Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

How a deer dies is irrelevent eatingwise. What you have to assess is the age and condition of the corpse. Well traveled roads in my area and no roadkill is going to lay there. If the weather is cool, no worry. If the roadkill is warm bodywise, then it is fresh and a keeper -- hit in the last hour. During the cold season, say December, it could be 10 hours old and be fine. If it stinks, leave it; and of course if it is all googats from a ten-wheeler, give it to Bob D'Amico.

Thing about this subject is that it is becoming a lost art because nobody is starving any more and those finding one no longer know what to do with one. Sadly, we are all losing our connection to the sod. Sad. Next time aroudn I plan to marry a redneck girl who can gut her own deer. It is not enough to have a woman who can shoot the nuts off a field mouse at 100 yards on horseback while rolling a cigareete.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM

I haven't hunted for years, but when I did I was taught that a deer that had been chased or run a lot - such as one shot on a drive - didn't taste right because the meat would be infused with adrenaline. Ya think???

CL
Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM

No, you got that from your uncle. Deer hunting has as many old wives tales as does fishing. The level of knowledge in today's hunting world is way more sophisticated than it was back when both of us were young. I laugh at the Frank of 30 years ago deer hunting. We had many more stupid sayings than true ones. Today there is scent blocker, UV contamination and suitable tests for what a deer sees. Hunters understand much more about scent. hunter orange has saved thousands of lives making hunting safer than most activities thought to be so harmless. The risk is in driving to the place, falling from a tree, a heart attack from dragging a brute. Papa used to say that all the hunting accidents were really a guy fooling with another guy's wife and then having an accident deer hunting.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Regarding safety: I use to hunt Pa as a nonresident hunter. Now in Pa, 1 million hunters or hunter likes take to the woods, doctor's offices close and supermarkets, etc., for this annual event. Pa looses two or three hunters a year do to accidents. Considering there are many yahoos there, no teeth, family tree does not have branches, that is a pretty safe sport. I think the deaths were caused by carelessness or a neighbor just getting even. Deer run back and forth like a pro football team running down field on a kickoff as I am rubber necking in my tree looking for the racker.
From my experiences the most dangerous thing in hunting is the first day when city slickers are putting on a drive. I spent some time behind a stone wall on that event. Those are the risks.
Needless to say I hunt alone--and like it that way!
Cap---you are right a stressed deer will not be a tasty venison.
Regarding this new high tech gadgets out there I have no ideas. The simple rules prevail: Go where the deer are, hunt the longest and make the first shot count.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 PM

I'm not certain about the taste of an adrenaline pumped deer, but I do know that the corn fed deer of western NY taste much different than the mountain deer of VT.

Of course venison of any kind is hard to beat.

Did you ever shoot a deer and have someone cut in on the blood trail and steal you deer?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM

This is my 60th year hunting and I have heard all the stories about how awful it is -- people shooting at each other and all the accidental shootings. I don't know whre this stuff comes from but I have a nagging suspition that it is perpetuated by non-hunters and anti-hunters and people in general who have no interest, no appreciation and who can only say something good about the things they do. Sure, in a lifetime a person might cut your blood trail and try to steal your deer. But you are screwed more often by enforcement than by the public at large. It is not anything like what I read above. but I do agree that if hunting is that in your mind, then don't hunt.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Hunting goes along quite nicely with fishing. Both result in the possibilities of fine eating fare. I fish, therefore I hunt. YMMV.

Was on a traditional-only bow hunt in South Georgia a few weeks back, one of our crew scored a nice buck ...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Cool Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
Hunting goes along quite nicely with fishing. Both result in the possibilities of fine eating fare. I fish, therefore I hunt. YMMV.

Was on a traditional-only bow hunt in South Georgia a few weeks back, one of our crew scored a nice buck ...

How long did it take General Grant to make it back to Appamatox Court House?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
How long did it take General Grant to make it back to Appamatox Court House?
Duh .... gee sparky, couldn't think of anything better to type?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM

You guys are too much. I love red necks and what they stand for. We are kind of redneck starved in Massachusetts. They say on the Michigan Peninsula that they close the schools on opening of hunting season .
Old 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
...They say on the Michigan Peninsula that they close the schools on opening of hunting season .
As should be done in most places. For the most part we're a soft, happy-dumb society that depends others for food - and getting softer and more overpopulated by the minute. How many Americans know how to do simple things like gut and fillet fish, let alone gut and butcher a deer? We fishermen and hunters are a dying breed ....
Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Talk to a check station and they have guys show up with deer that are ungutted and others looking to hire a turkey plucker.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
They say on the Michigan Peninsula that they close the schools on opening of hunting season .
My wife is from Western PA (Cambria County), and the schools are closed there for the first day of firearm deer season.

And I'm just joshing with you, RFD. Don't take it personally. Even though I'm a city guy, and a non-hunter, I'm on your side when it comes to this stuff. Maybe I'll post my picture, and you can throw balls at me. It's all in fun...
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
... And I'm just joshing with you, RFD. Don't take it personally. Even though I'm a city guy, and a non-hunter, I'm on your side when it comes to this stuff. Maybe I'll post my picture, and you can throw balls at me. It's all in fun...
No offense taken. Yer reply just hit a nerve - I expected appreciation for the skill it takes to take down a fine buck with a stickbow. Then again, most super market hunters haven't a clue about harvesting their own meat, let alone what it takes to be a successful traditional bowhunter.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM

I hunted when things were tough and I needed it for food. Mostly rabbits, ducks and upland birds. Something happened to me one day and I could no longer pull the trigger. Happened to some other guys I know, too.

I respect the hunters here and their love of the sport, and it seems like most make good use of the meat, for the table which is as it should be.

I wonder how most of you feel about those who hunt only for trophies, and fill up a room at home with all kinds of stuffed animals. I knew a guy who went on a safari and shot an elephant.....and bragged about it. I'm licensed to carry large capacity for all lawful purposes, and my weapon of choice is a .45 cal. Sig with a mag full of hollow points. If I was strapped that day, that elephant hunter would have been a temptation.

CL