Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 08-02-2004, 02:05 PM

im looking to buy a kayak, ive always loved the idea of fishing on them and recently was able to do so on a lake. im leaning towards a heritage, it seems good for light ocean and bays. any advice as to what i should get. im 6'3", 235 lbs. im looking for a nice stable sit in kayak for light ocean and bays. any input would be great.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:05 PM

im looking to buy a kayak, ive always loved the idea of fishing on them and recently was able to do so on a lake. im leaning towards a heritage, it seems good for light ocean and bays. any advice as to what i should get. im 6'3", 235 lbs. im looking for a nice stable sit in kayak for light ocean and bays. any input would be great.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 PM

Fishboy: I'm a neewbie to the sport and this fall will complete my first year on the yak...most of my launches have been on the surf with some occasional lake peaceful launches.

I have a Tarpon 140 and luv it. Enjoy the handling, speed, and stability...hatches are so...so...

I'm 5'10" and 185lbs. apparently water in the footwells and cockpit is common with weights exceeding 200...therefore this yak is not your choice.

I'm not familiar with the heritage but I'm sure many will recommend the SOT yaks for fishing purposes...I agree. Standby, I'm sure many of the experts will chime in with some advice.

PS recommend checking out www.kayakfishingstuff.com where you'll find lots of useful info about various yaks including personal yak reviews.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 AM

yea, i read all of that and got some links to some nice kayaks. the heritage is made for fishing as is the tarpon but its nice and wide.

thanks for your advice as well, but i have a question. why do you prefer the sot kayaks, isn't it easier to get wet?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:19 AM

Fishboy, I'm curious as to how you've determined that the Fisherman is a good yak for you. It wasn't made for fishing either. The designer, who I met, doesn't even fish. It's a recreational model that they put 3 rod holders in. That's like putting race tires on an economy car. It doesn't make it a race car.
Have you paddled it or simply read about it? At your size I would suggest that you don't consider the yak. There are far better choices for a man of your size.
I suggest checking out what others your size and who fish the same waters you plan to fish are using. This will help you a great deal in making a decision.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Listen to Baja, he has the answers to all your kayak questions or will get them. Too many people just read and really never take the time to try em out. Demo Days are far and few lately because it's an late spring/early summer thing. If you can try before you buy or talk to the experts at KFS.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:00 AM

FISHBOY:

1. I prefer the SOTs frankly b/c of easier entry and exit especially since most of my launches are from the ocean surf
2. Easier access to my gear and rods especially while on the water, storage capability

That's my opinion...I think on KFS's website forum you'l lfind various opinions about your question and an actual thread that "never died".

Listen to Baja (Jon) he'll steer you in the right direction.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM

Fishboy...about getting wet...early spring and fall I wear chest waders with a gul dry top and have remained DRY after taking a dip..Obviously in the summer shorts and a t shift...Of course always have the PFD on.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 AM

yea, i figured chest waders would be a good option. thanks baja for the input, you're actually right about the fisherman being the right yak for me. im moving to a malibu or pro explorer. do you think those would be good for me baja?