Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: New bass book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp 32 View Post
Hi Frank. Janet?s book is published by Pantheon Books a division of penguin Random house. I just received my copy and am going to try my hardest time save it for Hatteras reading in between tides !! From a quick glimpse this book appears to be absolutely top notch . Definitely a must have. My thoughts and prayers are with her as her mother is a dear friend of mine and my Cape family as she is under Hospice care. As much as it sucks Mr. D. You said it best Nothing is forever. Cherish the moment
Mr. Ramp 32 you said it well-----Cherish the moment. Though my quote is in no way original with me, it has been said thousands of times----"Would that we could all see our glass as half full instead of half empty." PS Frank---Amazon books also sells Janet's book.
MULE.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:53 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm expected to review such books. You know how many books I have reviewed over the years? Moreover, reviewers are expected to rave, be supportive. They are out to kill you if you don't.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Hi Frank. I was just thinking this might be a fishing book you might actually enjoy. I am not looking to promote anything. She knows her stuff. Cheers Scott
Old 09-27-2019, 04:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp 32 View Post
Hi Frank. I was just thinking this might be a fishing book you might actually enjoy. I am not looking to promote anything. She knows her stuff. Cheers Scott
No question that Janet knows the ropes of the striper surf. She has been around a long tine and this is not her first rodeo. She is perfect for a book. Cheers yourself, Scott. You are always welcome here.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Our daughter, Susan, just got back from the Vineyard with a copy of Janet's book and having read 20 pages, I am impressed with it. More later. Janet was impressed with Susan, who teaches fly fishing for some Maine backwoods outpost, LL Beane I think. . I also have a picture of Susan with Janet
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Attached Images

Last edited by RobS : 09-30-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks, Rob. I had no clue as to how to get the picture right side up. I think it great that Janet recognizes that Susan was my daughter. Both, Susan and Janet, connected and Janet implied (though I was not there) that Janet would love fly casting lessons from Sue. Both of them are a couple of kick XXX broads. The world needs more.

There is nothing like a woman that can cast in the striper surf and shoot the nuts off a field mouse at 100 yards.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Really nice picture, Frank. And agree with you about both of them!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Janet's book is surprisingly entertaining. As you may suspect I am a harsh critic of angling literature and Janet has overcome all the obstacles. I got up with a pot of coffee this 4:00 AM and read more and its right up there with good striper books. I also knew, back in the day, some of the characters in the book. Janet's talk about the Derby is kind of a nice touch. It belongs in the library of any and all striper-philes.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:36 PM
SS/Veteran

I am blowing my mind with Janet's book. Her discussion of everybody selling fish on the Vineyard is so relatable. If you read any of my auto-biographies "20 Years" or "Eastern Tides", you know what selling fish did as an incentive for us at the time. Talk about Frank and Janet being cut from the same cloth. If you read books on striper fishing, and don't have your Janet book, big mistake!

She was also buddies with now the late Bob Post, author of Reading the Water which was printed a number of times. He mentioned her in his book and he introduced me to Janet years way back when I was invited to the Vineyard to do a seminar. I am pheasant hunting tomorrow so I may lose some reading time but I will be remarking more on her work. Amazon has her book, "Casting into the Light".
Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Frank, thanks for the insights... it's on my list now
Old 10-06-2019, 03:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Janet is loaded with anecdotes. Everyone of them I have experienced myself in the striper surf: bad winds, losing a rod to a fish taking it when not looking, loss of access to beach closures, on and on. Nearly all the people to whom she refers are people that I too have known in striper fishing -- Cinto, Post, Captain Sabatowski, Clyde Omar, Dumarat. Weird thing is when I was introduced to Janet by Dr. Post I was not impressed. To me a taxidermist. No big deal. Women fishing for stripers like Janet? I had a wife and three daughters who did that -- no big deal. Now that Janet has brought more literature to the striper surf -- BIG DEAL!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Janet's references to the Derby bring out an important aspect of MV life. People fish and compete in an overly frantic way. An unanticipated result is that there is too much study of other contestants. Islanders commonly make it a point to know exactly where top contenders fish. Should a person get on the Leader Board of the Derby, there will likely be an all-out effort to go where that person habitually fishes.

Also, island inhabitants are very possessive of their spots which causes them to resent outsiders fishing in their spots. One consequence is the slashed tires on buggies. The book implies pent up hostilities over spot choices, unrestrained possessiveness/territoriality. Having spent my life surfcasting the beaches for over 60 years, I could never live the surf life under that kind of hostility, dark clouds of aggression. The derby seems to inspire more hostility, competitiveness and unwholesome attitudes than is reasonable, to say nothing of cheating and culling. You would not catch Mister Smarty dead at the Derby.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 AM

It's funny you mention that Frank, it seems to be common with respect to "Islanders".

There is a woman who has lived on Brigantine her entire life, a trust fund baby so to speak, and fishes 24x7 (or at least did, haven't seen her name pop up in the last year or so, which is highly unusual...maybe health related).

As a result of her relentless fishing, she always showed up on leader boards for whatever shop or regional tourney was on. Not big on getting her picture in the paper, but her name sure showed up a lot.

However, locals would follow her around, and when they didn't, she still accused them of doing so and stealing her spots. And as a result of hostilities, some actual lawsuits (not fishing, but harassment type) have popped up over the years.

Some things never change...
Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Don't draw attention to yourself and the world will forget you fast. But some anglers like the attention and notoriety of being a big shot highliner. Surfcasting it is too easy to find a person where in boat fishing, for example, there is that added dimention of being way out, close, or somewhere in between.

On the Cape we did have a certain amount of following and looking for us. But for the most part our privacy was respected. Checking the fish slips at the dock had us investigated but we learned to keep the slips out of sight. RI we were always left entirely alone. But I think there was less snooping in RI because a lot of those guys did more beer drinking than surfcasting and just didn't care about who was catching what like on the Cape or MV. And remember that money, selling fish, was a huge incentive to know other people's business. To summarize, and in keeping with the subject of this thread, the Derby had the glory fishing incentive as well as selling the fish afterwards at least back then, the years that Janet is writing about. Remember that while I am a critic of islander behavior, the book is good and true to its mission of inform and entertain.