Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Book Issues and Book News

Let's use this space to discuss anything regarding the six titles I wrote that are offered here. We can address your questions about something in a particular book; talk about shipping and ordering options; plan for the holiday gifts; and, otherwise promote the buggars. It is what I do.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Issues and Book News

I have read all 6 books and have learn alot
the books about your life in the striper surf
brought a tear to my eyes and a smile on
my face. you have taken a hard start and
made the best of it and all grew up together,

Keeper of the light
Old 10-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Frank,
Reading Striper Surf for about the third time... After reading Eastern Tides(for the second time ),seems like you were a little more comfortable writing 20 Years,than you were writing SS.Is that because of your experience in writing,or just the fact that they are different type books?As always,all 6 of your books are both informative,and entertaning.Anyone who hasnt read them are missing something...
Old 10-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Learned about how close a family can be when an interest is shared.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:40 PM
SS/Veteran

I just finished skimming through Trophy Striper yet again, getting psyched-up for a trip to NJ in a couple of weeks. I've been meaning to change the quote at the bottom of my posts to:
Quote:
Much of what makes a great fisherman is how he comes to grips with recreation.
It sums up in a such a concise way what I think it should all be about, enjoying! Far and away the most informative and enjoyable "how-to" book I've read.

I also own Striper Surf and Striper Hot Spots, but Eastern Tides is my favorite off-season read; it's full of so many great stories, both hilarious and incredibly touching - frequently at the same time! Haven't read 20 Years yet, but it's on the Xmas wish list from the wifey.

Fly Fishing just doesn't apply to me, one who doesn't practice that fine art. But who knows, maybe Santa will go the extra mile and bring me some novel new gear with a new book...

Old 10-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Chuckles,
I'm not a fly fisherman either,but did buy it for my son, for his birthday.He dabbles in it.Of course,I had to read it,and did learn something from it.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 AM

Not sure, Ragman, why the books project a different level of comfort or author stiffness. I think that if a few years go by, the author is a different person. but yes, the results are influenced by the subject. Twenty Years, like Eastern Tides, is autobiographical where Striper Surf is a how-to book. SS is the lead seller and definately more popular than any on the list. It leads in sales, in royalty, in sales here. There is a little read paragraph in my book contract that says my royalty rate goes to 12 percent when sales reach a certain level and it did that a long time ago. Joyce calls Striper Surf my signature book. But I would still prefer to write ETish or 20 Years-ish stuff. I tested the market before foraging for a contract with Tim Coleman and Mary Motherway, the first publishers.

What I did was prepare a five part series for the Fisherman which they ran and then I waited to see if it was popular. Then I proposed the book to Tim and he took my first book. Coleman is a little like Woolner in that he got me going, helped me get started. We all made out okay in the venture but Twenty Years was victim of the moratorium where striper fishing was dead, banned, and out of favor with the public in the early 90s. He was the best publisher I ever had but nothing stays the same and he got out of the book business and Tweny Years went the way of striper fishing -- down. But they had paid me for all copies in my advance so I was well treated inspite of the eventual death of the book. Later, when bass came back, people began looking for it and my high school sweetheart told me to invest in myself instead of all these mutual funds. Coleman gave us the go-ahead, which was no surprise. So many publishers told me that they did not do "old books". Their big mistake. We self-published it and it has been wildly successful. Amazon says it is out-of-print but I think that helped us to sell it. Strong surf markets like Surfcaster and Red Top have carried it for years and always reorder.

I want to say this about doing business: There will always be some people who require and live by the wording in the contract. But others like Coleman and Motherway and the manager of Dome Publishing in RI, who just go with their gut caring more about the right thing and doing good. They don't help you to get rich; rather they just believe in what you are trying to do and are willing to help. Never forget that those guys are out there.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:43 PM

I was reading your fly book and wondered why you used white flies for night fishing and teasers when you started out. I figured you would use black.

Also Re: the 2.5 inch fin-s-fish. I have seen 2.7" red gills around here that look perfect for the fly rod.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:07 PM

Good point, Walter. At the time, and when something is decided is important, we believed that because sandeels had white bellies that the most immatative color was white. We had done quite well with them because the saddle hackle had a better length to width ratio than bucktail. Bucktail had been in common use in the mid to late 60s with what was then called "darter and droppah". Anyway, we built up a lot of confidence in the eel flies and just stayed with white. It was not until many years later, say 6/8 years ago, that I really developed such a high regard for black. Because our white saddle hackle Sandeel pattern had been so good as a teaser, it followed that it would be a corker fly fished; it was.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 AM

Lets get started with Christmas shopping early. If you are going to buy friends books, allow yourself enough time to read them yourself first. Most orders are filled the day they come in, and only take a few days to be delivered. But now and then, the PO takes up 20sumpin days. Also, it is protein time at Mister Smarty's I hate shipping with all that blood on my hands.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Here are sales order of popularity for this year:
Striper Surf
Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
Eastern Tides
Striper Hot Spots
Twenty Years on the Cape
The Trophy Striper

Reflecting on these, the fly book is newer and is still garnering sales for that reason. Eastern Tides is selling well because it is nice read for experienced surfcasters. I think the others are kind of getting old and everybody has them. Remember the locations book, Hot Spots, has been printed nine times, like Striper Surf.

We still have a half case of Eastern Tides in hardcover and of course all you want in paperback.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Sales for the year, all titles, amount to 147 copies. Last year, when Fly Fishing the Striper Surf came out new, we sold 170 of that one title alone. This is not to complain. I can see sales down because the regulars here have all bought the books. I know, I know, yuz want me to write a new one. How about Sex in the Sand ?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Add fileting shorts in the dunes,I might buy it...
Old 11-15-2005, 11:13 AM

sex in the sand? LOL
Old 11-15-2005, 04:28 PM

Great idea, Rag. Think I'll put that one up.