Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

Digressions are bad for a thread. All should try to stay on the subject that inspired the thread. But I think that once a thread has been beaten to death, all aspects examined, and little is left to say, the tendency to drift off subject is quite natural. I see no problem with that. Of course we do have a thread for odds and ends where digressions and non-subjects should be posted. But again, nothing policy wise is important enough for anyone to get all upset. Use of the Ladies Entrence is allowed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

A couple of times I've broken the "Frank First" protocol. I'm really guilty of digressing. If I confine my responses to straight-up fishing related, I find I don't have much to add. That's probably not such a bad thing: to err on the side of under, rather than over-participation.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I've been guilty of breaking the protocols due to just using "New Posts" on top and then jumping in and responding without seeing where the post resides.

Also guilty of bad digressions as my mind is random (probably kept me from advancing in my jobs, but also kept me in some jobs because I view life through a different lens then others, but I digress... )

I have no problem with the protocols, also because of my own faults, have a lot of tolerance for others transgressions!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Isn't breaking of the protocols somethning like failure to read the instructions? I also think we have a lot of members who post on any number of other sites and they forget where they are and err. What I love about things here is that we have no where near the hostility and sucker punching we had years ago. It is as though the Internet has come of age. Also, I love to see people up front when they register and begin posting and flat out say who they are. It seems to me that if a person has noble intent, he/she would not sneak around "hee, hee, he don't know who I am." Cute .....

I don't see any need for a person to limit their posts. As long as a person is bringing something to a thread or idea -- and I don't think that standard has to be high -- contributions give our members some good reading. We have some minds around here that scare me because I can't keep up with them.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I remember back when I first joined here, I read this forum, but was afraid to post. After reading a bit I realized ANYONE can post, and not be afraid of being looked down upon. It has continued to this day, even after being added as a moderator.
All it takes is reading the protocols, being civil, and enjoying.
Yeah, I "whack" the protocol breakers when they happen, usually after someone PM's me about it. Sometimes people will ask why, and I tell them. The people that enjoy the forum are usually fine with with the explaination, those with an axe to grind toward Frank or anyone else who visits aren't and they usually fade away.
I would keep things the way they are, just my opinion
Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 AM
SS/Veteran

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
With the pissin war we had a couple of weeks ago, it was broke.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
With the pissin war we had a couple of weeks ago, it was broke.
Not sure how but I think I missed that. Was it about protocols?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Not sure how but I think I missed that. Was it about protocols?
Yes, two reliable and trusted members went orbital when one of our admins took down their protocol breaking posts. I saw it all as an over-reaction that generated an inordinate amount of hostility. It reminded me how touchy members can be as well as the pain and suffering admins here are put through. It made me wonder if the protocols were a bad idea. I was getting a lot of PMs over it. Thankfully, all our undies have dried out.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Lighten up Francis! Sheet goes and flies by often, no hard feelings and a elbow hug at the end of the session or a day later is had.

Do you Francise kill house flies this time of year with a .44 magnum? If so I can send you a fly swatter and save the floors and walls.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Yes, two reliable and trusted members went orbital when one of our admins took down their protocol breaking posts. I saw it all as an over-reaction that generated an inordinate amount of hostility. It reminded me how touchy members can be as well as the pain and suffering admins here are put through. It made me wonder if the protocols were a bad idea. I was getting a lot of PMs over it. Thankfully, all our undies have dried out.
And I wasn't the one that did it either. Whew!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm not complaining. Admins had to dump the posts.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Today I had the pleasure of putting up discussion on two striper books written by members. I am aware that many of our regulars wanted to discuss them but had concerns about mention of competing with my own titles. And while I appreciate the sensitive nature of doing so, and that there might have been concerns with interferring with my sales, those of you who held back could have paid me no greater compliment. The safe thing in so fragile and sensitive a situation was to let me do it. There is room in the world for more than one book. My compliments.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Today I had the pleasure of putting up discussion on two striper books written by members. I am aware that many of our regulars wanted to discuss them but had concerns about mention of competing with my own titles. And while I appreciate the sensitive nature of doing so, and that there might have been concerns with interferring with my sales, those of you who held back could have paid me no greater compliment. The safe thing in so fragile and sensitive a situation was to let me do it. There is room in the world for more than one book. My compliments.
The fact that those authors speak with you, on this site, in front of all of us, tells me you all have respect for each other. Like you said about stripers and fly fishing...you make each other look good!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM

I know many of the guys involved and owe them favors because of the way they respected Joyce and I in the past, outside of this site. Some of them, Dennis Zambrotta and Bill Hubbard for instance, hired me years ago to do seminars for their clubs. The connections in the striper fishing world go back long and stretch far. One guy, can you believe this, UPS'd a large bottle of DeWars Scotch to me. (They buy you cheap, Frank.)