Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
For the record, I probably should not have jumped on the climate change thing. But I did see the parallel I thought you were trying to make with how scientists and the public analyze complicated situations -- the striper population vs. global climate. I also realize that climate change is "political," but it shouldn't be political, so I don't think of it as a taboo subject.

Also I feel like everyone around here has been very touchy lately.
Andy

I think you should have jumped on the discussion (glad you did) and there is a parallel with fish population discussions.

You and I have somewhat similar scientific backgrounds along with a passion for fishing. My career involved finance concentrating on high tech companies. An MBA was my primary business tool but my scientific doc dissertation in biochemistry was on ocean temperature changes, their cause and affect.

You are also spot on about the elimination of politics from the discussion. I suspect that many here viewed my questions as a political statement but they were not. I was simply making an attempt to poll the group about their opinions. The resultant "knee-jerk this is politics" reaction was unfortunate.

We learn through research, discussion and, yes, disagreement and debate. The important concept is to keep the debate constructive and productive. Politics usually impedes the process.

My opinion, on climate change and fish populations (related or not related), is that we know some of the symptoms but the causes are varied and murky. The human condition is such that we want answers and we want those specific answers now. The answers to these issues are just not that simple and will take more time for complete investigation in a scientific, not political, way.

Another human condition, referring to your "touchiness lately" observation, is that most of us suffer from overload, much of which is unpleasant. We go fishing in an effort to relax, follow our passions and have a momentary escape from that overload. Then this salmontogue guy comes along asking questions we would rather not address.

The questions are relevant and ignoring the issues is at our peril.

DP
Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
MR. SALMONTOGUE-----Your fourth, now fifth from the last post was outstanding. you summed up an entire book on personal, common sense communication with just a few lines. Whether it's about climate change, water Buffalo breeding, or whatever, so what? Just read another man's opinion and let it go at that. It is what it is. Now a face to face confrontation can be a tad different, but we don't have that here.
I've always said (and I damn sure include myself in this transgression ) that a heated argument is usually just two people demonstratin' their ignorance to each other and the public.

MULE.
How did you know I had a pet water buffalo? Natural runoff from its habitat has polluted the local brook trout fishery and the locals would like to eliminate the buffalo but none have a .458 Win Mag to accomplish that safely...joking, of course.

My only opinion on the climate and fish population discussions is that the scientific community has a lot more work to arrive at an educated and comprehensive understanding of the subject.

If you read my response to Andy, you will see where I am on the discussion....undecided.

There is a lot of ignorance in the world and I would be remiss by not admitting my own contribution.

DP
Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Its nothing taht we can insist upon, but I wish when people start a thread that they would come back and reflect upon my response.Twice this week threads were put up and the originator never came back. Tieing Rebels Directly and Long Bar. Are we that bad?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Its interesting to observe how varied participation can be here. One day we have ten hot topics enjoying 50 posts and the next zero visitations. I expected low subscription this holiday weekend but the hurricane kept everybody off the water so they should have been here. Go figure .....
Old 01-11-2016, 10:48 AM

Members should be more cautious about following a thread's basic subject. Digressions which have nothing to do with the thread you post on end up hijacking the thread. If you have something to say but it does not fit, start a new thread.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Members should be more cautious about following a thread's basic subject. Digressions which have nothing to do with the thread you post on end up hijacking the thread. If you have something to say but it does not fit, start a new thread.
Duly noted...If I was the transgressor, and I think I was, I apologize.
I will be more cautious in the future.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM

Yes, Bob, you were the person. Too bad, it was a popular thread that members were enjoying. Our views skyrocketed while it was active and when it went south it started down the page and fell of the planet's edge. We have had things like that before but usually they die after running out. Rarely while active.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
SS/Veteran

The solution is to have comments upvoted and downvoted like the website Reddit. The poster asks a question and comments are "rated." You can also respond to the comments and make mini threads within threads. If someone responds off topic it doesn't get upvoted (or gets downvoted if people disagree). For instance, Frank asks "what's the best bait for bass." Someone responds with "Bunker chunks." and it gets upvoted to the top. So you get a rating system built in.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 PM

Andrew, I think you are a loyal trusted contributor who I would love to have one of our grand-daughters come home with. But your suggestion is more complictated than breeding an elephant with a rhino. Gee-hosaphats, if a person finds a thread boring, read and contribute to a different thread, and as said earlier, start a new one. I am not bitching about acceptance by rating system. What gets my XXX is that we have something going that is obviously popular and two guys decide that they would like to address marigold maintenance in oblivious disregard to both the subject and its popularity. We had such a nice thread, that members were really enjoying and contributing to and along come these guys so obsorbed in what they wanted to post that they completely left the subject. Its dead and they killed it.

I can revive it but I think its high time that everyone who killed it admit their transgression. And if its worth reviving that someone involved with its demise come forward. This example of malfeasant membership has really gotten my a*s! You can't do anything around here without somebody phucking it up.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Oh, I'm not saying change the website. I'm just saying that it is in the nature of this format for threads to get off track. There are different formats where that is less likely to happen.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM

I watch our views as a measure of popularity of the site. When we have an interesting bunch of threads that people want to come to daily the place is active. If you kill a thread, you are, in effect killing the site. Long term that could have an influence on banner sales. Just look back at some of the good ones, Caroline Woolner for example. People could not wait day to day to see her posts because her father, Frank Woolner, was a luminary in SW fishing and also championed fishing the beach. But in that case her participation ran its course just as most threads do. That is expected.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I watch our views as a measure of popularity of the site. When we have an interesting bunch of threads that people want to come to daily the place is active. If you kill a thread, you are, in effect killing the site. Long term that could have an influence on banner sales. Just look back at some of the good ones, Caroline Woolner for example. People could not wait day to day to see her posts because her father, Frank Woolner, was a luminary in SW fishing and also championed fishing the beach. But in that case her participation ran its course just as most threads do. That is expected.
maybe you can use a new marketing strategist . Digital marketing is & has been very successful , sites close every day as quick as the start up .... you know even the old bartender can't hold the crowd forever
Old 01-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Chuck, all we need here is to use common sense. The site has done well for all 16 years that I have been here. Even better recent years now that I know what I am doing. Moreover, our members have come to understand what they are expected to do which is to put up interesting threads, make contributions which fit the thread, meaning stay with the same subject. Lurk, if you can't think of something appropriate, which I do a lot of. The right choice of new thread is even a bigger contribution. Threads commonly have variable acceptance levels. Threads run out of steam because there is a limit to how much can be said.

I get vicarious satisfaction going to "Fiction" now and then because over there nobody cares what people put up and they commonly post real crap both in thread choice and response. Reading them is therapeutic for me because I take pride in not running such a psycho ward.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

We are evolving into a social media site away from surfcasting for stripers. That slow change does not offend me because I have had so much of striper fishing in my life that I welcome the digression from time to time. I am writing no less than one striper article per week as it is so when I spend an hour per day here doing stripers I am kind of ODing on the subject. Do you feel that it is bad to digress to snow storms, shooting/hunting, Scotch? Or, do you like the present balance which includes both?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:11 PM

Frank, I personally like the balance of fishing focus and other topics of interest to our cast of characters here. Plenty of fishing and a personal touch to other topics, I think when you get to know each other around here it's only natural that we talk about A LOT of fishing stuff and a bit of other stuff...for me I enjoy the hunting shooting thread, the scotch thread, the beer (in a glass haha) thread, s.n.f.odds and ends, storms and snow etc. it's all fun and interesting. How else would I know that you like scotch with oysters before you sweet talk women into the back seat? Haha
-Phil