Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Exclamation Updated Advisory for Consuming Large Bluefish

The following is a DEP News Release available on the DEP website at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2009/09_0011.htm .

NEW JERSEY UPDATES ADVISORY FOR CONSUMING LARGE BLUEFISH

The Department of Environmental Protection today announced a new recommendation for consuming large bluefish, a popular species commonly caught in Atlantic Ocean waters.

In coordination with the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and agencies in six other states, the DEP updated its fish consumption advisories and is recommending that the public consume no more than one meal every other month (six meals per year) of bluefish larger than 24 inches. Previously, fish consumption advisories for large bluefish recommended four meals per year for most people.

Bluefish contain polychlorinated biphenyls at levels which may pose a risk to public health; the same health concern exists for another popular species, striped bass. Long-term exposure to PCBs has been shown to cause cancer and a number of other serious health effects, including damage to the nervous system of developing fetuses, the immune system and the reproductive system.

For bluefish smaller than 24 inches and for striped bass, state officials continue to recommend no more than one meal per month (12 meals a year) for most people. Also unchanged are the bluefish and striped bass consumption advisories for infants, children, pregnant women, nursing mothers and women of child-bearing age - a high-risk group that is advised to avoid eating any bluefish or striped bass caught in Atlantic coastal waters.

Officials in New Jersey and six other coastal states updated their fish consumption advisories based on the results of a multi-state study, which evaluated PCB levels in striped bass and bluefish from Maine to Georgia. Completed in 2008, the study also showed that bluefish and striped bass are not good sources of beneficial fish oils. Different from other fish, these two species have lower amounts of omega-3 fatty acids compared to the amount of PCBs they contain.

The other states -- Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland - also are issuing similar updates and instructing pregnant women, young children and other high-risk people to avoid eating striped bass and large bluefish. All others are advised to consume only moderate amounts of these fish.

Aggressive cleanup efforts and improved disposal practices have reduced PCB contamination in the environment, and a continued decline in PCB levels in fish is anticipated. In the meantime, the public is encouraged to enjoy more frequent meals of other types of marine and freshwater species, such as flounder, weakfish and trout.

For more information, visit New Jersey's fish advisory Web site at www.FishSmartEatSmartNJ.org.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Updated Advisory for Consuming Large Bluefish

they only stated what's been my policy for years... the little ones always taste better to me (in fact, the little rXXXXs are best...well before they fatten up on bunker etc)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
SS/Insider

I agree with RobS on this, when it comes to bluefish nothing bigger then 16".
Fried in a little butter, seasoned with salt and pepper = Delicious!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM

this works for me since I can't seem to get either of the two on the end of the line!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nates View Post
this works for me since I can't seem to get either of the two on the end of the line!
capt nates thats priceless, might just have to go to bed on that note.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 AM
SS/Insider

I read this the other day. Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything . . but isn't it odd how the advisory focuses on two species that are almost entirely a sport fishery? Notably absent is Tuna, Mahi Mahi, and other apex predators that could accumulate toxins over a lifetime. Sure I understand that Blues & Stripers are more inshore species but last I checked pollutants don't care where they are in the water and baitfish tend to move from inshore to offshore. I would be willing to bet most people ingest FAR, FAR more toxins from a lifetime of tuna then a die-hard fisherman will ever ingest from eating their catch. I'd wager that some congressman's pocket is lined with a little extra cash from some of the larger food companies to keep things like tuna off advisory lists.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM

this is the first and last time I kept any quantity of bluefish. We ate a fair amount and gave away a lot to those who would also eat, but much of this catch became fertilizer.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Moderator, Team SS

OK I won't ask how hard it was to catch those blues with the technology of the day steel rods and cat gut line
but I have to ask is that a sliding board that ends at a brick wall?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM

yeah, it's how I kept the kids in line

(actually all caught on light spinning rods, rapalas... or what was left of them after the first dozen or so, from a boat... caught many many more that day)
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM

hahaha nice pick up row
Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgithens View Post
I read this the other day. Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything . . but isn't it odd how the advisory focuses on two species that are almost entirely a sport fishery? Notably absent is Tuna, Mahi Mahi, and other apex predators that could accumulate toxins over a lifetime. Sure I understand that Blues & Stripers are more inshore species but last I checked pollutants don't care where they are in the water and baitfish tend to move from inshore to offshore. I would be willing to bet most people ingest FAR, FAR more toxins from a lifetime of tuna then a die-hard fisherman will ever ingest from eating their catch. I'd wager that some congressman's pocket is lined with a little extra cash from some of the larger food companies to keep things like tuna off advisory lists.
Hey Guys, See the below. This might answer your questions on why the Tuna haven't gotten hit so bad:

Large-scale environmental contamination incidents

[edit] United States

[edit] New York State

Between approximately 1947 and 1977 General Electric Company (GE) released up to 1,300,000 pounds (590,000 kg) of PCBs into the Hudson River[15]. The PCBs came from the company's two capacitor manufacturing plants at Hudson Falls and Fort Edward in New York State.[15]
In 1976, because of concern over continuing high levels of PCBs in local fish and other aquatic organisms, and the unacceptable risk to the health of consumers of such fish, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation banned all fishing in the Upper Hudson River, as well as commercial fishing of striped bass and several other species in the Lower Hudson River,[16][15] and also issued advisories restricting the consumption of fish caught within a 20-mile (30 km) long segment of the Hudson River from Hudson Falls to Troy.[15][17]
There have been many programs of remediation work to reduce the PCB pollution. In 1984, approximately 200 miles (320 km) of the Hudson River was designated a Superfund site, and attempts to cleanup the Upper Hudson River began, including the removal in 1977-8 of 180,000 cubic yards (140,000 m3) of contaminated river sediments near Fort Edward.[16] In 1991, further PCB pollution was found at Bakers Falls near the former GE Hudson Falls factory, and a program of remediation was started.[16] In August 1995, a 40-mile (64 km) reach of the Upper Hudson was re-opened to fishing but only on a catch-and-release basis.[16] Removal of contaminated soil from Rogers Island was completed in December 1999.[16] In 2002, the United States Environmental Protection Agency announced a further 2,650,000 cubic yards (2,030,000 m3) of contaminated sediments in the Upper Hudson River would be removed.