Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Surf fishing? best multi-purpose rod and reel??

oh boy, I can see it now, paired with one of those 15' Sports Authority sticks:

Reel weights start at 13.4 ounces while the largest Spinfisher SSV weighs 39.8 ounces. Gear ratios range from 6.2:1 on the smallest models, 5.6:1 on the mid-sized models, 4.7:1 on the larger models and 4.2:1 on the largest. Maximum drag capabilities vary from 20 pounds to 40.
The Spinfisher SSV family also introduces the largest of any PENN spinning reel, Model 1050. Built to hold 415 yards of 30-pound monofilament or 750 yards of 50 -pound braid, this reel allows the angler to survive those long line-stripping runs huge fish dish out.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator

I have never fished with a rod over 10' 6" and that was a bait lobber. My main Plugging rod is 9'. I guess thats just me. I am sure folks have a reason to use rods 12, 13' or longer but, I haven't hit on one yet, for me. I do have a 10' plugging rod but, on the beaches of NJ don't believe I need it. I actually had 2, sold one the Frank...
Like you mention Rob I could see it now, a rod so long, a reel so big, its almost unmanageable..

PS, Disclaimer... If you enjoy using a rod 13' or a rod 3', more power to you,,, I have ALWAYS STATED use what gives you joy in your sport and may no man take that away.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

The Longest rod I have is an 11' Tica, paired with an abu 6500 with braid... all I could ever want for bait.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Don't know if there is one Need the right rod for the right job, 7' , 8', 9'6" , 11' all arties thrown , can throw from 1/8 oz - 6oz and have it covered ....not the top of the line rods but it works. Spheros FA 3000, 4000, 6000, 12000 work horse reels for sure
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Most of the rods built these days are pretty lightweight even for the bigger sticks - I fish 11' rods with my convench reels since a smaller rod just doesn't feel right. I posted in the other thread that I just bought a 12' OM casting rod rated up to 16oz I believe, I needed a big stick because there were times last fall when my 10' rod was being blown in the wind(spiked in a rod holder) like it was a toothpick, the guys with the 12' ers had no problem keeping their lines above the surf/seaweed.