Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: New bass book.

I agree, Frank. I would not purchase this book, nor be looking to it for any sage advice on fishing.

Perhaps Greg Myerson uses sea birds to find his tropy stripers
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 AM
SS/Veteran

There are a lot of poor books out there. People often believe in their own angling wisdom. Most dangerous are those self published. If an author can't convince a publisher that his idea has merit, how then can he do so with readers? I have said here before that a writer should start with article writing. Then, once he has gained that experience, he is ready to move on to book writing. No one graduates from the Military Academy as a four star general.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Ghost writers, co-authors, helpers impede the direct connection between the source and the reader. There is something about this book that kind of shuts me down. Of course I have not read it. Also, Myerson is a boatman and an angler we never heard of until that one fish. There are so many flash in the pans in fish writing; they get ONE big fish, we hear a lot about it for a year or so then they are gone and the next pan flash comes along.

Great fishermen are usually just lucky. But an author with talent who produces saleable copy over and over, say like John Cole, brings a talent to the industry that some lucky buck is incapable of producing. Still, Walter, I always value your posts and thank you for that.
Great fisherman are lucky...a lot ! Persistent fisherman share the same ground. Maybe they are the same fishermen.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM
SS/Veteran

There is a lot of luck in fishing and one fish here or there does not an expert make. The best striper fisherman I know does not happen to be a writer so you will never see anything in print by him. The guy is a school dropout but has an uncanny ability to catch fish. The situation of writing a book requires two skills -- the knowledge of fishing and the literary requirements of putting it down. Often people do not have both and both are needed.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
There is a lot of luck in fishing and one fish here or there does not an expert make. The best striper fisherman I know does not happen to be a writer so you will never see anything in print by him. The guy is a school dropout but has an uncanny ability to catch fish. The situation of writing a book requires two skills -- the knowledge of fishing and the literary requirements of putting it down. Often people do not have both and both are needed.
True only to a point. Most books are written by people who do research and are not experts in the field. Think historians, that were never there, as an example.

http://imperial-dreams.blogspot.com/...y-through.html

See the above for an example of the authors character work. I have read some of his books and they are serviceable. A good writer but not a poet.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
SS/Veteran

I read your attachment and was suitably impressed. I guess he is a suitable author who researches his work before starting and does a good job. I wish he did something on me, frankly. I still think writing a book his way is doing it the hard way. Much easier to write about something with which you, yourself, are intimate. It obviously works for him.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 PM

I can write a book, provided it's not during happy hour. Something I truly love and know a lot about. I am an expert at catching small stripers, no kidding, and sea robins. In my local waters anyway, so I would have limited distribution.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM
SS/Veteran

My best, most successful books were my first ones -- 20 years, Striper Surf. Later, once I had mistakenly believed that I had talent, I began to produce dogs. Its a lot of work with no guarantee that you will be duly compensated. "Fly Fishing the Striper Surf" taught me a lesson. That dog won't get out of its advance. Of course I still get small royalty checks on all of them but they are not enough to set up the bar for one round for my friends. The steady, safe money is in article writing which, off season when not hunting or fall migration, I do a lot of. You get paid quick and don't have to risk a year's work with some editor who got the job from his wife's father.

In all fairness books did get me out there where I could do seminars, sell books at full mark up, and supplement my teacher's pension. But even that died out and now, at 81, I just mostly hunt and play blackjack. W-T-F, I have had a good run. I quit smoking early enough to make it this far. My friends are all dead. In "Full Metal Jacket" a marine says, "When you are dead, you don't know it."
Old 07-26-2018, 11:26 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Eastern Tides is not a dog, it was just after it's time. For "Fly Fishing the Striper Surf", you already mentioned that there was material omitted from the publication, but a bigger factor was that you were coming from a completely different perspective than most readers of fly fishing publications, IMO.

JoeG: I'll buy your book, since I have a love affair with undersized and junk fish.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM
SS/Veteran

We are talking two books here where each deals with entirely different issues. "Eastern Tides" is a good book but it has to be read by someone looking for literary entertainment, not surfcasting secrets or spot finding. Too many readers don't know themselves what they are looking for.

The fly fishing book targets fly fishermen and they don't do stripers any more than they fish at night. The targeted market of fly fishermen already have their own ideas about how fly fishing should be done and nobody is going to break into that. Having asked myself so many times why the fly book crashed and burned , I see that while those readers would benefit from the book, they are closed to an outsider like me. A lot of understanding can be gleaned from watching all the fly fishermen arriving at the Canal at daybreak when they should be quitting. You can't crack that market. You have to tell those guys what they want to hear and I can't do that. Frankly, I have a low regard for contemporary fly fishing because I know in my core that most do it wrong. The most successful fly fishing book says little about night fishing and not one picture in that book was shot at night. It is a colossal misrepresentation of what I do fly fishing for stripers. To me the wrong book sells better than the right one. In the end the mistake was mine and we can't blame the market for what it wants to hear.

I also think that the book market has evolved in that there are too many striper books, many written by authors who neither know striper fishing nor literature; make no mistake that inform and entertain are valid requirements for success. All a reader needs to experience is one mistake book and he is gone. I think a lot of readers are gone because of it. Today's book market is not the same as it was in 1990. Even article writing is drying up, though thankfully at a slower pace.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Fly fishing at night makes a lot of sense, in the salt and in the rivers and creeks. Fish come tighter to the beach under the cover of darkness. Big fish feed at night, stripers and browns. Why is that so hard to understand ?
You were probably before your time. I'm surprised none of the publications have tapped into your fly fishing experience.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:38 PM
SS/Veteran

They have not tapped in because I have not made any submissions to these publications. I'm a part-timer in retirement who is over 81 and who sells 15 features a year. In addition to fishing and hunting, I manage investments, and waste time professionally. At my age that is a lot.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Its a huge mistake to self-publish a book. No individual can possibly do the marketing leg work a book deserves. Notice that those who do self publish a book never do another.

I have done it, the one time being "Twenty Years on the Cape: My time as a surfcaster." Circumstances were a little unusual in that Tim Coleman, the original publisher, died. The title had been seen the first time around and I was writing other titles which brought a lot of attention to me. I was also doing a lot of seminars and sports shows and hawking the bejabbers out of my titles. Surfcasters would buy "20 Years ?." because they had bought other titles. Being publisher, author and salesman I made a ton of money on that little Cape book

I often ask myself why sales of my titles have gone flat and while I really don't know I think buyers who might buy already have; the surfcaster market is limited; and there are a lot of dog titles that have burned buyers in an already flooded market. I'm done with book writing. Much better to screw around with magazine writing. The risk is small and sale is guaranteed in my case. I do around 12 articles per year and around 6 cases of Scotch.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:53 PM
SS/Veteran

On 2July, few days ago, the well known surf fishing striper Lady, Janet Messineo's new and only book became available at Amazon Books. She's been a friend of mine for probably a dozen or so years.
I ordered two and somehow got three.
The title is CASTING INTO THE LIGHT----TALES OF A FISHING LIFE.
It is 310 pages long, and I remember when she first started worrying over and working on it.
It is an honest and truthful book.
It will be a classic. You don't want to pass it up.
MULE.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:54 PM
SS/Veteran

I have been hearing that she has a title coming out. But Janet, on the other hand, has had a lot of mention in angling media and is well known in striper circles both as an angler and taxidermist. Next thing is whether she has had competent editing. The literary requirements are in place for all authors. Books must inform and entertain which is a rule for all of us. And it has to appeal to a broad enough market. Having 1000 admirers who buy the book does not pay for the effort that goes into it.