discussion with the Coastal Resources Management Council as to what suggestions and assistance it can provide on the beach erosion.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:52 PM

If they Only need 60,000 to fix that mess it would be a bargain. What a mess.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:46 PM

Long term it will be much more than 60K to fix, thats the short term fix... I am semi-involved in the research end of the work, so thats really all I can say right now
Except that the news is alittle bit off... the rain didnt not erode the beach, the Sou'easter that brought the rain did that.. the rain just made things wet....
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 PM

Hmmm... haven't been down there yet this year. The Charlestown breachway beach is huge. Thanks to the ONLY 20% dreging they have done in the basin and pond. Heck if you fish off the beach this year you can almost cast to split rock.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:13 PM

matunick has been eroding for years. It was bad last year so I can only imagine how bad it must be now. Sand bars constantly change during storms, it's part of nature.