Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:24 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Investment Talk -- where is your money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Gold buying is tricky business, Do you buy gold coins or troy ounces?, same with silver. As mentioned "no dividends" and liquidating it when needed is also tricky with fees attached.
That's really my issue with gold or silver: the specifics. Where to buy, do you hold it or hold notes, liquidity, fees, real value.

I don't have the problem with the concept but I'm not going to answer an ad in a magazine saying in large bold letters "BUY GOLD NOW TO PREPARE FOR THE END"
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The only time I had a precious metal was Strategic Silver through EF Hutton which brokered the deal with a commission for them. The agent got a commission for selling it to me but she did not know what she was doing. They eventually fired her. Later the financial world fired Hutton. All the big brokerage houses, say like Fidelity, have precious metal funds; some have a mix of gold, silver and even platinum. I would advise against buying either gold or silver. Too much BS. and is highly speculative.

There was big money made in silver back in the 1970s because the Hunt Brothers were apparently manipulating the price. Joyce and I picked up a few bucks, but we had no clue. Unless you have some sort of game plan, do not screw around with that stuff.

The investment world is full of shysters, insiders and unscrupulous brokers. Do everything you can to check on them. Personally, I do not like to see banks getting into investment business. They should bank, period.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 PM
SS/Veteran

back in 2003 oil was a big gain Dick Cheney ( Halliburton ) made 39.5 billion $$$ from the Iraq invasion , nice hit ..but you had to be in it to win it !
Old 09-04-2015, 04:48 PM

I remember the big Haliburton scandal early in the Iraq war. Makes you wonder how many investors stay away from the market because of the insider trading that goes on at Wall Street. The small investor is never in on the in-the-know shananigans in the world. Of course if you stay away from all that stuff, you get screwed with the under 1% pay-outs on CDs. You have to put your money somewhere.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Funny you mention that company Frank. One of my prospects at work is being bought by them (or has been) which is driving what could be a nice little sale.

In talking to IT leadership in many public and private companies I can say they do slip about mergers and acquisitions once and a while before they are announced. I've never taken advantage of it though.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Mergers and acquisitions are not enough information; you have to know what effect those things are going to have on their stock. Now and then you will hear about somebody jailed for insider trading but that is a mere 1% of what is going on. Damned either way, if you jump into the market you risk being a victim; If you stay out you are certain to lose a ton where you could have made 5%. Safe, you get 1%. Scared money is safest in muny bonds or utilities at 4%.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:26 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm too old for investments to take a -loss then recover , BUT if it was a playing game fast food market , everyone has to eat & know one has the time or knowledge to cook .

Symbol
Equity
Rating
CAKE
CHEESECAKE FACTORY INC
A+
TXRH
TEXAS ROADHOUSE INC
A
ARKR
ARK RESTAURANTS CORP
A
SBUX
STARBUCKS CORP
A
CBRL
CRACKER BARREL OLD CTRY STOR
A
PNRA
PANERA BREAD CO
A-
FRGI
FIESTA RESTAURANT GROUP INC
A-
BDL
FLANIGANS ENTERPRISES INC
A-
CMG
CHIPOTLE MEXICAN GRILL INC
A-
BWLD
BUFFALO WILD WINGS INC
A-
Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 PM
SS/Veteran

It is kind of simple when thinking how to invest. You can kick back in your easy chair and think what things you need and what things are nice to have. Power to your house is a high priority so that leads you to utilities to investigate. Don't think local but think maybe other parts of our country. Think about your telephone service and look at them. What about the search of your cooking and heating? Your looking at your computer and who makes that? That can be tricky because most of our tech toys are in foreign markets. What about those companies that make gasoline in your car? What % do they return for your investment?.

Thoughts--
Old 09-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Those would all be okay but they have been bought up already. We have some Ford, Phizer, Caterpillar, etc. For a killing the right Initial Public Offering but you have to be connected to know which one. Some IPOs are failing companies the original owners see the numbers on and are getting out. You have insiders, book cookers and sundry frauds.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM
SS/Veteran

In my opinion IPO's (initial price offerings again are tricky. I got burnt learning that lesson with Ebay stock. You do not really get the actual figure offering but in a couple of bucks higher and the stock sells hot climbing and climbing. You have hit the golden one until the mutual fund managers sell off their large amounts and the stocks hit the skids. Now how could you tell when those big sellers are going to sell?. I want to talk with Martha S. and find out.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

IPOs were good before "people" knew about IPOs.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM

I think that some IPOs are dumped businesses that the founders are seeing in decline. Make believe that you have a business that has been in the family for generations providing profits. Its your business so you have sales, profits, trends in the industry in front of you that go back many years. As you examine those statistics, sales figures, related numerics, you, better than anyone else, can see that your newspaper is in decline. Now, you change a few things in the books and get out of it before it becomes too obvious that people are buying and reading newspapers less. You have an IPO on the outfit selling shares that now define new owners. You have the money and the poor suckers who have the stock own a declining business. If it was making money for the owners, why would they sell it? In my cul-de-sac there are five families but only one subscribes to a newspaper -- me. Even then I do so for the wrong reasons: to laugh at their BS
Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Stocks are climbing out of the pit from last week. If you bought last week you are in the chips. If you did not you can join that "should have could have club" in which we all have a charter membership.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:03 PM

The market is headed down again today. I have lost interest in watching it because it is just too painful.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:41 PM

We had municipal bonds for years, which, a while back were paying 5% no state or federal taxes. With interest rates so low and rising rates impending, they might not be a good idea. Because in order to pay you more, the principal you bought in with will decline. We still have some paying 5% but many of the earlier ones have been "called". When they are called you are given your principal back because the borrower has rebooted the debt at a lower rate. You don't lose any principal but you do lose the more favorable rate that you had been getting, the 5%. Now, with currently low rates, interest in "Munies" is kind of cold. When we were getting five percent, no taxes, it was kind of popular and felt like you could sleep at night.

Not sure why but Muny Funds pay more. It might be because they have old paper that is not callable. Right now with impending interest rate rise, I'm kind of ascared of munies. Inasmuch as muny bond brokers are advertising like mad, it could be that people out there with a few sheckles or dongs are skittish just like Mister Smarty. I would love a short term CD that paid 4% backed by the full faith and credit of the US of A. But that would be like having dinner with Miss America ..... not likely.