Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: the pats

I see where Gordon has been suspended indefinitely. I don't have the reason or details yet as the news just came out. There was something about mentle issues, not sure. He did play well but is now gone.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:54 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

He must'a broke under the strain of losing 2 games in a row!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:09 PM
SS/Veteran

You should see how the Boston Globe is roasting and toasting the Pats now. What a hateful bunch of bastards the press can be. No wonder the Saudis do what they do to reporters. The name of the game is COPY. Doesn't matter what you say; just keep saying it; the editor wants copy!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
... No wonder the Saudis do what they do to reporters....
almost spit out my coffee on that one
Old 12-20-2018, 03:18 PM
SS/Veteran

It is worth nothing that none of the final 4 NFL teams from last year -- the Patriots, Jaguars, Vikings, and Eagles -- is having as good a year this season as they had last season. The Jags suck; the Vikings and Eagles have been middling .500 teams, and the Pats, while better than the rest, do not look to be even close to as good as they were last year.

It seems to me that success in any year is due to factors beyond the control of a team, with luck in avoiding injuries probably the biggest factor. With the current salary-cap rules, no team is deep, and with a few injuries to the wrong players, it can be hard for a team to compete.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes, Chris, that about says it. Injury events seem to determine the outcome of a team's results. I guess you could also add domestic behavior. We lost Gordan because he failed a drug test; we lost that guy who committed murder who committed suicide in a Massachusetts jail (forgot his name). Some, a minority really, can't stay out of trouble. If they don't get hurt on the field, they get into trouble -- drugs, crime. Sports teams can't afford to have their players associated with deviant behavior.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I see where Gordon has been suspended indefinitely. I don't have the reason or details yet as the news just came out. There was something about mentle issues, not sure. He did play well but is now gone.
I searched high and low for the answer to this question of why and only thing I came up with is substance abuse aka drugs.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:07 PM
SS/Veteran

At least in the cases of Gordon and Hernandez it was drugs. Today's young seem to use way more drugs than ours. We feared the long term effects of drugs on overall health. Sure, I did smoke cigarettes for a long time and spent many years trying to quit before succeeding by being hypnotized by the Mad Russian in Boston. I never believed in hypnoses but I was able to quit. But todays youth freely do hard drugs like it is the thing to do. I can't believe that Democrats in Massachusetts legalized pot. But you still can't hunt on Sundays. Mass is one AFU place. See what happens when democrats take the helm Next they will raise the price on gun permits which are required for all forms of hunting -- ducks, squirrels. Light up a blunt Comrade Rich .
Old 01-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Well that was easy. The game was not as close as the score indicated
Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Well that was easy. The game was not as close as the score indicated
The Pats look good for now but they keep losing key players. Looks like Gronk is eyeing retirement and Brady is aging out. The team keeps evolving. Fans should be ready to see their Patriots decline. Of course the Kraft org is no doubt preparing for such loses and are smart enough to act ahead of it.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Well, Kudos to the Pats. A dominating 1st half and an unstoppable drive to finish it.

They have a great shot at the title as they seem to be clicking on all cylinders.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Just saw a TV show(FX1 HD Colin Coward) that lauds the Pats, Brady, Gronk, actually the whole team. Glad the Pats won but it struck me that it was unfair that the Chiefs never were allowed an overtime possession. It boils down to a coin toss which gave the Pats the victory. First possession, score, game over. Of course the Pats drive that ended it, and Gronkowski should be included in the remark, was memorable, worthy of spectator praise.

Colin made the point that both defeated teams (Saints and Chiefs) had home advantage which, apparently, figures in statistically as a winning factor. Just not this time.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:06 PM

It seems unfair but seriously the Chiefs did not derserve it being unable to stop 3 3rd and longs on that drive
Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM

The Chiefs had the game won when a guy lined up in the neutral zone keeping the Pats alive in regulation.

The Saints flat out should have won with that non call everyone is talking about.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=
The Saints flat out should have won with that non call everyone is talking about.[/QUOTE]

Its bad for football when officiating is poor. Also sports betting is bad for sports because it creates incentives for poor officiating. Now its not how the game is played but how it is officiated. Once the buck is involved, things begin to change.