Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Twenty years from now?

My brother Norman used to sing: "Oh, I wish I was in the land of traitors -- rattle snakes and alligators -- look away .... look away, Dixieland."
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Steve, I already knew most of them. Deb told me down there, if someone is making a turn, the person behind them also puts on their turn signal...
And Al, I know about Myrtle Beach, we are looking a little south of there...
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Question Re: Twenty years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
... we are looking a little south of there...
Georgetown, ya traitor?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
My brother Norman used to sing: "Oh, I wish I was in the land of traitors -- rattle snakes and alligators -- look away .... look away, Dixieland."
Now FRANK, that's damn good. I really like it. I may have to add a few verses to it .

MULE.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior Fellow

Quote:
Steve, I already knew most of them. Deb told me down there, if someone is making a turn, the person behind them also puts on their turn signal...
And Al, I know about Myrtle Beach, we are looking a little south of there...
Bob,

Between Garden City and Savannah is some of the prettiest coast in the world. I will need a place to stop for a layover in that area --- but I think I had best not be waiting 20 years. Can't you retire early?

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Al, no 20 years for me, already put my 29 in and just waiting for my next birthday...March cant come quick enough for me...
Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM

The sea level will have greatly risen due to the fact that the polar ice caps and the Greenland glaciers have melted. My property inland will now be beach front property.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my front yard as the piping plovers are nesting there.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Well, I haven't been posting much lately, so here goes...
I never thought I would leave Jersey, but plan on heading to SC (coastal area) when I retire in March. I will probably make some trips back up here after that and do some fishing. I will be 75 then, and surely not as agile as I once was, or am today. If I come back in 20 years, I would hope that Island Beach is still here, and not sold off by the state to generate money to pay for my "Golden Parachute Pension" as the current Govenor likes to portray it. If it hasn't, I would expect that things will be about the same. There will be buggys on the beach, people either fishing bait or plugging. Guys going crazy over blitzes when they occur, those that know what they are doing, still fishing the same way as those that did it before them did, much as I do today. I would expect that there will be changes in tackle and such, stronger lines, more realistic looking plugs and such. However, I believe that the basic premise that we use today, find the fish, learn structure, check the tides, etc, will never change.
The people change, the fish and the ocean dont...
RAG I should have added this bit of information to your Southern survival list. If you plan to Drum fish the NC Buxton Point, the Cape Hatteras National Park Service has recommended this method for surf fishing so that you won?t disturb and be arrested for disturbing the two pairs of Piping Plovers that have taken over the Point. That?s me on the left and BIG AL on the right.
MULE.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2017, 12:14 PM
SS/Veteran

By then people will not have any interest in fishing. Regulations, access, fear of skin cancer. Townies only fishing will have ruined all interest in fishing.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:47 PM
SS/Veteran

20 years from now .... Frank Who ?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
20 years from now .... Frank Who ?
Thanks Hook, you did not have to remind me that age 100 I would be dead. I allredy knew it.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM

20 years from now, People will be calling for this to be a "gamefish", catch and release

HOW TO: SIMPLE SEA ROBIN FILLET

With its mild taste, abundance in local waters and eager willingness to take a baited hook, the sea robin could be the perfect inshore target species. Here is a simple way to prepare them for the table!
By Toby Lapinski

Old 07-24-2017, 04:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Expect a minimum size regulation, a season, daily bag limit. Enforcement will be even busier so that requires a new enforcement office, a janitor for that office, an accountant for the payroll.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:59 PM

It just shows you how bad the activity has gone, that publications have to devote pages to the pursuit of "junkfish".

I mean, at the dawn of the internet, someone came up with a web site, but now magazine's covering this?

As I used to say as a kid: "Awww, come ONNNNN" (with whiny 10 year old's voice)

I once ran into a blitz of spawners at Sandy Hook and got'em on the fly using poppers.

So, twenty years from now, there'll be a guide service advertising "flats fishing for birds"
Old 07-25-2017, 11:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Well, I haven't been posting much lately, so here goes...
I never thought I would leave Jersey, but plan on heading to SC (coastal area) when I retire in March. I will probably make some trips back up here after that and do some fishing. I will be 75 then, and surely not as agile as I once was, or am today. If I come back in 20 years, I would hope that Island Beach is still here, and not sold off by the state to generate money to pay for my "Golden Parachute Pension" as the current Govenor likes to portray it. If it hasn't, I would expect that things will be about the same. There will be buggys on the beach, people either fishing bait or plugging. Guys going crazy over blitzes when they occur, those that know what they are doing, still fishing the same way as those that did it before them did, much as I do today. I would expect that there will be changes in tackle and such, stronger lines, more realistic looking plugs and such. However, I believe that the basic premise that we use today, find the fish, learn structure, check the tides, etc, will never change.
The people change, the fish and the ocean dont...
I hope there are fish... sometimes I'm not too optimistic.