Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Flyfishing with Currents

I have minimal flyfishing experience and am planning on trying my luck at stripers this spring. If fishing backbays with a baitfish pattern (deceiver or clouser), where should I cast in relation to the current? Up the current and work it back down, down the current and work it back against the current, straight out and let it drift...

Any info would be very appreciated.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Flyfishing with Currents

There are different approaches, but one would be to cast across and up, and let the fly swing across spots you think might hold fish, all the way til it is downcurrent of you. Then you can work your way up or downstream and cover the water. Usually i identify spots i want to cover, and try to figure out how to swing the fly, with some twitches and movement through that spot, making it look like i imagine a baitfish would look caught in the current.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Most fish will face the current when feeding. Remember, the baitfish are the ones being driven along into the current and into the mouths of the predators.
I find that a cast upcurrent to begin with and working my way through the rip every foot or so to potentially catch fish hanging both inside and outside the current.
Once the fly is through the current, I typically do a strip retrieve and then work the fly back through.

Fish are strange creatures thou, and if I don't catch anything with the old standards, and I know there are bass feeding, I'll try anything to catch them. At that point I'll fish with the rod between my legs if I thought it would help me land a fish.
Gibby
Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 AM
SS/Veteran

I was out in the river this weekend working my 9wt int. I hooked one brown in HEAVY flow. The water getting to my spot was about a 4' column of water.
I captured some images and will post in a bit.

I was throwing a brace {3 flies, 2 of which on droppers}, and casting about 50' upstream 'cause the current was rippin' so hard to get down to the current breaks and hold I needed about 20' of no tension on the line to sink, and then a low stick to swing.

I'll post with images and highlighted areas of the current.

Hopefully this will answer the ???'S
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Here's what I caught. I'm working out the details.

The wrapping at the edge of the rod, in the image is 18" from the butt.

Attached Images

Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Image1: Current profile with seams and edges highlighted
Image2: close up current
Image3: Exact area at low water
Image4: Striper water
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Alrighty, I can finally type.

The first thing I’d like to note is that albeit I’m refrencing a river, water is water is water, and weather it has salt in it or not, a column and it’s dynamics behave the same when it’s obstructed by whatever means; and therefore neither should the way one works it with a fly rod, or any other tackle for that matter.

Also, ambush species of fish, wether it’s a striper, small mouth, trout, muskie, or what ever have you, when they are in current, they’re going to find the area of least resistance to await their forage, where the current is doing the work for them. If you don’t believe this, and can’t get over the fact that I’m refrencing success in a sweet water river, and not an inlet, out flow, or boat channel, then close this post now because this will be lost on you.

Let’s start with the color coded current image. The blue area is absolutely screaming current. When this image was taken the deepest water is about 6’ deep. While it is a boulder strewn run, and there are current breaks there, it was entirely to fast to hold it with a 9wt int. The red area is where a second column of water joins the main flow. In the third image the X is my placement and the circle is where I hooked up.This corresponds to the green patch in the red area. The green center patch is an area of reduced flow, but it’s still haulin’. If nothing else note the “texture” of the water. Where seams and lines are created, are potential holding areas.

Before one addresses the water with the fly, the current seams and areas of slowest velocity should be found. In the colored image, where the colors meet are potential lies. Once the current breaks are recognized, then you can trouble shoot holding those breaks under current.

In order for me to be in the strike zone, which for my gear the other day are the dark red spots in the red patch, I had to cast between 30’ and 70’ up and across current{I had an upstream blow so I could only quarter so much off my backcast, which I was delivering on with out taking an eye out}. I had three flies on my leader. Two were attached via dropper loops, and the third {the point} was tied on with a standard clinch knot. My leader was 6' of 1x material{11# test}. The point fly was a 5” wooly bugger with super heavy stainless steel “eye balz” brand eyes tied in clouser style. The other two flies where 3” unweighted buggers. Once my cast landed way upcurrent, I let it drift without any tension for about 20’{which goes by FAST}. All the while it’s dead drifting I’m taking up some slack with a high rod tip, as I don’t want a belly which will rip it across current. At the point I was at depth I knew it because I could feel the point fly clicking on the rocks. It’s here that I point my rod down stream, and lower my rod tip while being some what tight to the fly. What this is doing, is simulating prey, locked in the column struggling to a lesser velocity, nose in the current, yet falling back. I lead it across the current and let the current sweep it. So by leading my flies down and across, I can stay somewhat ahead of the current in the green area, and by the time my flies are below me, they are still at depth and come to a holding spot on the current breaks, where an oppurtunistic fish may be. Also using three flies gives me a few depths in the column. I hooked that fish up on the middle dropper.

At this point look at the last image of an area I fish in the sod banks. The green arrow is the primary current direction, and the red arrows are the back eddie water. See the seams??? So basically, regardless of what you are targeting on current, in order to be affective you must get into the fishes’ kitchens, and to do this, I cast sufficiently upstream, stay slack while picking up the slack, and once I’m down I’ll lead the flies through lesser holding lies, with an emphasis on the flies holding at the primary one, at depth, for as long as possible.

Obviously I’d be much more effective explaining this on the water, but I’ll do my best on the keys to help you out. Come back with ???’s. I’ll do my best!!!

{BTW, I don't recommend crossing 4' of this type current, unless you're jacked in the quads, and know your water. There was a huge strainer down stream where I crossed to get on the rocky island. If I went down, I wasn't coming up!!!}

Tightlines!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Fish Tank : 03-27-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: didn't take the images
Old 03-27-2007, 11:15 PM

wow...i can definetly say i learned something today. Only problem now is I just realized I know nothing about fishing in currents. Guess I have to get out and practice!

thank you for the lesson...feel free to share more like this...love the pics too, really helps explain it.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Justinwoods, I hope this helps. There are many variables when dealing with current. One point I wished to make is that the velocity of current reduces as you get deeper in the column. So in a wall of water there may be a sweet spot, or velocity off the bottom that a fish finds to its liking.

Last {this is all I have time for now} a fly like the buggers or even decievers or clousers, will totally compress and loose some of their undulating characteristics, if held on a fully tight line while swinging in fast current. By leading the fly or falling back with it still appears to be fighting the current, but the materials breath more.

That's all I have time for now. I wish I had a video camera, I'd show ya'!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
SS/Veteran

A couple more things I remembered.

The amount of tension placed on the line, when on the swing will control where the fly rides. If real tight, the resistance on the flies and line to the water, will cause it to ride up. If just barely tight to the flies they will hold at the level where tension is applied. If totally slack, with weighted line, flies, or split shot, the flies sink. By varying the sink time on the upcurrent cast, tension on the swing,amount of line in the water, and rod tip orientation, the whole column can be worked quite subtly. Line up the variables and hold on.

Next, leader diameter can be used to control depth in the column. The thinner the leader diameter the quicker the flies get down, and the less resistance on the swing. Wanna' hold higher in the column thicker diameter leader and mono, it's more boyant, floro to sink.

After a while it's kinda' like the blues...

"Aint nuthin' but a feelin' !!!"

Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Lunchtime trout.

I had a little while today and ran down the river. It was higher than the other day due to a heavy snow pack in the head waters area.

This time I took the 10wt w\ a 400 head. A tad over kill, but I locked the drag down and used 18# floro w\ one bugger. With no drag in that current this 17" felt like a 10# bass.

Attached Images

Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 PM

Fish Tank,
Up until now my fly fishing experience has been on the flats down in the islands sightfishing for bones and such. I can see that fishing for stripers is going to be a challange as the water up here is not 6 inches deep and clear. It looks like I am going to have a lot of learning to do. Thanks for all the advice. It was very helpful.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Anytime Pal!!!

Some of this stuff is hard to explain in words. Once you start getting out keep me posted on how you're doing.

I've never had the chance to get on bones, but they seem intense. The only problem with where bones live is that it's too hot for me. I have a hard time dealing with 70degrees no less 90's.

It is a hoot hooking up on current though. If you're down, and on the swing, when one picks up, you'll feel a click in the line, you'll set and when you do you'll hear your line slicing and ripping through the water, hopefully followed by cleared line and a screaming drag!!!

Good luck and tightlines Bro'!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
SS/Veteran

I hit another decent fish last night, same current area. The x marks the spot. He hit a 4" deceiver creation in olive over grey with grey\black badger saddles{dace like}. This one jumped the brace on a slight retrieve after the swing. I think this one tracked it for a bit.

I hope the bass in the sods this weekend are as cooperative.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2007, 07:35 PM

That was a good presentation about good looking water and great looking fish.
There is a more effective approach to that type of water. Using a floater with mini sink tips (2 to 6 foot or a 15' sink tip in whatever type is needed (3, 6 or 8) cast across and 1/4 down with a reach cast then immediately dump something around 10' or more of line on the water and then immediately make a big mend (to eliminate slack and allow the line to sink) feel the back pressure, dump more line, mend, dump, etc. This approach reduces slack to its minimum and gets the fly down fast and allows it to drift for distance.
Up and across using an intermediate or full sink misses too many hits and just doesn't cover enough water. Great looking fish.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Casting across isn't possible there. There's a big tree hanging directly behind me, and one over hanging the water just out of view on the far bank.

To move my position upstream, would have placed a cross stream cast into a 5' column of screaming water, only about 8' from me. There's a flood control, rip rap wall there. I'm positioned on a rock island mid-stream.

To cast off my forehand going directly across current puts the cast into a tree.

Last, I had the 10wt rigged, and the 9 rigged, and just opened my Thules and went.

Here's an overview. See where the rip-rap wall ends on the far bank??? I'm directly across from it.

Attached Images