Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

I wonder if a more formal presentation would have helped it. You know, hard cover, interior color photos -- jazz it up a bit. The first printing, and no reflection on the late Tim Coleman, who was its ediror and advocate, had a blank white back cover. Second time around we put a nice back cover of Momma J on a Cape sunrise. It cost nothing to put that picture on the book -- a thing missed the first time around. Paperback books are okay but something that a reader wants to keep and reference from time to time should have a more upscale presentation. (If you want to know if yours is a first edition, just look at the back cover. A first will be blank, just white.)
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM

You could put the blonde stuck at the beach on the cover of the next edition. That should garner some interest from even the non surfcasting crowd.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemon View Post
You could put the blonde stuck at the beach on the cover of the next edition. That should garner some interest from even the non surfcasting crowd.
Take another look at the woman that is aready on the back cover and tell me some blond would be better.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Never forget, and I know I am always saying this, so just shut up and listen: I want to be remembered as a great writer; any ashhole can fish!
What?! I can't believe you actually said that!
Listen, I read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good read for someone who is interested in the sport. But don't get the idea that you're Hemmingway! And that last part of your comment is just insulting. Get a grip. You're just a guy with some skills like the rest of us "ashholes".
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogfish View Post
What?! I can't believe you actually said that!
Listen, I read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good read for someone who is interested in the sport. But don't get the idea that you're Hemmingway! And that last part of your comment is just insulting. Get a grip. You're just a guy with some skills like the rest of us "ashholes".

Poor form on your part, I'd suggest you find another site to post your nonsense.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Poor form on your part, I'd suggest you find another site to post your nonsense.
He is entitled to put up anything he wants. I'm sure he knows he doesn't have to come here. I prefer to think that he misunderstood my position and what I meant, the context of from where I said it. Besides, who we got to replace Shiracca and the Cape real estate agent's pissograms? I need a little slapdown now and then. And, I appreciate your support, Jon. (I gots to know, who is Hemingway?)

The most distressing thing above is the nice letter that Mike put up and later took down.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Hemingway? Never heard of him or this Mike guy.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Frank will be remembered as the greatest writer of surfcasting genre of his time. I guarantee it.
There is a significant distinction between writers and the rest of the as_holes: when the writer and all who refute him are dead: writers have the last word. It's their view, their opinions, that carry weight. They write the history, they set the stage, they relay the context of their time. It's not uncommon for writers of modest stature to undergo an apotheosis upon their passing and for their work to be considered much more important. Even Richard Nixon, mainly due to his post-resignation writings, has experienced a degree of redemption. And Nixon was a helluva a lot meaner than Frank.
Not all of Hemingway's work was well-received. But you can't name the critics that panned those works either. H.L. Mencken is the only critic of the 20th Century that half-literate people can name and he was a nut case. The people who are forgotten are those who leave no mark.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
He is entitled to put up anything he wants. I'm sure he knows he doesn't have to come here. I prefer to think that he misunderstood my position and what I meant, the context of from where I said it. Besides, who we got to replace Shiracca and the Cape real estate agent's pissograms? I need a little slapdown now and then. And, I appreciate your support, Jon. (I gots to know, who is Hemingway?)

The most distressing thing above is the nice letter that Mike put up and later took down.
Frank, I could restore his post, but rarely do that if the author deltes his own post. There must be a reason he did so, and unless you or the poster says otherwise, it stays how it is...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 AM

No, leave it in Limbo. He has a right to change his mind. Deletion is a good member option. It was so positive, so in favor, that I liked reading it. We can move on.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I'm glad I didn't interfere in this thread but was sorely holding back.

IMHO Daignault's work speaks for itself, no one in recent outdoor writing has been able to "paint the pictures" as in Twenty Years on the Cape or Eastern Tides better than Frank. That's what writing is all about, using our language to spark the imagination of the reader.

Some outdoor writers have taken that to the extreme, as bad as cheap romance novels while others are no better than poorly written text books.

Hemingway? I had to read all his books in high school and college. His use of our language was at the 9th grade level at best. I re-read A farewell to Arms and the Old Man and the Sea a few years ago, hated both. The Old Man and the Sea is an atrocious book. I know he won a Noble in Literature but that was more because he was a publicity hound plus we all know about Nobel prizes.

I am impressed by writers like Jack London and William Manchester who had full command of the English language. London was a novelist and Manchester a historian and biographer, their work is simply beautiful.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Well said Bob. Both 20 Years amd Eastern Tides were both so well written that they serve as a nice alternative to actually going out and doing the work myself. During winter I could read either repeatedly and never get tired of the stories.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Ya know who else isn't Hemingway? Hemingway! He shot himself...Frank lives on...
Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Ya know who else isn't Hemingway? Hemingway! He shot himself...Frank lives on...
WELL said FZ.
FRANK'S books are in a league by themselves. I think a lot of people just don't
understand that FRANK D. has many different sides and moods that manifest themselves at different times.
People gotta learn that you cannot compare one writer with another. No----I said that wrong----You can't judge one writer by another. I like a truck load of writers, and I have my favorites---FRANK, HEMINGWAY, and RUARK being three of them, as well as SEVERAL ON THIS VERY WEB SITE who may not be "officially" recognized as professional writers.
RUARK worshiped HEMINGWAY, and cloned his style, and did a damn good job of doing so.

MULE.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Senior Fellow

Some folks find Zane Grey's writing dry and uninteresting --- I actually enjoyed it and have read all of his work. I have also read every FD book and plan to reread them this summer --- I think they are easy reading, which, to me means good reading. Different than reading Hemingway with all his twisted and blurred messages. Don't get me wrong --- enjoyed most of his work, but Isles in the Stream is one of my favorites and a pretty straightforward fishing story with a strong message. Favorite short story from HW might be Short, Happy life of Francis McComber.

I just finished a book by Matt Rigney, In Pursuit of Giants, taht I think everyone on this site would enjoy --- regardless of political persuasion.

Hard to beat Jeff Shaara if you like historical novels.

Twenty Years on the Cape is on my "classics" shelf --- combining two of my favorite
pastimes, family and fishing, with many interesting factoids about an industry that, until I read the book, I never even realized existed makes for enjoyable and informative reading --- and I think that combo is hard to beat.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"