Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Ascared of the Dark?

The only thing that scares me at nite is the possibility of my truck not starting at the tide line and getting swamped. I fish near Atlantic City as well and I always have my Rambo knife at my hip to disuade any punks who are thinking of trying something.

I got a good laugh at Mr Mules post about his friend carrying an arsenal in his pockets, my brother was the same way - he carried nunchuks, Chinese stars, brass knuckles and knives, etc, just in case he encountered a ninja in the suburbs.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM
SS/Veteran

I always felt comfortable that I was "usually" the scariest thing available in the dark (except for sharks,...I hate sharks!)..........JC
Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

One time deer hunting upstate NY I watched a full grown bear for a half hour that was the size of a refrigerator. I was not ascared but I had a repeating 30-06. But snakes make my skin crawl. If I fish somewhere and see a snake -- no matter how good a spot it is, I will not go back there.

Yet, for years I kept live eels in my shirt against my skin and called the eels snakes.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
There are some things that have to happen at night. Coon hunting, bullhead fishing, froggin. Stufflikedat. Add surfcasting for stripahs to that list. Does fishing at night, fumbling around in the dark, give you the willies? Our members gots to know: are you ascared of the dark when you go fishing? Reflect upon experiences that you personally have had that relate to the darkness and your run in with the heebey-jeebies. Tell the truth. We can tell.
I never get scared at night, ever, but I do get startled. Once, a deer jumped literally a couple of feet in front of me while I was walking through high grass at Point Judith; made my heart skip. Another time I was trying to walk down to Black Point with a dead flashlight when coyotes started growling at me (I think me) as I was going through the woods. Other than stuff like that I have grown entirely comfortable with the night, even with thick fog.

The fishing is so much better that you go in spite of your fear and then soon enough realize there is little or nothing to get spooked about.

Nothing scares people more than rats, IMO. I have seen sooooo many people leave the breachways a nuite while the fishing is good because of all the squealing underneath.

I also like distance running for exercise at night with LEDs clamped all over me. A lot less traffic and a lot more wildlife to see. Makes stress disappear.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
SS/Veteran

coyotes at black point? i have seen deer in there,but coyotes,strange.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Fellow

Nifty --- those coyotes were wild dogs or some other growly critter. Coyotes will howl to one another, or for the helluva it, at night but they are very wary and would not let you position them in a threatening fashion. Now, granted, it would be better off if they were coyotes than wild dogs ---- but I just don't think so.

While there are times to be stealthy --- walking through deep grass or woods late at night is not such a time. Best to let the litte beasties know you are about so they can clear the path. Damned near kicked a coon one night at IBSP --- I think that could be a problem.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaugeri View Post
coyotes at black point? i have seen deer in there,but coyotes,strange.

Good point. The reason I figured the growling @ Black Point were coyotes was because later that night/morn I heard that yipping type of howling sound they make so I assumed but I could easily be wrong. We also have them here where I live in CT and I've heard that howl from my house. Nonetheless, I never did actually see them with my eyes so I could be wrong. Either way, growling in that brush sure gave me a start.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
Nifty --- those coyotes were wild dogs or some other growly critter. Coyotes will howl to one another, or for the helluva it, at night but they are very wary and would not let you position them in a threatening fashion. Now, granted, it would be better off if they were coyotes than wild dogs ---- but I just don't think so.

While there are times to be stealthy --- walking through deep grass or woods late at night is not such a time. Best to let the litte beasties know you are about so they can clear the path. Damned near kicked a coon one night at IBSP --- I think that could be a problem.

Yeah, thanks for the info. Like I mentioned in another reply I never did actually see them so I could be wrong but I heard the howling later. Coyotes are wary but put them in the right situation and they can be aggressive. My good friend has a dairy farm and had a hard time keeping them from the newborns. My friends in Voluntown and Griswold hear them howling at night on occasion. They reported dogs but the DEP told them it's coyotes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM

I'm most ascared of dogs. While they are very domestic and perform marvelous things for their masters, they change fast. Some dogs will become more aggressive when with another dog -- pack behaviour. And you can't fool a dog because they smell evrything. Some believe that dogs can even smell your fear and that you bring on an attack by being afraid. (How does one control that?) In my area a lot of people walk daily and we see people walking with baseball bats, golf clubs and sundry instruments of defence.

Also, if you hear howling in the night that is coyotes and they are evrywhere. Northeast coyotes are wolf crosses and because of that they are the largest coyotes in the world. Again, pack behaviour considered, when they are in numbers they have been known to behave aggressively. They have been shot in New York's Central Park. Deer hunters I know all shoot coyotes when they get the chance.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Wild cats and wild dogs are everywhere at one location I fish. My son went to pet a wild cat and it scratched him. I really got it from my wife for letting him get scratched and possibly getting rabies (luckily he didn't). It's pretty creepy to be fishing, then looking over at a boulder and thinking "there's another fisherman over there" only to realize it's not a head torch you're looking at: it's cat eyes.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM

The CT DEP has a page devoted to coyote awareness. They are more troublesome to people than wolves and unpredictable. At times they will definitely try and intimidate a lone person, which is another reason I assumed they were coyotes and not dogs. A couple of years ago up in either NB or Scotia two of them attacked a young woman and killed her. Many people's missing pets are victims of coyotes but I guess it's less painful to think they just ran away. Frank's right, they're everywhere. Their howl can spook you if fishing but it's not nearly as spooky as a wolfs sound. Many coyotes are mistaken for small german shepards. From a distance it's hard to tell.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Senior Fellow

I never realized coyotes would get aggressive with people. I have camped amongst them in Arizona and knew by tracks that curiosity had drawn them close to our campsite --- but we only heard them at night and it was difficult to spot them during the day.

Perhaps these eastern coyotes have a different attitude. I worked adjacent to a large wooded area in the Jersey pines many years ago and recall a large pack of wild dogs. They seemed to be a variety of stray hunting dogs and house pets. I'll never forget the vision of the job super running out of the woods tugging up his pants with about 15-20 hounds nipping at his heels. He resorted to the porta potty after that morning.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM
SS/Veteran

This has been an interesting thread.
I lived in S. New Hampshire for 26 years before moving back to Mass and was on Cape Cod from 2002-2006. We had loads of Coyotes in NH - often heard at night but seldom seen. They would go out of their way to avoid humans face to face but, were often nearby Occasionally I'd see one cross the highway but that was no more often than seeing a Bobcat - maybe 2-3 times each year.
We lived in a fairly well developed area but, after a fresh fall of snow, we always had their tracks right throug our yard

When I lived on Cape Cod they were much more aggressive-especially in winter. I did a lot of beach walking down there. I worked with a group from NE Aquarium that "saved" cold-stunned sea turtles and that was another story, but kept me on the bayside beaches a lot. And of course, in fishing season I was on Nauset and the Monomoys often. When the turtles got cold-stunned they floated onto the beaches. It was important we get to them quickly or the Coyotes would have a meal on them. We did pretty well most years - saving 100 to 150 Kemp Ridley and Green Turtles, mostly but, occasionally a Leatherback or Loggerhead.

I remember walking from Coast Guard beach toward Newcombs Hollow one winter day. I'd gone maybe a mile and a half or two miles north on the beach when I happened to turn around and there was a Coyote about 200 yards behind me. When I stopped, it stopped. When I walked it did to, kind of pacing me but never getting any closer for another mile or so.

When I started back toward CG beach, it turned and I followed it about a quarter mile until it went up into the dunes. A little while later I turned and, it was behind me again. A very creepy feeling, even in broad daylight. I often saw Coyotes on Nauset and on the Monomoy Islands but they were never aggressive. I was always much more concerned in having contact with the many skunks, fox and racoons on those beaches. The year before I moved to the Cape, the canal had frozen over for near a week and the next summer we had the first rabies ever on the island. It spread like wildfire among those critters.
BillH
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

I think Fisher are nocturnal though I have seen them when hunting in daylight. Saw a nice one this week. They say that fisher let out a blood curdling screech. They are making a huge come back in New England. What a beautiful dark pelt they have. (Not a very "ascared" post, but this thread is running down, running its course.)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I think Fisher are nocturnal though I have seen them when hunting in daylight. Saw a nice one this week. They say that fisher let out a blood curdling screech. They are making a huge come back in New England. What a beautiful dark pelt they have. (Not a very "ascared" post, but this thread is running down, running its course.)

I've heard the screech 3 times, once behind my backyard and back then I had no idea what it was. Blood curdling is right! My sister actually saw one while walking in Pachaug State Forest.