Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

In the Cianci movie that they are supposed to make, based on the book, The Prince of Providence, "Snacks" McManus, the corrupt Providence Tax Assessor, he was my great uncle.
Snacks used to say, "You'd be surprised how cheaply people can be bribed."
Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I'm about 4 books behind in my reading so it's going to be a while before I get to the two "new" books posted here.

But agree with the policy of allowing the other discussions and hope other members can jump in with comments like Mr. Sinks which are always insightful in his 'aw shucks' way
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The life blood of this site is the posing of new questions that pertain to the striper surf. Even if you think something has been put up before, never hesitate to start a new thread. Also, think twice about overly engaging in private conversations. Not that it is a big deal, but it does close down interest in the thread. Conversely, a lively discussion that raises more pertinent questions incites interest and pushes buttons on our members. A good thing.

I would advise that when somebody has another member down, try to avoid piling on. All that does is inspire confrontation and/or drive him away. More important, they remember what happened and who did it to them.

Lastly, and we just had a ton of this, do not come here to sell things to our members. There are ways for you to buy a banner if you want to market something.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Also, think twice about overly engaging in private conversations.
This is one of my pet peeves. Nothing will kill my interest in a thread more than seeing, Hey, Charley! Ya wanna meet at the Guzzles at 10 tomorrow night!, followed by five more posts between Charley and his nitwit buddy. I immediately stop reading when I see something like this. Fortunately it almost never happens here.

My rule of thumb is that what you post should be intended for everyone here: the person who started the thread, Frank, and everyone else reading. If your intended audience is one person, like Charley, use email. I don't fool myself into thinking that anything I post here is all that worthy of attention (excepting, perhaps, the comedic value of my Kentucky Derby picks), but the poor scribblings that I post here are intended for everyone/anyone to read.

The other thing that I think kills interest is clubbiness. Yes, a lot of guys have been hanging at the bar here for a long time, and know a lot about each other. But it bugs me when stuff is written that a newbie won't understand -- when one posts stuff, one should keep in mind the outsider, the guy who just found this place, and is peeking in the window, trying to figure out if it's worth coming inside. These guys and gals should be welcomed, because new blood is a good thing around here.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM

I too stop reading when people begin planning in personal discussions. Its so easy to kill a good thread. Then we have the code talkers who deliberately keep their conversations mysterious so that we think we are missing something.

I know we just had a bad spell but we haven't had the trouble lately that we used to have when we first started. BTW, this recent trouble I was warned about through a number of e-mails. I saw it coming but I couldn't do anything.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I too stop reading when people begin planning in personal discussions. Its so easy to kill a good thread. Then we have the code talkers who deliberately keep their conversations mysterious so that we think we are missing something.

I know we just had a bad spell but we haven't had the trouble lately that we used to have when we first started. BTW, this recent trouble I was warned about through a number of e-mails. I saw it coming but I couldn't do anything.
This week we caught up to the old days!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM

With the recent round of forum disruptions, I thought of the forum saying that says "Don't feed the trolls." It is referring to internet "trolls" who troll disruptive, inflammatory, insulting and generally negative posts hoping to stir up trouble. This breed of internet creep is looking for attention, and to get a rise out of people. If you feed them by reacting to it, they will continue. If you ignore them, they troll another forum until they get a reaction.
So. don't feed the trolls Ignore them, and they get bored and go away most of the time.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Sign should be posted on the banner on the website...
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM

What kills lme are the guys who come in here and attack and malign me publicly in front of all my friends and supporters. Then they send me a PM to privately apologize for their indescretion. Public attack -- private apology.

I thought a troll was a smallish guy who stands on your pillow while your sleeping and pinches your nose .
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
This goes on in the NJ forum, so tired of it that I don't even check that section of the site any longer. There are a few guys who post only to brag about how many fish they caught to their 2 or 3 buddy's on the site, they really don't offer any advice just the "look at me". I really wish there was a "block user" option on the forum, I belong to the other Striper forum too and I have about 25-30 guys on that site blocked, its beautiful not having to wade thru the idiots to get to a good post.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I think the personal discussions are a result of folks feeling comfortable. I know I am guilty of it sometimes... People like to connect with those they are comfortable with, and that should come as a compliment to this forum. However, when it goes on and on is when I think people get bored and move on. I try to keep an eye on them, but dont like deleting posts. I think most will see when Frank stops responding, he is fed up, and will knock it off...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
I think the personal discussions are a result of folks feeling comfortable. I know I am guilty of it sometimes... People like to connect with those they are comfortable with, and that should come as a compliment to this forum. However, when it goes on and on is when I think people get bored and move on. I try to keep an eye on them, but dont like deleting posts. I think most will see when Frank stops responding, he is fed up, and will knock it off...
I had a personal discussion infraction recently, and I think you are right. The fact that we all ended up here means we have something in common, so you feel comfortable and start socializing
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
What kills lme are the guys who come in here and attack and malign me publicly in front of all my friends and supporters. Then they send me a PM to privately apologize for their indescretion. Public attack -- private apology.

I thought a troll was a smallish guy who stands on your pillow while your sleeping and pinches your nose .
So true FRANK.----I've talked about this for years-----Someone makes a fool out of someone in public or in a crowd, and then comes back and apologizes. The damage is done and irreversible-----They can stick their apology up their A**. It's happened to me and the only way I could ever get over it was to whip their ever loving-----. The problem is, is that it usually comes from a friend, and you are too shocked and embarrassed to respond at the time until you have time to steam over it. Coming from a perfect stranger----no problem----settled on the spot.

MULE.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks, Mule. I see your support regularly.

What I am having trouble saying is how sensitive repeated attacks have made me. I am trying to maintain an interesting, pleasant and informative situation here for surfcasters and I accomplish that through a natural spontaniety. If I come here worried about some sniper from out of the blue it stiffens me, holds me back. Instead of saying how I feel about something, I am mulling the consequences of response. Not saying a difference of opinion would be unwelcome. But differences have to be handled more delecately than support. This month, for the first time in years, I have had days when I did not want to come here. This apparently has come through from the PMs I have been getting. I can't even hide it.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM

I haven't been able to make contact because my computer has been down all week. With rain in the forcast, I will catch up tomorrow. ( Doesn't look like anybody noticed, Frankie.)