Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

[ATTACH]indexOf[/ATTACH]

You mean this scene, Mule.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
[ATTACH]indexOf[/ATTACH]

You mean this scene, Mule.
Yep FRANK---The Killer kitty is just taking a break, contemplating the next strategy, since the first one, obviously failed.

MULE.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM
SS/Veteran

The killer kitty is a democrat in disguise and the doe deer might be a republican but I think she might be a member of the innocent masses. Sooner or later they will come to the reality that compromise is the best thing for all.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM
SS/Veteran

New trend or maybe a fade that the good old boys here in Western Mass are training Walker dogs to chase coyotes. It seems the Walkers get on the track of a coyote and are trained to run the coyote back towards the hunters in which they shoot with No 2 shot (shotguns). Seems to me like beagles on a rabbit in those good old days long gone by. Of course the dogs are are trimmed out with electronic collars and the biggest casualties for the dogs is traffic. I guess something's never change.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM

No, its not a fad, Richard. I heard about running coyotes with radio collared dogs years ago. Hunting a preserve for chukars yesterday one of the guy's daughters shot one Saturday night which she called in with her boy friend -- a 40 pounder. Thing is there is an all-new body of knowledge related to hunting them bricks. I suppose you could wear a white coat and lay in the snow with a pound of liver on your chest; that might work. I would love to get involved in coyote hunting as it would extend the season.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM
SS/Veteran

I have made a study of this winter extended hunting trend. You really have to get geared up and it is a from the home, out a window hunt. Since most coyotes hunt at night sitting off from a bait pile in the middle of the night in the winter does not sound to me like a fun thing. The drill is a bait pile at a known range with renderings wired down and a driveway alarm to wake you when alarm goes off and a rifle or shotgun (close range) and what I had a problem with is someone to hold the spot light. Of course you can overcome that with some of the new attached to the rifle gadgets. A trail camera near the bait pile is also fun to view in the winter for a pass time.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 AM
SS/Veteran

I always got the impression that red fox was kind of an exotic species. You know, the paintings of the English fox hunt on the wall in wealthy folks homes..

But Long Island here has a healthy population of them. Of course, in the far less conjested eastern half. Although, the ones I have seen look more scrawny and smaller than the ones in the paintings.

My uncle (no pun intended) was babysitting farm animals on a friend's vineyard on the north fork the other week. He had to yell to scare away a fox that was obviously looking for chicken for lunch..or do they only eat the eggs....or both!!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
I always got the impression that red fox was kind of an exotic species. You know, the paintings of the English fox hunt on the wall in wealthy folks homes..

But Long Island here has a healthy population of them. Of course, in the far less conjested eastern half. Although, the ones I have seen look more scrawny and smaller than the ones in the paintings.

My uncle (no pun intended) was babysitting farm animals on a friend's vineyard on the north fork the other week. He had to yell to scare away a fox that was obviously looking for chicken for lunch..or do they only eat the eggs....or both!!
I've seen them on the exiting access road at Heckscher State Park on LI, next to a wooded area (I know...DUH!). The few I've seen there looked stocky, but they were definitely fox.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Well I do have to confess with a picture in Black and White I have a problem with telling the difference between a Grey fox, Red fox and a Coyote. In living color it is no problem.

Back in the day when my farm was active people often dropped off roosters because when cooked even in soup it is very very tough, chewy meat. Females lay eggs so they are keepers and the best for eating are Meat birds a cross breed. To answer your question any K-9 family will love and eat a chicken and be licking his lips as he carries it off.

Face to face with a red fox at about 50 yards as a rooster was behind me another 50 yards the fox looked at me and I stared at him. I gave in and walked away as the fox waved thanks and the rooster was never seen again but for a few feathers on the ground.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM

I've never done it but the people I'm talking about call them in by playing records after dark preferring moonlit nights with blinds and either T shot or "Dead Coyote" shells from a shotgun. It is mostly close range shooting on a called in coyote and they have to quit before midnight, I think the law says.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Areas infested with coyotes, there is often a lot of cheating the law going on. Permission from land owners is easy to obtain. Coyotes killed almost always are never checked in at the checking stations. Loud shot in the middle of the night often is ignored by police if they are called which is unlikely. You will know if your area is infested when you do not see any rabbits, squirrels or road kills that last over night. Deer shot during hunting season when shot at sundown often the hunter will want to return in the morning to recover only to find coyotes have had a feast during the night.

For example in my area I have one red squirrel and one grey squirrel and two rabbits that I hope will make it until spring. Come to think of it I have not seen the squirrels lately. Virtually no deer although one fawn was born in my back forty two years ago. I would like to see the balance restored--simple as that!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM

There is controversy over coyote effectivly reducing the deer. Up north they say the coyotes kill any deer; locally they say only fawns in spring/early summer. A lot of places we hunt with plenty of deer also have coyote sign all over. I think a lot of coyote are left to rot in the woods. I know I don't want one. Only want the satisfaction that I participated in their irradication .
Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
"Canned hunts" aka caned hunts and caned fishing are the wave of the future what with the population increasing and the demand for people wanting instant gratification. Surf fisherman will sooner of later have to turn to boat fishing. Deer hunters will have to turn to the bow and arrow to hunt close to populated areas.

Pretty sad in my opinion and I am glad to be outta here when this comes about.
MR. MERLIN----even though I love to catch big LMbass, I don't fish farm ponds, (where, characteristically, the biggest bass are found, in this county), even though there is a pond in walking distance from my home in which I suspect there are some huge bass. Don't care to catch anything thing that's hemmed in. Almost like fishing in a hatchery. These hunting shows that feature big kills in fenced in areas, with the hunters jumping around, hollaring, high-fiving like a bunch of damned idiots as if they've impregnated four women in one night, make me want'a puke.

MULE.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
MR. MERLIN----even though I love to catch big LMbass, I don't fish farm ponds, (where, characteristically, the biggest bass are found, in this county)MULE.
Steve,

Farm ponds not only have the largest LMB in your county, but that is true in each state.

Before "Mr. Smarty" got me hooked (sorry) on striper fishing, my sole purpose in life was to fish for largemouths. I have caught, (if you will), a full-house of largemouths; three nine pounders and two eight pounders. (Although I have never caught a "ten".) Matter of fact, the morning we moved from MA to VA, (46 years ago) I went fishing one last time in Norton Reservoir, and caught my first "citation" largemouth, a six pound and change.

After we moved to VA, I became obsessed with catching largemouths, and did quite a bit of research on it. The VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries USED to compile a list of ALL of the citations (of all fish) caught each year. By doing this research, this is where I found out that over three-quarters of the largemouth citations caught each year, are caught in "farm ponds".
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
There is controversy over coyote effectivly reducing the deer. Up north they say the coyotes kill any deer; locally they say only fawns in spring/early summer. A lot of places we hunt with plenty of deer also have coyote sign all over. I think a lot of coyote are left to rot in the woods. I know I don't want one. Only want the satisfaction that I participated in their irradication .
Let me cut to the chase Frank and I am not going to to quote sites but just give you my interpretation of them.

In some places where coyotes are infested the mortality rate of fawns, less then 1 week old, is 75%. I found that rate exceedingly high but who am I to judge. In mature deer who have yarded up in deep snow where their hoofs and legs sink to the base and there might be a crust the coyotes rule the day. Now you can make a judgement whether the mature deer dies of over exertion or starves and the coyotes dine or did the coyotes hunting in packs cause this death. It does not make much of a difference (cause and effect or effect and cause).

My opinion is that coyotes need killing--to put things back in balance with other animals. Red fox and grey fox in my opinion get a free pass but fisher cats--well that is another subject for a different time.

Regarding your other post: Tapes not records played in your shoot room with a small speaker hanging out the window works. Try and not mix up the elk call tape with the wounded rabbit tape in the darkness--not that I have done that!