Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Angry Bloodthirsty Cooler Fillin Poachers!

Officials Seize 1,100 Lbs.
Of Fish Caught Illegally
By MARK A. BROWN

Hundreds of pounds of illegally caught striped bass were unload-ed at Falmouth Inner Harbor Wednesday afternoon, after the boarding of five fishing boats in federal waters off Chatham.
The bust netted about 1.100 pounds of fish, most of which was brought to Falmouth by federal officers and agents returning in their vessels.
At about 4 PM, the men turned about 800 pounds of the catch over to R. Charles Martinsen III, assis-tant director of the Falmouth De-partment of Natural Resources. Assisted by DNR Officer Sarah M. Brooks, Officer Martinsen loaded the fish into a pickup truck and donated it to the nonprofit Fal-mouth Rod & Gun Club.
"It's what we usually do with illegal catches," said Massachu-setts Environmental Police Offi-cer Matthew Bass. "We try to find a charity that can use them so they don't go to waste."
The remaining 300 pounds of fish were taken by other officers to Nantucket to give to a charity, Mr. Bass said.
Officer Martinsen said Rod & Gun Club members filleted the fish and froze it. The fish will be served at a future Game Feed Dinner fundraiser, he said.

With the state's commercial fishing season for striped bass drawing to a close yesterday, Of-ficer Bass, along with a counter-part from Nantucket and federal officers and agents from the US Coast Guard and the US Depart-ment of Commerce National Di-vision of Marine Fisheries, pa-trolled the waters off Nantucket and Chatham Wednesday looking for poachers.
Officer Bass said some fisher-men decide to take their chances in federal waters, outside the three-mile limit from Massachu-setts' shorelines. The taking of striped bass in federal waters is prohibited, he said, but the mar-ket provides an incentive for ille-gal fishing.
"They can get $3 to $3.50 a pound for it, which can add up to several thousand dollars a day," he said.
The officers and agents stopped four boats in federal waters and seized all the fish on board, Of-ficer Bass said. One of the boats, he said, had 30 stripers, which is the state's daily limit. "They claimed they'd caught the fish within state waters and were on their way back to Chatham, but they were four to five miles out of their way," Officer Bass said.
A fifth boat fled from the en-forcement vessels as crew mem-bers frantically threw their catch of striped bass overboard, he said. The men aboard that vessel later admitted to taking the fish illegally, he said.
The captains and some crew members from the five fishing ves-sels will face federal charges, Mr. Bass said. The case is being inves-tigated by Special Agents Todd Nickerson and Louis Jachimczyk of the Department of Commerce in New Bedford, who both partici-pated in Wednesday's patrols.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Bloodthirsty Cooler Fillin Poachers!

Where's all the witty banter?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:56 PM

I'm curious how the Falmouth Rod&Gun club is a non-profit charity that would have a way to distribute thousands of pounds of fish(to thier members?) I guess at least it gets used...

NJ guys (chater boats and professionals)do the same thing and sell it to restuarants(or so I heard from a reliable source). The restaurants can't put it on the menu as stripers so they call it Grouper!

Last edited by shresearchguy : 09-09-2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwoodwork
Where's all the witty banter?
Umm, maybe most people think it's a baiting thread, like RR likes to post here....
Old 09-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman
Umm, maybe most people think it's a baiting thread, like RR likes to post here....
Just the FACTS CHEESE
Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

The facts were stated in that release. Poachers are scum, no matter what sector. But, how come you, and others also, never post anything about recs being caught violating the regulations? Only comms do bad things?

CHEESE...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Dont discriminate Raggy.. all poachers are breaking the law!!

CHUMPZILLA!!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The facts were stated in that release. Poachers are scum, no matter what sector. But, how come you, and others also, never post anything about recs being caught violating the regulations? Only comms do bad things?

CHEESE...
Breaking the law is breaking the law and I'll be fast to call operation game theif when I see someone not in compliance. But I think people get pissed when Comms break the law because they make the money for it. A rec only gets to bring home fish for dinner, no money involved (in most cases). It's like comparing a 16 year old with a nickle bag of weed and a guy trafficing pounds. Personal use vs. making lots of money and causing more damage. Don't get me wrong, none of it is right and thats probably a bad comparison. But the regulations on the comms are strict, and they are watched very closely for a good reason. Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about it either if I lived off commercial fishing and was always hassled, but it only takes a few bad seeds to ruin it for others. It's part of the profession they chose. The world has gotten ugly and laws will always be broken by someone.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat
Dont discriminate Raggy.. all poachers are breaking the law!!

CHUMPZILLA!!
If you read my post, I didn't discriminate. I said all poachers are scum, no matter what sector. You just choose to highlight comms.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5
Breaking the law is breaking the law and I'll be fast to call operation game theif when I see someone not in compliance. But I think people get pissed when Comms break the law because they make the money for it. A rec only gets to bring home fish for dinner, no money involved (in most cases). It's like comparing a 16 year old with a nickle bag of weed and a guy trafficing pounds. Personal use vs. making lots of money and causing more damage. Don't get me wrong, none of it is right and thats probably a bad comparison. But the regulations on the comms are strict, and they are watched very closely for a good reason. Yeah, I wouldn't be happy about it either if I lived off commercial fishing and was always hassled, but it only takes a few bad seeds to ruin it for others. It's part of the profession they chose. The world has gotten ugly and laws will always be broken by someone.
You made a good point about comms breaking the law. People get pissed and raise holy hell when they are caught, and rightfully so. But where is the outrage over a rec catching tuna and selling it without the legal ability to do so? Anyone see the Operation Gamethief operation done a few weeks ago that targeted recs? How many illegal fluke were confiscated, from the holier than thou rec fishermen? Why didnt RiverRat post something about that? Thats the thing that gets me. Us recs are so rightous, we follow the regs to the letter . Aw, it's only a couple fluke at 15 inches, so what, the striper was almost 28 inches, and I hadn't kept any in awhile, so I kept 4 instead of 2. We have to report to NOBODY, unless someone wants to drop a dime. Think hard about this. A comm makes money from fishing. Do you really think a RESPONSIBLE comm wants to overfish whats available? Drag the ocean clean? What happens next year, when there is nothing to catch? You got it Bubba, they starve. They are strictly regulated for a reason.To maintain the stocks. Hell they even have to report sea robins they catch. How many recs have to report the ones they toss on the beach, and leave to die, as discard?
I'm not a commercial fisherman, and wouldn't want to be one either. However, before people start blaming all the problems with fish stocks on what the comms are doing, they should look at themselves(collectively,not as an individual), and think about who is the real problem.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Anyone see the Operation Gamethief operation done a few weeks ago that targeted recs? How many illegal fluke were confiscated, from the holier than thou rec fishermen? Why didnt RiverRat post something about that? Thats the thing that gets me. Us recs are so rightous, we follow the regs to the letter

I did post on that thread:

"For the record I wish F&G would police the rec's a lot more often! ~River Rat"

You even replied to my post!!!

Next time get your facts straight Pea Brain!

And one more thing: If you think poaching a fish or 2 is OK when ya cant scratch out a keeper then I feel sorry for you. Next time go to Mickey D's and buy a fish sammich instead.

Yo Bent, better get Rag Fly 2 Bags of Scallops this time... he is working overtime for you boys!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
SS/Veteran

I let this go for a few day's hoping that somebody from Mass would chime in. With that said I'm gonna let her go a few more days before I serve Rat and the rest of the Haters club some crow.

Gentlemen please research just who and what the " COMMS " were that got stealing.

Rag I agree Poachers are scum !!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Picker
I

Gentlemen please research just who and what the " COMMS " were that got stealing.
Picker Ole Buddie,

I'll bet at least some of them were rec's up there in Good Ole Mass.

Yes Rag Fly I said REC's are the Poachers!! And whats worse is their probably all Red Sox fans to boot!

carry on....
Old 09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
SS/Veteran

NOT some !!!! Try again ole Ratster !
Old 09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

They were all pinhookers from what I understand.