Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Try this out, now that your forced me into it: I know to small but you will get the drift of events.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Good job, Merlin, that's great. That is no baby fisher. I would just as soon not confront one of them buggahs. The picture size is about right for this application. Nobody, including me, wants to fool around sizing it perfectly. I could never shoot one,however, unless I was ascared ......
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM
SS/Veteran

You will never have to confront one, but on a rare occasion might see one chasing a domestic cat in the daytime. You will know they are around and might be breeding if you are up in the middle of a summer's night with your windows open and hear a sound like someone torturing and human baby. You will discount that as just a fisher but soon will note all rabbits, squirrels, song birds and domestic cats have vanished.
And then comes the coyotes. The bait on that stump are bones from a deer, last year and some old dog food I scattered around this year. Real fun playing around with a trail camera by the way. All of these photos were taken in the middle of the night when I was in la la land sleeping the sleep of the innocent.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 04:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Good job, Merlin, that's great. That is no baby fisher. I would just as soon not confront one of them buggahs. The picture size is about right for this application. Nobody, including me, wants to fool around sizing it perfectly. I could never shoot one,however, unless I was ascared ......
hey Mister Mer! what the hell is that? Seems cute but I sense Frank is a wee bit scared of it.. I'm not sure we have those guys on LI.... they eat fisherman?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
SS/Veteran

otter?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 PM
SS/Veteran

I think thats a fisher cat, canal has a bunch of em.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
SS/Veteran

I never heard of or seen fisher cats. But the look on the face reminds me of wolverenes. Which is found in the far north..and have seen on T.V. one scare an adult grizzly off a cariou carcaas.. An amazing feat for such a small animal.

Would surely kick any of our ashes..
Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Yeah I've seen fisher cats at the canal. One of the rangers over there told us one year a fisher cat killed some ladys dog.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
SS/Veteran

To answer questions: Yes that is a fisher cat that if you want to know more about you can search the web (google) and wiki has a good article on them. They to my understanding have moved down from Canada having lived her many years ago and being re-intoduced down here. Another answer is I live in Western Massachusetts that was asked. The second photo is an every day coyote that are haunting at night in most every area. TV says the streets at night in Detroit are infested with them and if you are out will follow and stock you. Of course no big thing because everyone out there are armed.

The fisher is not a nice creature (but protected in most states) and the chance of you seeing one in the day time are remote. The chances of you doing hand to hand combat with one are the same as winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM

An interesting aspect of spending your life in the outdoors, if you live long enough, is watching the evolution of wildlife. Growing up with Pa and brother Norman, the woods was all small game -- grouse, native pheasants, tons of rabbits, woodcock. There were no deer, geese, turkeys, like today which are at nuisance levels. I often wonder if things are not better now than when I was a little snot-gobbler.

Yesterday, a half mile from the house going hunting, we almost hit a big doe crossing the road we live on. Someabody in West Bridgwater hit an 800 pound moose with their car like only 40 miles from us. A gosh-taked moose -- that would fill a freezer big time.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
SS/Veteran

In my opinion mother nature in the North East is way out of balance. What caused this, ranges from polution to human's taking habitate to piss poor management. Those old days are gone forever where in the early fall you would hear the drumming of a partrige (grouse) to beagles in hot pursuit of a fleeing rabbit only so a hunter might or would get a shot. Kids walking the streets with their new .22's on the way to the woods in the search for a few squirrels. French meat pies were to die for.

Moose---you can hit them and if you live through it while you car is dead meat and on the way to the bone yard in this state cannot be kept by a citizen. They have a tendency to show up out of no where and when hit fly over the hood and come through the windshield in your lap. Pick up trucks with the plow's on tend to do better just totaling the truck. Who gets the meat, I would guess the green cops or the landfill. Have you ever seen a skinny green cop? They can eat their boots with Sweet Babies Ray's sauce.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM

There have been several shooting accidents while hunting in New England. At least one guy was killed. New Hampshire and Vermont do not have the hunter orange law. I would not hunt in a state that gun hunted in camos only.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 AM
SS/Veteran

There is no debate that hunter blaze safety orange saves lives. Both Vt and NH have a rifle season which makes the risks way higher.

In Pa where safety orange is required, 1 million hunters hit the woods on first day, schools close etc there are many hunting accidents. The majority are self inflicted or accidental shooting by a family member and the third category is falling from a tree stand will climbing up or climbing down. These figures all dwarf the figures of texting while driving which leads the list.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Does anyone hunt those black sea ducks that we see while fishing? I have lived on the coast my whole life snd never seen them before this year around here in south jersey. I figure since the fish aren't biting and there are plenty of sea ducks around...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes, they taste like mud. I suggest you leave them alone.