Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Striper Talk -- Artificials?

Given only one lure, which lure would you choose for stripahs? And why?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:24 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Striper Talk -- Artificials?

I was going to say "Bunker Head", but guess I'll stay on topic.

For me, if I were to throw a lure, a Daiwa SP Minnow "silver" would be my first go-to.

I've read/heard that their hooks/rings are on the flimsy side, but that's for those anglers who actually encounter bass that could do damage to such things.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Floater Rebel is a hard lure to beat. but there are others. We used Rebels for years but when they came out with the Windcheater Rebel, you now had a Rebel that could be cast with conventional.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:48 PM

Love to fish top water. Super Strike Little Neck Popper in bone white 1.5 ounces .Floating. Casts great and nice popping action. Great fish catcher. Used one month straight in estuary. Did not take off my rod.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 AM

I love top water as well, and in certain places definitely is the most fun one can have on the water. But for one lure, still have to go with some swimmer. Would prefer top water no doubt, as long as the fish do as well !
Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 AM

I prefer the plastic lip swimmers and over the years tried many of them. Mambo Minnows, Bombers and more recently Daiwa sp minnow and right now having success with Yozuri Hydro minnow lc. The latter have a weight transfer sytem and I have found them to cast very well. One reason I like these is the tight wiggle sends a pulse and I can adjust my retrieve speed to where it feels just right. Most of them swim shallow ...about 3' deep which works well where I fish.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:47 PM
SS/Veteran

bob, the ones you mention -- Mombos, bombers, are all the genre of plug that originated with Laure Rypala, the Swede. Rebel was the first to follow Rypala, then Mombo and Bombers followed. Plug makers are notorious copiers of each others design. These popular plug variations were knock-offs of the Swede's innovation.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:28 AM
SS/Veteran

For shallow waters and light surf, I'd say the 5" Rebel floater, blue over silver. I've caught bass, blues and weakfish in the salt. In freshwater, walleye, large and smallmouth bass, stripers (Hudson River)...even catfish! (Recently I've replaced some Rebels with 4-5" Redfins, SPs, and Bombers...all decent "Rebel equivalents")

The last few years, I've found a 6" unweighted Sluggo in either white or "Arkansas shiner" (dark gray over white) to be even better than the Rebel. I've even gotten quite a few fish in day/sunlight on it. On 20 lb braided line it casts decently. I've been tying shrimp-like flies 3-5' ahead of it as a teaser and getting quite a few double headers. (I've been using the same teaser ahead of my Rebels on a slooow retrieve at night).

For moderate surf and inlets, a 1-1.5 oz BTJ with some kind of trailer, or a 4-5" Tsunami rubber shad in white or "golden bunker" color have been good as well.

I know ya said "one" Frank, but I couldn't stop myself...
Old 09-29-2019, 05:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
I prefer the plastic lip swimmers and over the years tried many of them. Mambo Minnows, Bombers and more recently Daiwa sp minnow and right now having success with Yozuri Hydro minnow lc. The latter have a weight transfer sytem and I have found them to cast very well. One reason I like these is the tight wiggle sends a pulse and I can adjust my retrieve speed to where it feels just right. Most of them swim shallow ...about 3' deep which works well where I fish.
There's definitely something to that SP Minnow. I've only started using it a little recently, but my friends (and some others I've observed) have done well with it. Different kind of wiggle.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Don't overlook having a plug just sit on top with the surface tension, no retrieve. Ever notice that some sperling will just lay on top motionless. Sandeels as well.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:07 AM

Absolutely true, Frank. There are times along surf at night, when a black bomber sitting motionless floating over the waves is the ticket.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 AM
SS/Veteran

There are a lot of kinks in plug fishing that are missed by many surfcasters, Too many casters just cast and crank. No more, but I spent years watching people around me screw up big time. I learned a lot fishing in crowds, though admittedly it was what not to do.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Frank
I love pencil poppers. The topwater action really turns me on.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Miguel, some people, not me, fish pencil poppers on the bottom. I never happened to fish them anywhere -- top or bottom. My best years were with eels -- rigged or live. Or, with plugs either Rebels or Pikies.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Frank, I never heard of a sinking pencil popper (I don't doubt they exist or used the way you described). On the other hand, needlefish yes... Floating, slow and fast sink versions are used successfully by many anglers I've known...just not by me