Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Surf fishing? best multi-purpose rod and reel??

Hi Guys,

I am new to spin fishing.. I have experience with chunk bait and bait fishing.
However, the baitrunners I have are to large to spin with.

I wanted to purchase a rod to fish stripers, blues and porgy.. I presume I could use a all around rod 9 ft tica 2-6 oz aprox $100

What kind of reel do you guys suggest? Does anyone have experience with the new Shimano 4000d? or 6000d.. my guess would be they might be a bit heavy? but would be nice if i can spin and bait with same rod and reel?

I read some post that some surf fisherman favorite is 9ft Team Daiwa spin rod w/ Daiwa Bg-30

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Surf fishing? best multi-purpose rod and reel??

You can't effectively toss bait and lures with the same rod.
For a Tica rod 3/4 to 3oz is ideal for most lures along with a reel under 20oz in weight.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
You can't effectively toss bait and lures with the same rod.
For a Tica rod 3/4 to 3oz is ideal for most lures along with a reel under 20oz in weight.
I'll add this. I have a Shimano Stradic on a 7 foot Lami that I use for throwing lures, I wouldn't trade it for anything. That reel is SWEET!!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Senior Member Team SS

8ft team daiwa with a tierra 4000 and a 10 ft team daiwa with a saragusa 4000 but my old all purpose 9ft ugly stick with a 4500 baitrunner but all purpose means you cant plug all day just too heavy

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
SS/Insider, Team SS

I agree with Jess a little tough to use a plug rod as a bait rod and the other way. Depending on conditions it can be done though. When my grand kids fish withmr I use lighter weight rods for them. Just need to be cautious as to how much weight is getting tossed. They have caught fish so it can be done. The Tica you mention may be okay but the rods that can toss 6 oz in my opinion don't toss the lighter plugs well.

and Family 04,05,06,07,08
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Hey everyone,
Brand new to the forum, but not to fishing. Fished alot with my grandad and after he passed away, kind of lost the "fever" so to speak. Anyway my grandfather was a hardcore surf fishing addict and used Calcutta poles that he made. I still have 2 rods the last ones that he made one was mine one was his, and tommorow I'm going out at Strathmere to spend fathers day with my wife and son, and use the poles he made. Does anyone know how I should refinish them as they have been hanging on my moms porch for probably the past 8 years. And does anyone know if you can still get the bamboo to make them. Thanks
Mark
Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Not sure.. but catch a big one!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM
SS/Veteran

been there ,done that,dont waste your time with old bamboo. it will snap!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 PM

original poster still out there?
Started years ago with a Penn 704z reel and a cheap fiberglass 10' rod. did OK with this for years even if I had to occasionally replace a guide or tip. In my limited experience I'd rather have a good robust reel and spend a bit less on the rod. I just "upgraded" the rod to Tsunami Airwave 10' Very nice for the money. The 704z still going strong. Hard to beat these. I used this for both plugging and bait for years. Have to take it easy when throwing chunk plus a 3 oz sinker! Not ideal for everyday bait fishing. My advice: spend $150 on a decent 10' rod new. Keep an eye on local craigslist and ebay for a 704z used. They're not made anymore but still popular and not too much. Maybe $85? And will last past when you are underground.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
SS/Veteran

There is no perfect multi purpose rod reel combo. I'm getting ready to have my third and forth rainshadows built for very specific reasons. A conventional to fill some gaps in plugging and a 8 or 9' rainshadow to match my stella 5000 for eels and tin for albies, bonita, as well as slender swimming plugs.

Now you may think, great Jon good for you, spend all that money but the same can be done with cheaper rods and reels and its well worth doing if the combo helps offer the presentation better.

I see guys all the time with multiple 10' rods with the same ratings and wonder why?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Like everything else, it's tough to evaluate this stuff when you're starting out, and especially when there are so many options and you might not have a lot of money to spare. I've spent a good amount of money on guitar gear as I got more into it and realized that if I wanted to do get certain sound I was going to have to obtain the proper gear. Obviously some of you guys are very advanced and you're gearing up to meet specific requirements as your skill and knowledge has increased. gotta start somewhere. A 13 year old kid with a paper route is only going to buy one rod and reel.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Totally agree Mr. Dogfish, however it should be comminucated to said 13 year old (and its a good life lesson as well) that you can't always have everything you want in one package. Relating to the rod choice, you can get close, there is some crossover in techniques that work well on one blank, however there is no multipurpose rod for any type of fishing really. In some areas a rod will shine but lack in others

I think my advice would be to pick a rod that's rating covers most of what you'd like to throw. So if the OP is looking to throw plugs and poppers and maybe do some eels, shads and bucktails maybe a 1-4 or 2-4 ounce rating should be considered. The 1-4 being favored for slim manufactured plugs (bombers, rapala's ect.

The key is to have a single rod that is fun to fish with the lures you most use. Or better performs best. Having used them prior I'd recommend a tsunami airwave as a decent start. They have fugi hardlloys, are relatively affordable, and when purchased from a big box store the opportunity to exchange or return is viable even if it breaks from your own doing.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM

For buying off the rack(for a begginer plugger/or fisherman) I would go for an okuma - Cedros Surf in 8-10' and the St.Croix Triumph 9-11' are pretty good, have seen these rods sold new for anywhere from $70-$130. Both mid level priced/performance rods that I have used.

What's odd is that I only see guys fishing very high end or very low end/quality gear, these guys must not do any research at all: "give me your most expensive setup" or "give me your biggest piece of crap - I'm only fishing today, I'll never use this rod again, I don't get to the sea shore very often"
Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM

If you can wait a few months there might be a new "contender" for all around surf fishing and claims to be sealed ?? Seems price friendly too.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/i...st-243992.aspx
Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenrat View Post
If you can wait a few months there might be a new "contender" for all around surf fishing and claims to be sealed ?? Seems price friendly too.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/i...st-243992.aspx
Water tight, it is not a "sealed" reel but, VERY resistant to water and sand. I would assume to be equivelent to the Vanstaal VM150 with exception to the quality of the gears.