Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

They are lousey. Best ducks are those that live in fresh water.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM

That's too bad, there are enough of them around here, I remember hunters culling hundreds of Canada geese and bringing them to homeless shelters for Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Mad, a goose is not a duck. Canada geese are very good. You can breast them, slice them thin and fry them like shave steak. I nver ate a SW goose but the fresh water ones are the second best thing you'll ever eat.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
SS/Veteran

They taste like a cross between the dark meat of a chicken or turkey but slightly greasy and sweeter. I never was fond of birds you had to spit out the shot pellets while eating. Always gave me the feeling I just lost a filling.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM

I did a story for Shotgun Sports called "Chew Easch Mouthful" about getting an upper GI and they found five pellets in my appendix through an x-ray. Apparently the appendix grabs foreign objects in your digestive tract. The pellets were from eating pheasants we shot at a game farm, usually around 100 per year. The novel article was illustrated with my x-rays. It was a popular piece and got a lot of attention in gun clubs. The barium enema expelled the #6 pellets.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Here is a story for you on a related your words "barium enema" not that I am thinking about that, just because I have a colonoscopy appointment on Monday which is the first day of deer season. Talk about a conflict in emotions!
That said I was down at a neighbor's house sitting around a bom fire drinking the beers and (let me call him Pete) the subject of colonoscopy came up. This was a year or two before this event. Now Pete is an iron worker and a classic welder with tattoos up and down each arm of flames". One of those guys you would want on your side in a brawl. He said while the flames of the fire were licking the sky that he had a tattoo on his azz that was a classic one way sign as seen on the highways, hurt like hell as it healed and did I want to see it? I laughed and said "no way" getting ugly mental pictures in my head.
Months later I told the story to other people (not of the squid type) and ran into Pete again and said "Ok , let me see it, you candy azz". I can talk like that because I am old and a felony if I get popped. He laughed and said he was bluffing, we both laughed.
Who Raw!\
Question is on Monday, how can I work that info into or after the doctor says there will be little discomfort now?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM

I've had a couple of colonoscopies. One time I woke up during it and I didn't feel anything. I could see the screen and it looked like a pink desert with rolling hills. Then they cranked up the la-la and reknocked me out.
Hope you made out okay.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for your well wishes and everything worked out perfect. Of course the two days before the procedure where the hassle, pain is. You remember no food, the shotgun coctail and the seat belt attached to the toilet. If you do get a change to dose during the night you just dream about food. Of course the two best looking nurses where at the procedure looking at my brown eye and me looking at the monitor in and out of La La land.

Next trip is to the VA at Boston (Jamaca Plains) for a finger operation on the 8th. Traveling down that way is not a fun thing for me. Think I will borrow a friends GPS. Oh Well!

Deer season as you know started today. Few deer around hanging in trees and what a ugly day to hunt what with warm temps and the wind blowing from the West and then changing to, from the South.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 PM

There was a lot of shooting the first day, more than I have ever heard. Today not a single shot off in the distance. It is still too warm for them to move. People are also saying the rut is all screwed up or delayed or sumpin.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes it is T-shirt hunting weather but those deer whatever they are doing are getting taken. With the wind gusting back and forth reports are in that two in my immediate area were taken, one four point and one eleven point. My immediate area is about 7 square miles. Of the pool for the largest (a pool of 20 hunters for the largest weight), five have taken one, and to think hunting season is only two days old.

Also unusual to see primary rut going on during shotgun season in Ma.

There is also scramble to find refrigerator storage because of the high temps for aging the deer before processing.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Here is a tip for cleaning your muzzleloader that I learned from a shooter at the Pomfret (CT) rod and gun club:

Mix 1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen peroxide
1/3 Muphy's Oil soap

Swab your barrell with that until the patches come out clean.
Or buy Blackhorn 209 powder (loose) you can measure out by weight or volume. It gives you a clean burn with less fouling and the clean up is with Hoppe's No 9 or any oil based solvent. Expensive to buy but not hydroscopic and grain per grain and cent per shot it is good to the last drop and the way to let them fly.

The world of smoke poles in line tech is moving very fast.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
SS/Veteran

I used to hunt with a muzzle loader for years in New Hampshire. I had a Thompson Center .50 cal. I quit hunting in 2001 after loosing all but the periphial-sight in my right eye. I spent six months at the local range, shooting rifle and muzzle loader sitting, standing and walking and was doing very well shooting left-handed. That Fall I had a shot from a stand with the muzzle loader and missed clean. Later, during rifle season I missed a big deer up close using a deadfall to steady my aim. On the last day, I missed another deer, close again. I never hunted again after that, mainly because I never knew where those three easy shots went and there were a lot of folks in the woods where I hunted.

When I came south in 2006 I gave all my firearms to my son. He got a nice Tom Turkey week before Thanksgiving and a 180 lb. 8pt buck last Sunday - a really big deer for Florida.

Bill Hubbard
Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Modern muzzleloaders no longer stay with the spirit of replicas. I support that because society has put so many obstacles in front of hunting that I would call in an air strike if they allowed it. Joyce and I shoot in-lines with scopes, 209 primer ignitions. And yes, clean burning powders, Merlin, simply for the purpose of non-fouling.

Shotgunning has also been upgraded wht with rifleing, cantalever scope mounts delivering high powered rifle accuracy. The old bead sight with smooth bore shotguns is history.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis--your preaching to the choir or so that saying goes, meaning you have dropped into my world as a googan. Gee that sounds harsh~ but I am willing to go with it. The high tech guys that I am not a member of but associate with have bait piles for coyotes with driveway alarms and game cameras, varmint rifles with lights mounted above mounted in home windows ready to go so you can wake up turn on and shoot in your PJ's.

My old kit T/c hawken has been retired and ready to mount on the wall (belonged to Hatchet Jack) as I zoom into the 90's ( I am late) with an inline smoke pole now. Hunt shotgun with rifled barrel (Remington, Ithaca or Mossberg) why bother when all you need is one shot with the new inlines that group tight at 100 yards.

Sabot slugs for the shotgun you might have to take a loan not mentioning blister packed super no nonsense super duty black powder bullets with pellet powder able to shoot whatever they claim, easy convenient and sorry not cheap. Consumers want instant gratification and advertising works.

I could go on and on but there is a simple inexpensive way to getting the job done.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM

The tech in modern deer guns is not deep. Shotguns have been turned into rifles; muzzleloaders have had their curses removed. It doesn't take long to get up to speed. I still say that good shooting is the key to meat in the freezer. Where it gets controversial is whether a hunter feels right about shooting running deer. Other issues about what a killing shot is. The use of buckshot.

For me introduction of muzzleloading in our states has increased hunting time and for me that is what makes it important.