Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I think some of the banned words are kind of mild. I know you can't say the short version of creating a downstream vaccuum. Also, a good way of getting the F word through is through the use of PH for the ffffff sound. But whenever I use it I always feel guilty and wake up in the middle of the night feeling sorry. I think we are obliged to keep it clean, though I should talk . Here at the Brothers of the Holy Cross we should know better.
Signed, Father Guido Sarducci
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
SS/Veteran

I think as mature adults (that we pretend to be). We should close this chapter on censorship or find the censor and beat the snouts out of him (just kidding here) and move on to Frank's plan to score a Turkey this season.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Turkey hunting is the funnest thing with clothes on. We think, I say think because a lot is not known, the birds have begun to split up for the big party. Now we are seeing two, and threes, and lone birds. No more 25 bird flocks. Maybe the opener will have more lonesome toms than usual.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Gee! I thought you would say that you and Joyce take a ride at sunset the day before and get out of the buggy to blow an owl call (need one). Then in the morning before dawn you sneak in with full camos including gun, head net and sit in the bushes (feeding the ticks) with a geniune Quaker State, slate caller until one comes along. Picking the big male with beard dragging on the ground and bang down or are you a road hunter?

Move on to the next state?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
SS/Veteran

I should tell all: Around here hunters go out at dusk from place to place with an owl call. This is the time of the day where turkey's roost in trees for the night and gobble loadly when they hear an owl or owl call. The hunter then goes back early in the morning before dawn and hides in camos and does his/her store bought calls to draw the turkey into range which is about 40 yards or less. Head shot is the place of choice because who wants to eat a turkey munching down on lead shot.

Of course there are the jackers that shoot with a .22 (at the base of the neck) and call it a done deal. Jacking also called illegal hunting.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Given this photo is of a big bear raiding a bird feeder with a delicate technic, that was taken by the homeowner which appeared in the local paper, you might note the finger he is holding up under the feeder. No damage was done but an empty feeder remained hanging. I love it!
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM

I just read in one of the big three that pepper spray puts bears on their knees better than a gun. Apparently they can't stand it. I've only met one bear in my life and it was big and I was ascared inspite of having a Model 77 bolt action 30:06 in my hands.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
SS/Veteran

With a 10 foot spray range with the wind not in the right direction that is an ingredient for disaster that all conditions are not present. I suppose it gives you something to do while you get run over. You know, like a knife in a shark attack or shark repellant issued to pilots in WW2 who were shot down in the Pacific. Did not work but gives you something to draw strength from.

Best thing to do if you confront a bear in the woods is just turn around and walk away, of course looking over your shoulder. Push come to shove raise your arms above your head and act crazy with your battle face on. By the way this is for Black Bears and not Brown bears who look at you as desert.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM

I was just quoting the magazine. I don't write books about bears.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM

WE went turkeying in RI this AM where hunting is allowed on Sunday and didn't get spit ...as usual. So we get home early and while we are undressing and crushing ticks the turkeys were gobbling on both sides of our house .... in Massachusetts where there is no Sunday hunting.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I just read in one of the big three that pepper spray puts bears on their knees better than a gun. Apparently they can't stand it. I've only met one bear in my life and it was big and I was ascared inspite of having a Model 77 bolt action 30:06 in my hands.

That reminds me of the old Alaska joke of "To protect yourself from bears, wear small bells on your boots so they hear you coming, and carry pepper spray. For recognizing grizzzly scat, see if it contains small bells and smells like pepper spray."
Old 05-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Just read the New York state bear kill is way up this past year. I also think Jersey is back to shooting them. Mass kills around 140 per season. I guess bear hunting is popular in Maine. Anybody know if bear are any good on the table? I hear conflicting opinions.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Bear I am told from game supper cooks can go either way depending on age of bear and what the bear was primarily feeding on. That is much like deer. An old bear they will pound it with hammers, run it over with trucks and marinate it and often comes cooked as stringy. A young bear they say is an easy cook and tasty. Deer is much like the same thing, corn fed builds good eating where acorns give a tart taste.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM

I whole-heartedly agree with what Rich said, eating the little ones versus large bears.

The main theme related to eating bear is to cook them well done. (Think pork.)

And sometimes, after eating bear, be sure your windows are open. (Think the bean episode in Blazing Saddles.)
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM

I've eaten 150 deer and never had a bad one except for one that did not get cleaned early enough and was heated. My largest deer, a 201 8 point I shot in the ash, was tender as a lamb. I had heard that before about bears that if they have been in the dump eating garbage they taste like garbage. I heard Alaska brown bears that have been eating salmon are