Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

We have become popular and get a lot of hits/views. You lurkers ought to think about posting questions and get the ball rolling on striper shore fishing or fishing in general. The best way to do that is ask a question, even if you already know the answer. We need more fresh material from different members or lurkers to keep our entertainment value and numbers up. We don't bite.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Its a free country but one does not have to be a member of anything if they want to Goggle information. I avoid goggleing because the information is not from my experience.
Frank, you might want to go to Google and type in your name. You will find a ton of places that are espousing your information and you - all good stuff about you and the striper surf.
BillH
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM

I just did it but it showed pretty much the same stuff that has been there for years. I kept the dog thing from the fly fishing site in my favorites for entertainment.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM

We have a lot of dead theads to which I find difficult to respond. Digressions, protocol violations, non-sequitors. Half the time I don't know what people are talking about.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM

If you want more entertainment, read some of the old threads. I just called up "Arnold Laine" on the search function and killed two hours! Also, if you like an old thread and want to revisit the subject, just post something and that thread, even if 10 years old, will come up and begin circulation again. I do it here all the time.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
If you want more entertainment, read some of the old threads. I just called up "Arnold Laine" on the search function and killed two hours! Also, if you like an old thread and want to revisit the subject, just post something and that thread, even if 10 years old, will come up and begin circulation again. I do it here all the time.
Oh boy! Do I remember that one! I ruffled a few feathers on that thread...
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM

When I first came here I was a kind of a virgin and was not ready for the traps and attacks. I think the Arnold Laine thread was the last really bad shitstorm. I don't know if it is because I have more support now or I have more experience now or if some of the Internet trolls have wised up. It is, is a better place.

Anybody remember a guy "Tomat" who heard from someone who caught me and Joyce filleting shorts in the dunes at Nauset? That was a pissah .
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Fishing sites such as these are prone to thread hijacking and shameless self- promotion by individuals seeking notoriety, which tends to inhibit less "accomplished" contributors from interacting in many of the discussions. I believe that you(Frank) have gained the respect of the surf fishing community visiting this site, both through your fishing experience and your ability to see through a post which sets off your BS meter. It is however a difficult task to try and inhibit the BS without killing a thread or deterring overall discussion. This is just the nature of "chat" room as opposed to a bar room, where you can set a true BS'er straight. Tomat,who seems to have disappeared, I am quite sure, heard that story from one of the more prolific tale tellers recently involved with this site, but I am sure that you have already drawn your own conclusions as to it's origin.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM

My interest is beyond piqued. I am going to go onto Google now and type "Arnold Laine" or maybe "Laine Diagnault."
Old 03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

problem is most of the, uh, "juicy" posts have already been removed by that rabble-rouser ragman

what's left is just a trace hint at what went on in the thread!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Rob and DM, I just dug it up.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Nail on the head from Justfishin: "Tomat,who seems to have disappeared, I am quite sure, heard that story from one of the more prolific tale tellers recently involved with this site, but I am sure that you have already drawn your own conclusions as to it's origin."

I didn't have to draw a conclusion. Tomat said right here who told him that. But I'm surprised that you seem to have figured that out. People have this polianic perception of the old days on the Cape when in fact some of these same people reported "violations" to the beach patrol to screw their competition. There were assaults, drug use, wild stories circulated to discredit other regulars. Socially, it was a cesspool bad enough to make you miss the seals.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Frank, I don't think that there is enough emphasis put on the difference in behavior between today's catch and release (for the most part) surf fishermen and the "Gold Rush" mentality of the crews roaming the Cape beaches during the heyday of the late 70's and early 80's. Though we all have great memories of the events that transpired during those years, those of us with CLEAR recollection cannot deny that a lawless, Wild West mentality prevailed and your fellow fishermen were not necessarily your friends. Drugs, violence, lack of etiquette, we had it all, which is probably why ,besides your books, there are few if any about this era on the Cape.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Well, Justfishin, why don't you start a thread to that effect. If that is too much, I would, but off hand, I don't see that human nature has evolved all that much. What happened on the Cape then and what is happening now would require a person with intimacy with both periods. If you are hinting that some people as commercials went crazy, I submit that they were nuts before they got there. I can only respond for myself and nobody has asked me yet. I am willing to answer any "Ask Frank" when there is a question. Say so if you want me to address this, whatever it is. I welcome new threads, new conversations. And I value your input, your views, any response.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM

I would love to discuss the difference between then and now in depth but as of now I haven't been able to come up with a thread that adequately addresses the differences in approach and overall behavior. With fish worth anywhere from $25 - $100 apiece in abundance, is it any wonder that the dregs of society eventually infiltrated the fishery. It happens in any boom type fishery (currently sea scallops), but that was a rare era when a resource that strong could be accessed from the beach. Today's sharpies don't fish for money as much as for the recognition and notoriety that they parlay into free tackle from "sponsors" and the corresponding action on the lecture circuit(just one more video on "How to load a Redfin" and we should all be successful). It is the era of sharing your supposed "expert" knowledge with everyone and helping them to be better fishermen, albeit for your own personal gain.
I can't remember anyone in the commercial era who was supplied with the best and latest tackle by a manufacturer due to their achievements on the beach. A trophy, a modest cash prize or possibly a custom rod from a tackle shop, or club tournament was the best you could hope for , and you know way more than me about what goes on in these instances( though I have witnessed some beauties).This has the makings of a very long thread.