Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Sleep in my car in NJ??

Hey guys, I moved to Philadelphia not to long ago after college. I grew up fishing the Maryland shore with my father but its time to check out the Jersey coast. Ive spent time in the summer there in Ocean City at a friends summer home but have not yet fished and am excited to get down there. I have a random question though, if I drive down to say Ocean City on a Friday afternoon and fish from maybe 6-11 or so, can I sleep in my car to be able to get back up at say 5am to fish the morning? I dont have anywhere to stay and if I were to drive down, Id like to be able to fish/sleep/fish. I imagine if I was parked in a legal spot on one of the side streets near the beach, there would be no issue with my truck being there, but if someone saw me sleeping in the back would it be illegal? If anyone has any experience with this Id greatly appreciate some advice. The joys of being young and poor......but a sleeping back in my truck is all I need for a few hour nap before hitting the morning bite!!! Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Re: Sleep in my car in NJ??

Most if not all NJ shore towns have something on the books against it. Best bet would be call the local PD and see if theirs a place to get some rest while driving thru or a park nearby that allows overnight parking. You would probably get less hassle at during daylight hours. Is their a Wal-Mart or similar on the out skirts, if you see tractors parked for the night. Or run out to the parkway, think you will be inbetween 2 rest stops, AC to the north Cape May to the south, Cape May is probably quieter.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM

just cross back over the north end of the island at the longport bridge and pull in the public parking there you shouldnt have any problems as it will be filled with other anglers , herd another 30+pounder was pulled in there this week
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM

In the summer this would be impossible, but I think you'll be able to find a place to sleep if you look at some out of the way places or places with lots of fishermen. I see inland surfers doing this quite a bit right in some of the more populated spots in monmouth, although most have vans that keep them pretty well hidden.

The most important thing, in my estimation, would be how you handle it when/if a cop approaches you. Lots of "yes officer" and "sirs" along with an explanation that you are just trying to catch a few winks before you fish some more or, even better, tell them you were too sleepy to drive home safely. If you couch it as a safety thing, they might be cooler. And you're not really lying.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM

I?ve been trying to find out a similar situation. I fish Brigantine and the north end has a large parking lot. Was wondering if I brought my motor home down there and fished the day/evening then went back there and crashed so I could fish the early morning would that be allowable?
Anyone know anything about this?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

you may want to discreetly inquire at rip tide.

probably a don't ask don't tell policy, but Brigantine must have some rules on this due to the summer crowd.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 AM
SS/Insider

You'd have to check with teh township about this. As started above if you head back out to the parkway and hit a rest stop you'll be fine. Also pay attention for parking lots taht have trucks in them and you might be ok there too. The key is if you're out of site you'll be in a better situation. Last thing you want is a cop or "security" gaurd taping on your window at 4am wanting to know what you're doing. If you get approached bya cop definatly use the saftey aspect.

Also, there might be a hotel in the area with a low rate that you could crash at for under $50. That would be my best bet as long as you have a few $$ to spend. You'll get a better sleep and can freshen up in the AM before heading back out to fish. Plus you don't have to worry about finding a place to crash and deal with any repercustions.

Just an idea.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistence View Post
I?ve been trying to find out a similar situation. I fish Brigantine and the north end has a large parking lot. Was wondering if I brought my motor home down there and fished the day/evening then went back there and crashed so I could fish the early morning would that be allowable?
Anyone know anything about this?
Pm or email me at jskelly14@verizon.net for the solution to your question. Joe
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

OC is a no-no.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 042801 View Post
Pm or email me at jskelly14@verizon.net for the solution to your question. Joe
Joe shot you an email....