Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

That may be true today but when I was there Mack Reed was the only towny. Positively no townies fished Nauset other than Reed. In P-town there was George DeRosa and Conrad. Oh, sure the big money on the beach got around town but they didn't know how to fish.

You'll have to forgive me, Bill, but I have a strong prejudace against Cape natives. If one of our kids dropped their ice cream cone, and was crying, those bricks would charge her for the next one. Nickerson paid 20 cents for bass while Seafood Packers paid a dollar. Who dug the tank traps on the track at Nauset? Who wine and cheeze partied with the rangers to get us kicked out?

Bill, I love you like a brother and I never forget who took Joyce and me out to dinner. But you have a hosed down perception of Cape Cod natives. Of course that was then and this is now ...
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
That may be true today but when I was there Mack Reed was the only towny. Positively no townies fished Nauset other than Reed. In P-town there was George DeRosa and Conrad. Oh, sure the big money on the beach got around town but they didn't know how to fish.

You'll have to forgive me, Bill, but I have a strong prejudace against Cape natives. If one of our kids dropped their ice cream cone, and was crying, those bricks would charge her for the next one. Nickerson paid 20 cents for bass while Seafood Packers paid a dollar. Who dug the tank traps on the track at Nauset? Who wine and cheeze partied with the rangers to get us kicked out?

Bill, I love you like a brother and I never forget who took Joyce and me out to dinner. But you have a hosed down perception of Cape Cod natives. Of course that was then and this is now ...
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Love you too, Frank but.....................

I can name right off at least two guys who fished Nauset commercially from right after WW-II. George Stewart moved to Eastham after the war and died 2 yeas ago. He fished Nauset regularly before, during and after the times you were a regular there and sold his fish and I'm sure he never partied with rangers. He owned a camp back of Newcombs Hollow and sued the feds to try to save it and prevent the seashore. I knew George well and worked for his son, Eric.

Arnold Clark, Sr. was born in Sandwich. He lost a camp on Monomoy when the feds took it for the wildlife refuge. Befor they could burn it, he moved it by water to the Orleans end of Nauset and hunted and fished from it till he died in 2001. The feds sued him for moving "their" camp but the judge in Chatham threw the case out of court. Father and son both sold their fish right up till about 1999. His son, Arnold Jr. and I often stayed and fished from that camp that Jr. sold in 2006.

I met others who fished Nauset in the day, but can't remember all their names. They were not all bad guys either. There was even one guy who wrote seveal books about surfcasting and trolling for stripers, clamming and berry picking. One of his books even told how to make a living doing those things.

Having lived and worked on the cape for four years, I'd have to say that most of the old guard there fought the National Seashore. Unfortunaely, there were some like the Nickerson's and Thayers and the Bakers who lobbied for it ;but it was the Kennedy's, JFK, Bobby, Teddy and their friends like John Kerry Frank Sargent along with the senators, Leverett and Bill Saltonstall who had the wherewithall and connections to see it a reality. They and the wealthy who began to build their castles in places like Chatham, Barnstable, Brewster etc. and wanted to keep the "lower classes" away.
Most Cape folks have never forgiven them that. I still think of Frank Sargent as the best Fish & Game director Mass ever had but I despised him for backing the seashore.

Now, I haven't even mentioned my friend Tony Stetzko's father Anton who also sold fish from Nauset for years after moving to Orleans from NJ in 1953.

The picture is Tony's 70 pounder from Nauset in 1880.

BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 AM
SS/Veteran

BILL-----Other than being an excellent fisherman and a state of the art artist, you have the most amazing memory for things that I have ever seen, and, for any subject-----I agree with FRANK-----you ought'a write a book. Period.

MULE.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 AM

An amazing memory and a treasure trove of vintage surfcasting photos. Thank you for sharing them.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
BILL-----Other than being an excellent fisherman and a state of the art artist, you have the most amazing memory for things that I have ever seen, and, for any subject-----I agree with FRANK-----you ought'a write a book. Period. MULE.
Thanks but, not quite so, Mule. My memory is getting pretty bad but, I've got a bunch of journals that go back to the mid-1950s
BillH
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Bill, if you misunderstood the fault is mine. I'm not saying that everybody on the Cape opposed sport fishing on the beaches. Certainly, examples are available which dispute my claim. Not everyone called us "beach gypsies." Not everyone offered their hands then broke your nose. Only some. I'm only trying to set straight your polianic view of Cape Codders. Many things could have changed since my experiences there. I have been gone a long time. Still,having raised four children there and lived on the beach for 20 years, I am proud to say I was never a Cape Codder.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 AM

Thanks for taking me there with you. What a great read. Whenever I had to put it down I felt I needed to wash my hands to get off the fish smell. You were able to convey everything so eloquently I felt almost like I got a taste of it myself. I would say I'm jealous of your time
there but jealously is such a sinister emotion and I don't feel that way , I envy you. Too have been as poor as you were then but so so rich like you said towards the end of the book. I know it wasn't to of been a how to book but there is so much information ingrained in your words that I see I know nothing of the beach in that way. If I were able to spend a week straight on the beach I would probably learn more than I have the last 2 seasons only getting out a few days a week. To think what it must of been like.... Thanks for a great read. I need to read it again.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Bill, if you misunderstood the fault is mine. I'm not saying that everybody on the Cape opposed sport fishing on the beaches. Certainly, examples are available which dispute my claim. Not everyone called us "beach gypsies." Not everyone offered their hands then broke your nose. Only some. I'm only trying to set straight your polianic view of Cape Codders. Many things could have changed since my experiences there. I have been gone a long time. Still,having raised four children there and lived on the beach for 20 years, I am proud to say I was never a Cape Codder.

Hey, Frank. I guess I reacted too strongly to your bias against cape codders and statements like, "Positively no townies fished Nauset other than Reed". You were there for 20 years and I for only a little over 4 but, I certainly do not have a polianic view of Cape Codders.

My point, probably expressed a little too strongly. was that there are plenty of locals who love/loved the area as much as you did and who opposed the Nat'l. Seashore as strongly as you did both then and today.

As for the Seashore, time has shown that the locals were sold a bill of goods by the Kennedys and wealthy newcomers. Most of the 49 miles of Nauset is now off limits to offroad vehicles. Many areas might just as well be private because access (to federally owned/controlled property ) is so poor. Even areas where access is available to walk on are severaly restricted during night time hours.

As for the locals, it's like just about every place I've ever lived or visited. There are some fine welcoming people. And there are some real bastards who's only aim is to make money from visitors and husstle them off cape as fast as they can. It's the old story of many tourist areas, "Keep Cape Cod green, leave cash".
BillH
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM

I guess a lot of what we write about is based upon our mood at the time of writing, the memories burned into our skulls, even the pain of what othrs did out of some need to take control. I am deeply imbittered by what has happened there. I blame the U.S. Government and I rail at the pattern government is setting in taking over everything from licensing and permits, over-regulation, stupid regulations -- all things that are redefining the things we love. People are fleeing from hunting and fishing in scary numbers. The things ruining our life style just keep getting worse. Then we wonder why our children are obese. They are afraid to go outside and prefer to play computer games than walk a stream. Today Joyce and I drove past a trout pond at daybreak while hunting. This prestine pond in a state forest stocked with trout was devoid of all activity, nobody was there on a Sunday morning! Nobody had their fishing license, trout stamp, HIP permit or tape to measure their scup. Then a nice new DEM Gestapo truck drove past with a guy wearing a gun at the wheel. Sieg Heil, Seig Heil!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 PM

I brought this book to work with me today to start my reread. My coworker who always tells me about her fisherman cousin who passed away 2001 starts to tell me again of him when she saw your book. I give her the book to check out and she opens the page and I hear "there he is!" Excitement through a mist of tears, Paulie Hoercher. She told me the other day her cousin Barbara has a place in cape cod open the same week I'm off. I'm not sure yet if I'm getting it yet but I find it very strange I might be staying in the home of someone I just read about in your book. I just wanted to let you know how much that meant to her and if I do wind up going let me know if I can bring you anything from NY.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Yes, Dennis, small world. Barbara must still own the condo in P-town.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM

My friend has a nice picture of him with stripers lined up on the porch rail. The week is during August, I have to choose now between P-town and Montauk. Decisions decisions. It could be worse, I could be deciding between a root canal or an implant.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Dennis, this is not your father's Cape Cod. Every time I meet somebody who used to be there with us they lament that it has all changed. Gestapo rangers, seals, off Cape people with an attitude. I could never write that book today with what I have seen come about. Things change. Look at Bill Hubbard, and he can respond to this, he must have wanted to go to the Cape for some years before he moved to there, but he didn't stay long. (Its okay to listen to what people say but also watch what they do.)
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Thank you Frank. I was looking at the coincidence as an omen that I should maybe head up there. Truro sounds good but i was lamenting giving up my Montauk trip. My friend told me she went last year and did a "dune tour". A dune tour? Then they did a whalewatch trip which sounds nice but I won't board a ship that doesn't let me bring a pole. I appreciate the dose of reality to shake off my nostalgia. I will get up there someday though, and I will think of you and your family when I do. Thanks again Frank, soon ill feel comfortable enough to start asking some fishing questions 8). 20 years is in my car and ill be at it again ay dinner time.