Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

I've shot several deer at the end of shooting light and have done the blood trailing after dark. For me it has been almost impossible alone, but with a good friend (you know the one's you can call late at night for this sort of thing) working by my side I've had much better luck. Only once have I had to wait until the next morning to tag my deer.

I've always been afraid that the coyotes would get to my deer before I did if I waited until morning.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The coyotes getting there first are always a fear with all of us. But darkness really quells the effort to track a blood trial. Do I hate them buggahs. I fantasize over cutting their nuts off. Everybody I know shoots them when they can.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 AM

Yesterday, while turkey hunting with my wife, she put a deer out that almost ran me down.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Yesterday, while turkey hunting with my wife, she put a deer out that almost ran me down.
Imagine worrying about jealous husbands all these years, and almost being taken down by a deer your wife spooked....
Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Yes, Bob, kind of reminds you of the scene in Patton where he survives the greatest war and is nearly killed by a flippin runaway oxcart. The local kids (40 to 50 years of age) are all horsed with bow hunting as one of the gang took a button buck this AM. Not being a bow hunter, I kind of envy them. It is such a privilage to be in the woods and be a part of the life. One gets a deer and it is like a flippin universal success. Ah, alas, how much can you do?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

OK, as someone who is totally ignorant about deer hunting... Why does archery season start so early, and close later than shotgun? I would imagine it has something to do with the more challenging aspects of archery vs gun. Am I on the right track, or is there something else?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes I think you are on the right track. The something else might be there are a lot of leaf peepers walking in the woods with their dogs and the last thing they want to hear is gun fire.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Archery season is first and early because it gives a method which is inherently disadvantagous a first crack at what is there. Also, archery is popular in our culture because it is safer, has a much smaller accident rate, and has no BOOM. We never got involved with it because the early deer seasons would have interferred with migration fishing. The big thing in deer hunting is to be out there when the rut kicks in. Bucks travel 20 times as much when horsed as they do normally and they lose 25% of their body weight from say, Nov 1 to Dec 10. So when a deer is shot is a big determinent of what it will weigh. You skin out a doe and it has a layer of white fat, but no fat on the bucks.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Never thought about the weight loss in bucks during the rut, but it makes sense. Guess they are a lot like humans, run all over and strut your stuff just to get a piece of, ahem, doe...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Never thought about the weight loss in bucks during the rut, but it makes sense. Guess they are a lot like humans, run all over and strut your stuff just to get a piece of, ahem, doe...

Like humans??? I never lost any weight by being horny, if I did there would be nothing left of me.

CL
Old 10-29-2007, 06:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Well male deer only do the boom boom, nasty thing once a year for a couple of weeks/month, you know when the overload of testosterone makes the brain stay in neutral, your head itches and you have to find a good tree to scratch it on. After boom boom season you go back to the herd and let the lead Mama tell you what to do and what to say, when to eat and when to sleep and when to shut up.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 AM

Were it not for the rut, you could never shoot a buck. They have to be distracted because I have had eight-pointers walk right into me. One time I shot a buck that had been bedded five yards away. I was sitting on a blow down log eating a cold Bambi-burger and this buggah stands up 15 feet from me with a dream rack -- badaboom!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
We never got involved with it because the early deer seasons would have interferred with migration fishing.
Frank,

I expected you to reply that you hunted all day and fished all night during the overlap of archery season and the fall migration.

If I lived near the coast I'm affraid that I'd fall into that schedule and when they skinned me out they wouldn't find any fat on me either.

Rut = Stupid bucks
Stupid bucks = Smiles and tenderloin dinners
Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 PM

As everyone here knows, a big part of fishing and hunting is the table celebration. If I were a multi-millionaire, I would still relish the idea of sitting down with something I took from the field. Take eating away and I would be done hunting. (Though I do remember, back before my wife hunted, and when hunting was slower, being thrilled to pick up a nice warm roadkill.)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Roadkill I am told is good. Years ago they use to take them off to the local jail for inmates to feast on. That was ended when someone complained the meat was not inspected by the Federal government inspector who gets a $250 fee for inspecting and exotic animal (deer and others). Now farmers are getting the same fee for Emu, Beefalow etc. thus we have the backyard butcher. Bear on the other hand will be missing from time of kill-their claws (used for jewelry), gall bladders (used for Asian medicine) before the green cops can pick up.

Sorry about the rant but I think we love our country more then it loves us.