Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I agree, Merlin, stay in Massachusetts where people don't have an attitude.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Well perhaps I did not explain my friends story enough to become clear. He and his younger buddy have permission to hunt a pice of land. He and the friend stuck a deer with bow in the shoulder (not good) so he waited a bit of time and then trailed the buck to a neighbor's property. Because landlord owner have bold powers he went and asked at the house of the owner if he could trail the buck and the owner blew up on him saying all deer hunting should be prohibited. Tuning around he was advised by permission owner to put back on their camo and with weak flashlights to search for the deer. I consider that on the wacko an attitude and understand the bad attitude is all over the country.

To change the subject my friend put on tick repellant the stuff sprayed all over his cloths. The younger hunter passed on that event but in several hours freaked out to the max and yelled to his friend he was being eaten. Picking off 110 actual count ticks both deer and wood ticks he settled down and became a believer in the repellant.

Yep! Do not look for this fragile body down there, because I will hunt around home instead of in the bowels of the cities.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM

"Yep! Do not look for this fragile body down there, because I will hunt around home instead of in the bowels of the cities."

Name:  Dick's Week end of 3 -- R.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  84.5 KB

The buck was shot while eating the shrubs at the Providence Police Station. Next doe on the right was taken with a close support air strike in Warwick. The doe on the floor was taken from an East Greenwich kindergarten shooting out the boys room window.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank--you talked my fragile body to buying my way into the Providence Rhode Island police station and set up a stand in the men's room or for that fact the ladies room if I can wear the right camo. Frees me of the tick problem and warm and toastie. The heck with that fare chance thing the bunny huggers talk about, kill them all, if it is brown it is down!
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Merlin, make the Providence Police an offer they can't refuse. With written permission in Rhody your hunting could be pretty good. If you come to Rhody, also try the brush between the Rt 195 north and south bound lanes.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Media strip idea is not a bad one afterall the biggest buck, a road kill in Mass was taken on Rt 128. You would just have to find out what distance you need from a paved road in that state. In Mass it is 150 feet. Hang three old blaze orange vests in trees with me wearing the fourth and wait for someone to report the dreaded hunters and then SWAT police checking out the orange would act as drivers. Public land so no need of permission but you could only fire parallel to the traffic. Parking might be a slight problem.

"BEST BUCK of 2004: The 210 5/8" Route 128 Buck - If you know the state of Massachusetts at all, you know that the busiest highway in Boston is Route 128. In fact, this is one of the busiest and most gridlocked roads in the US. It is hard to imagine that any deer could inhabit the tiny slivers of cover that run along the median and next to the highway in this densely populated urban area, never mind a monster deer like the one struck by a car last October! Norfolk county deer hunter Jeff Draper loves the woods. But like most of us, he spends a good deal of his time making a living (not hunting!). And in Massachusetts that means traveling some of the most congested highways in the US. Jeff was traveling Route 128 last fall - a multi-lane roadway near Boston - when he noticed what he thought might be a decent buck dead in the median area. "

Last edited by Merlin : 10-27-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM

One time at one of the shows, I met Rip Cunningham, a former editor of SWS who happens to hunt. And either he or a buddy shot a 10 point buck in Concord, Mass. I haven't been there lately but there can't be much woods in Concord.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 PM
SS/Veteran

There have been many deer taken that defies logic where they were not expected to be while a hunter hunts the deep woods and maybe scores where no outside noise was present. No noise where you senses become sharp, no traffic no nothing but at one with nature, where you can hear your heart beat.

Do not know anything about Concord but the poem learned in high school of "By the rude bridge that arched the flood" which from yesterday's experience is a bypass highway that you have to pay to get through. Sorry about the attitude but I traveled to Boston in the rain yesterday if I went 80 mph hour I could pass but if I did the speed limit I was running with the trucks. Nice to see all those people in a hurry who must like each other because they live so close together to go no where in a hurry, and to think deer live down there and seem to flourish is a wonder.

Snow coming your way to test your metal.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM

We are a bed room community for Boston. Not sure what to think about Boston people moving in around here. They seem lost, seem bewildered by their new surrondings, almost foreign. You buy a $500,000 house then sell your old car by putting it on the lawn with a sign. There is something wrong with this picture. They have these big McMansions, lose them, and just leave. Don't they know that if they make three right turns they are going to be where they started? Duh! Maybe its me.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 PM
SS/Veteran

I made a study of this because I have a tendency to analyze things to much and have come to the conclusion that thid species sees the world through a toilet paper tube with insatiable wants. They rarly know their neighbors even next door never mind two doors down, know it is three turns to the right, stay right on the rotary and go straight to work. Ask then where something is one block away and they are perplexed, never make eye contact when speaking too and women hold there pocket books close. Walk away from debt as if it was an old pair of socks but for some reason bounce back.

Get the snow I sent you yet? Kids trick or treating in snow suits--you have to love it! With leaves on trees and heavy snow I hope you have your gear (generator) ready to go. Just heard on the news 286,000 households so far that lost power.

Beautiful winter wonder land out there ---nice! lets move on to spring!

Yep, maybe it is me too.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 PM

If you live on a state border you really get a feel for the contempt other residents have for Mass gun laws. Combine that with this Boston mentality moving out to the suburbs and so much evil is attributed to guns you hate to mention that you shoot targets and or hunt. Worse yet, you don't want to be seen going into the woods as they call the police. "There is a man on my road with a gun!" "Mam, its hunting season."
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis- try going to and out of state gun show where if you mention you are from Massachusetts you might as well have leprosy. Try ordering anything shooting related on line and you will notice "we do not ship to Ma, NJ and Washington DC". Even if it is a bullet a bare XXX bullet, you know you could use as a sinker, chunk of coated lead. Sorry they say cannot ship but our crime rate is on line with other states if not leading the way. Go figure and it just makes you fill with anger on how dumb ignorant people like sheep can be.

I wonder where the gangs get their stuff and maybe I will shop in their stores.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM

The Globe says crime is down. But it doesn't feel that way. I know in Sociology class they say that crime statistics are fooled around with more than a stripper in a gin mill. Boston is all gun crimes. I sense that a polarization exists between the two parties and that one party punishes the other by more gun laws. Also, along similar lines, gun sales nationally are rising. There is a huge increase in enrollment in gun courses for women, even in Massachusetts. It may take a while but I see a huge backlashe in Mass over gun laws. It may take a while.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
The Globe says crime is down. But it doesn't feel that way. I know in Sociology class they say that crime statistics are fooled around with more than a stripper in a gin mill. Boston is all gun crimes. I sense that a polarization exists between the two parties and that one party punishes the other by more gun laws. Also, along similar lines, gun sales nationally are rising. There is a huge increase in enrollment in gun courses for women, even in Massachusetts. It may take a while but I see a huge backlashe in Mass over gun laws. It may take a while.
Well that explains the pink colored stocked guns in the larger gun stores out there. I thought it was just for the pink lovers amongst us.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM

S&W has had a pink Lady Smith for years. We have been seeing a woman pheasant hunting every weekend. I'm attracted to women with guns. Imagine a calandar of a woman wearing black stockings and gartar belt with six guns in a matching black holster. Hunter orange G-string .