Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Ascared of the Dark?

There are some things that have to happen at night. Coon hunting, bullhead fishing, froggin. Stufflikedat. Add surfcasting for stripahs to that list. Does fishing at night, fumbling around in the dark, give you the willies? Our members gots to know: are you ascared of the dark when you go fishing? Reflect upon experiences that you personally have had that relate to the darkness and your run in with the heebey-jeebies. Tell the truth. We can tell.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Ascared of the Dark?

when i'm fishin down da shore, and it's pitch black and da moon be clouded, i is a'scared only if i gots to wade out in da water 'cause dem sonuva beech cruisin' charks might wanna bite me.

dat, and gettin' mugged.

so ... is fishing, particularly surf fishing, more of a social or a loner sporting endeavor?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Rats on a jetty in the dark, the scampering around gives me the super creeps. One even runs over my foot and I will vapor lock. I hate rats!

Guess that means I am not afraid of the dark proper, but afraid of what the dark might bring with it being deprived of sight.

Last edited by Merlin : 11-12-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Fellow

The beach at night is a wonderful place. Although I fish for stripers and drum, two predominantly night feeders, most of the other fisherman depart by sunset. This frequently makes "my beach" like a private little slice of heaven. I am seldom distant from a "friend" but never expect to have to use it.

When I succomb to a nap -normally between 2-5 A.M. -- I lock my valuables in the cab of my truck --- crawl back in the bed with rods spiked by the tailgate, and go to lullaby land. Damned few things can sing you to sleep like to sound of the surf. I find it hard to consider that some wacko would be roaming the beach at night, approach a dark truck and do something very stupid. I know that when I do see others on the beach at night, unless I know they are buddies, I give them wide berth. Not smart to surprise anyone in the dark ---- could be ninja fisherman.

I have watched guys walk over the dune, toss out a line and set on a bucket fishing ALL NIGHT long. Pack up and go home at sunup. Those guys are hard core. I've spend many nights on remote beaches and never saw another human being. The one thing that I am VERY WARY of is playing in the surf, at night, alone.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM

I've never been afraid of the dark, especially on the beach. I probably feel safer there than in a lot of other places. But given a choice, I would rather have good fishing during daylight hours than at night. When things go wrong in the dark, it's a lot harder to get them right again. When fishing a place that I'm not super familiar with, I sometimes have a hell of a time finding my way back to the car at night.

I know a lot of well known fisherman that choose not to fish at night. Lefty Kreh for example. I think Lee Wulff was also not a fan of it. For some people, fishing is a visual experience that is short-changed when done after dark.

And then the other reason I don't fish a lot at night is that I'm not the master of sleep deprivation that some surf fishermen seem to be. I'll fish for a few hours after dark, but rarely deep into the night. If I did, I'd be a mess for a few days.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Wink Re: Ascared of the Dark?

In NJ it never gets really dark, theres always ambient light from somewhere. Last week, without power for 5 days, we found out what dark really is and not many of us liked it. I couldn't see my hand 6 inches from my nose.

Anyway, I'm 54, been surf fishing for 30+ years and never had any fear at night, seemed like your eyes adjusted and the water became what you concentrated on and it even seemed to produce light. Foggy rainy nights just meant you had to wear rain gear and hoods to stay comfortable.

I will say, I found out last week, I really don't like the dark as much as I thought, so ascared might just be a good description cuz' I had the willies and the nights seemed like forever. Then again, maybe it was a case of overexposure to the missus, was on a week long cruise the week before and then locked up 24/7 for another week, the shack nasties can get you quickly.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
... When I succomb to a nap -normally between 2-5 A.M. -- I lock my valuables in the cab of my truck --- crawl back in the bed with rods spiked by the tailgate, and go to lullaby land. Damned few things can sing you to sleep like to sound of the surf. I find it hard to consider that some wacko would be roaming the beach at night, approach a dark truck and do something very stupid. ... . The one thing that I am VERY WARY of is playing in the surf, at night, alone.
surf fishing alone on the ocean beach, in the pitch dark, with no one around, i'd take my big buddy lab watch dog with me ... and my little "buddy" too (remington .45acp).
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
SS/Veteran

I prefer the dark, but that doesn't mean that I don't get scared good by random stuff from time to time. I've had deer and other night creatures scare me, I've fished spots I never expected to bump into someone and gotten quite surprised in finding someone. I've fish spots where I was fearful about others around me (urban spots). I've fish spots where its so dark and very trecherous where your scared to step in the wrong spot. Most of this doesn't present itself until the second or third night of a extended trip, once I am good and tired my brain fails to opperate normally.

Most of the time though there is a fear regarding fishing secluded spots at night by myself. A healthy understanding that the seclusion may be great but if I hurt myself it could mean trouble, serious trouble.

All that said I prefer the night, it feels un-natural to chase them durimg the day and I actually dislike day fishing to such an extent that I've excluded myself from some big blitzs. Night time is the right time.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Reflect upon experiences that you personally have had that relate to the darkness and your run in with the heebey-jeebies:
Apparently, my older brother and sister hated the youngest of the family so much that they used to terrorize me by hiding under my bed at night. I still remember the one night my Dad literally beat the tar out of my sister (an arrestable offense today) for pulling me off of my bed after I had just fallen asleep.

On rare occasion, when alone on a beach that I'm 99% sure there is no one else around I can still get the HJ's. It usually comes from a wave crashing, creating a like sound of maybe a car door slamming or hearing a voice, yes people the surf can talk.

Although it can be disconcerting, I wade myself through it, reassuring myself that one day my sister and brother will pay a dear price.

The funny thing about this is our first house we bought and lived in for twenty years was definately haunted. This ghost was a mischevious one, scaring was not it's real intention. Tools that were being used would disappear forever, especially for contractors working on the house.

One night we were all watching TV in the Rec room and all of a sudden all of the dishes and bowls in one cabinet above the dishwasher came crashing out onto the kitchen floor. We were stunned but at no time in that house did I ever remotely get an inkling of the HJ's. Weird, must have been Casper?

Doug
Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
SS/Veteran

I think a cold, howling wind and surf can sometimes spook me a bit. But for the most part I love sneaking around at night and never got ascared. Although I'm always afraid I'm going to scare a skunk and I've come close a few times.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 AM
SS/Veteran

The only time that I have been spooked enough to leave was one night on the Hatteras Point. The fishing conditions had been terrible for a couple days. Blowin' sand etc., terrible.
About 9:00 that night, conditions still pretty bad inland with a strong, sand blowin' wind, we rode out to the Point. Nobody there------ where at that time of night you could count on, at the very least, a dozen vehicles, good conditions or bad, with usually about half of'em harboring sleeping fishermen.
A long dry bar ran out about 125 yards, and, something unheard of on the Point, no wind, not even a breeze, and the water was slick calm, like in a bath tub, no waves, never saw it like that in 40 years.
We geared up and my friend, scarred of nothing, walked out about 150 feet East of me.
We started Drum fishing, and the longer I stood there, the more my imagination for disaster started gettin' the best of me, what the devil is goin' on out here?
Pretty soon, ole scarred of nothin' sashayed over to me, spooked as hell.
We couldn't get out'a there fast enough.

MULE.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

On the beaches at night other buggies will commonly fish a spot then move on. So there is a kind of buggy musical chairs going on all the time. You are standing in the surf with nothing better to do but observe other casters. A lot of the guys exhibit an all-abiding fear of the dark. You can see it when they decide to move, they will go back to their rig and shine the light all over it --back seat,under the buggy. You can see they are spooked. Also, if they often turn around while retrieving, as though they feared being sneaked up on, they are spooked. It seems to me that the guys from the big cities exhibit this commonality more than the sheet-kickers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
SS/Veteran

I had a scare on Nauset when I lived on Cape Cod. The first was the 2nd night of a huge run of adult Bunker into the inlet. It was low tide and pea soup fog and we were way out on the south spit into a run of nice fish. The waves were breaking but every now and then they would slow down it it got quiet. During one of those lulls we both hears splashing behind us and just thought it was more bunker being pushed up on the bar. As the tide started in and we started to head for the beach we were crossing a shallow trough when there was a tremendous splashing and two big Grey Seals went out of the trough not more than 5-6 feet from us. Scared the beejeebers out of us both.

Another time, at first light, probably in 1995 Red Clark and I had landed his boat on shallow bar at the opening cut between North Monomoy and South Beach in Chatham. The cut was impassable at that time at all but 3/4 tide. We were out of Red's boat and chucking big flies into the fast outgoing current on the Monomoy side when Red hollared and pointed up-current. There were a pod of 8-10 big Grey Seals swimming toward us. When they got to the other side of the bar, they milled around and suddenly came over the bar in about 6" of water directly at us!!! We were too far to get back to the beached boat so we just stood there as the pod split and half went to our right and the others to our left, over the bar and into deep water. Those suckers were well in excess of 300 lbs. each and really moving. They went by within a flyrod length on each side of us. We were both pretty well shaken by the experience and never got out of the boat again anywhere near a big seal.
BillH
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

It's not the dark you have to worry about, it's the two legged things that go bump in the dark that you ave to worry about. Since I fish mostly at the state park now, that is a non-issue, when I fished in Monmouth County, you were rarely alone and kept your wits about you.

I do hate when I turn back to the buggy and see shadows moving. Damn foxes startle me every time.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM

I think I scare people in the dark because I'm 6'5 240 and its hard for me to sneak up on anyone. Sometimes I will take my cat Precious, which is even more scary. Funny thing happened last week, my son was fishing off a boat ramp and looked down and saw a large rat swimming. Imagine being in the dark, a little spooky already, then a rat is swimming by. I think it may have scarred him for life.