Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 PM

Default Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Merry Christmas

Ditto

CU
Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

What were your Christmas Eve and Day meals?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Hope you all had as great a Christmas as I did, but between the Giants and snow, boxing day not so good here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
What were your Christmas Eve and Day meals?
since you asked:

My roots in Christmas Eve Dinner, Italian (baked ziti) Scotish (steak pie) & Kearny (Clinton's)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Your Italian 'roots' need some work. The noodles in your baked ziti are "rigatoni." Ziti noodles are smaller and retain their "roundness"

I don't care for Baked Ziti but to each his own. Real Scots don't use real beef in their "steak" pie and Italians don't use beef in traditional Braciole.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Our Christmas Eve meal was the traditional Italian, "Feast of the Seven Fishes."

Christmas Day, Carole and I had real ravioli, imported from Brooklyn!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM

cool.

our Christmas eve is Slovak

our Christmas day meal is Italian.

I prepared 15 lbs of squid (thankfully it was cleaned, unlike last year) and my wife did 50 hand made meat balls. All prepared Christmas eve eve (Thursday), slow cooked then chilled until Christmas day. Served with Linguini (al dente of course).

AWESOME!

I'll post the slovak meal later, but I will add that my sister (who is a gourmet baker by hobby, but can't prepare a regular meal for squat) makes a "baked ziti" that isn't fit to serve Al Qaida prisoners. It did look a little better than previous years, though the noodles (not ziti either... some kind of rolotini or some thing) were clearly way way overcooked... and they use one of the ragu sauces... straight. 'nuf said.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Good eye Bob, but at least its home made rigatoni, my Italian Grandparents are turning 90 in 2011 and use to make all their own pasta but are down to just rigatoni and spaghetti. (btw it looks a little like Franco American in that pic, the Scottish side loves that :barf We use to have the feast of the 7 fish's with them, but it just became to much work for them and nobody carried it on

You must be talking to Scots from the highlands, according to my Dad beef stew and boiled links have always been used in Steak Pie here and their, my Grandfather even flew in for the holidays from Auld Glesga, Ill check with him as well
We still have a Scottish butcher in town to get proper links (sausage), stew meat, I can even bring you a haggis or how about some black pudding. Also I think Camerons is still on Brick Blvd.

now I'm hungry, hope you all had a great time and meal whatever it was

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Here's a link to a version of the traditional slovak Christmas Eve dinner.

I'll point out later what we traditionally ate, then and now.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...vakxmaseve.htm

one excerpt:
Even though Byzantine and Orthodox Christians, who follow the Julian calendar, celebrate Christmas Eve on Jan. 6 and Christmas Day on Jan. 7, one thing is universal -- velija (veh-LEE-yah), literally "vigil" and meaning Slovak Christmas Eve Holy Supper or Stedry Vecer.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Christmas eve for me was also Baked Ziti my wife made very well but, A Christmas gift from my Sec. was a bottle of Capt. Morgan 100 proof which lasted me for 4 hrs.I SAY LASTED ME..I think. My Family came over..it was a heck of a night.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM

back until my Grandmother died, we gathered over her place. the oldest man in the family (then my uncle) would gather everyone in the kitchen, while the youngest girl would bring in the oplatki (for you catholics... this is essentially the same stuff as a communion wafer, but in 3x6" wafers) on a tray. the family would gather in the kitchen by candle light, and the elder would recite a prayer welcoming in the Christ child.

there would be a knock on the door, and he'd ask 'who's there', answer 'the Christ child', the prayer would be said and we'd "welcome" Christ that Christmas eve.

then the oplatki would be passed out, we'd all eat it with honey and then dig in to the meal.

first part of the meal would be a sauerkraut soup, which tastes a lot better than it sounds.

then fish, bolbaki and bupki (for which I can't find the recipe, so I'm clearly spelling it incorrectly)

there would always be other food-stuffs served for the heathen among us, including us kids

over the years, the ceremony was dropped and unfortunately my Mom's cooking skills are drastically in decline, now that she's reached 89 y.o.

I believe my brother collected all the recipe's and i'm likely going to raise a revolt and start making the stuff myself next year.

My sister, in place of what became increasingly bad fried flounder, now gets Bobby Chez chunk-crab-cakes, which are good, but I'd like to go back to some good fin-fish in addition. Lord knows I have enough tog/striper and flounder, vacuum packed, in a good fall for everyone (as an aside, I introduced my mom to tog, and she LOVED it... no duh)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Clinton's Ice Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4fun View Post
Hope you all had as great a Christmas as I did, but between the Giants and snow, boxing day not so good here.

since you asked:

My roots in Christmas Eve Dinner, Italian (baked ziti) Scotish (steak pie) & Kearny (Clinton's)
I had to look this up, being where Pat lives and all:

"
A sweet iced tea that is considered the town drink of Kearny, New Jersey. Since it is only sold in this town, many people travel far and wide for this awesome drink. Though most people are very fond of this drink, others disagree and claim it tastes of cardboard and saliva. These people have obviously gone to the wrong place for their Clinton's.
Connor: "Hey John, wanna walk up to G&J's to get a Clinton's Iced Tea?"
John: "Hell no! The ones there taste like cardboard. I get mine at the Midland Dairy""

Old 12-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Re: Clinton's Ice Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I had to look this up, being where Pat lives and all:

"
A sweet iced tea that is considered the town drink of Kearny, New Jersey. Since it is only sold in this town, many people travel far and wide for this awesome drink. Though most people are very fond of this drink, others disagree and claim it tastes of cardboard and saliva. These people have obviously gone to the wrong place for their Clinton's.
Connor: "Hey John, wanna walk up to G&J's to get a Clinton's Iced Tea?"
John: "Hell no! The ones there taste like cardboard. I get mine at the Midland Dairy""

HAHA, thats it, but the cardboard is special, they just don't taste right if you pour them in a glass, a few years ago they started selling it in 16oz and half gallon plastic containers and another problem with them and part of the problem of them not tasting right from certain places they must be kept cold, if they are stored in the back room they go bad. Find me on the beach and I just may have a few, to go with a grilled Taylor Ham & Cheese.

Or maybe for lunch another Kearny staple Doritos on a buttered role with a Clintons, can be found on some deli's menus.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Clinton's Ice Tea

"Doritos on a buttered role"

ROTFLOL!!!!

You guys should serve THAT for Christmas