Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Francis: remember your heart condition: you can not afford those fantasies where your eyes glaze over and you are short of breath and we know your pee pee (at your age) barely keeps your shoes dry. Think about a donaion to PETA to bring you back on target or perhaps the Democratic party.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
When people think pheasants..at least I always did..I envision the birds in a rural environment with farms, woods, and cornfields. But there are areas that surprisingly hold pheasants. Kennedy airport in N.Y. has pheasants in the fields surrounding it.
I live in a town which is surrounded by densely populated suburbs for many miles. I was shocked one day driving to see a large rooster run in front of my car on the entrance ramp to the parkway.
Montauk, I'd seen one quite a few times where Ocean Pkwy does a 180 degree turn just before Jones Inlet.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The coast seems to have the better pheasant cover. I know around here the only native birds are in the salt marshes and Block Island. Both the adjacent RI and Mass Bristol Counties have native pheasants which is why they don't allow the shooting of hens.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Here in Western Massachusetts we are looking for turkeys that can walk on snow and do not sink in. Deer tracks are few and far between. Dealers are gearing up for ice fishing (not my cup of tea) and normal life has resumed somewhat, not that you all care.

Pheasants; are those the colorful chickens, clothed in their go to town outfits?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Everybody is complianing that there are too many turkeys, that they are all over the place. I've watched the restoration take place the last 25 years and it has been astonishing. They attribute it to habitat. We are seeing a lot of deer sign also. But some spots have none while others have a good number.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Bwana Frank: a couple of hunting questions from your experience. Can you tell whether it is a buck or doe from footprints in the snow or soft ground? Number two; Can you tell roughly the size of the buck from what size trees he rubs during the rut?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM

No to both questions. Not because I know but because I never cared. Gender or tree size would be a hard thing to prove. I know what people say, probably because they read it somewhere. But I am not much of a theorist about those things. For instance, I feel that what is important in hunting is having a good string of patches to hunt and shooting well.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 AM
SS/Veteran

I understand and agree with your opinion but in defense: Western Mass as opposed to Eastern Mass is less populated with deer. Of course Mass Wildlife will tell you (in my opinion) they are everywhere. That said: we few that want to hunt have to look under the covers (so to speak) to find a shoot able legal deer. Why these deer are few and far between I have only theories, perhaps so many doe permits in the past, perhaps the deep snow and hard winters, or perhaps coyotes taking fawns, I don't know. Perhaps the deer have moved to the suburbs for protection from perdators and found a happy place except for traffic again don't know.

Most of the hard core hunters have gone out of state for so called caned hunts or knowing a friend that inherited or bought a hunting cabin. For myself I did my homework in scouting areas and find myself searching for a track in soft ground or the snow we recently had. A tad early but a scrape would be a treat and a rub of course would be nice.

It is what it is I guess!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM

The area where I live is not city and there are plenty of woods. Our deer numbers are decent. It seems that the nearer to RI or CT, the more deer there are. Conditions here are not good for hunting and I think the rut is late. Scraping just started the last couple of days. The woods need more time. RI deer kill so far is way down.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
SS/Veteran

I am interested on what are your deer hunting adventures so far this year?. Also what is your opinion of fisher cats?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Fisher cats are up and coming and we see them in numbers every season. My wife, Joyce had one 10 feet away yesterday sunset and it bolted off when she stamped her foot. They don't like people and they apparently don't see hunter orange.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

So your opinion of them is? Here they have along with coyotes invaded the area, no squirrels, no rabbits, no game birds of any type. The state thinks that they control the porcupine population but I have not seen a porcupine in many years. Game or trail camera out back only catches raccoons, coyotes and fisher cats but on the cheerie side a 6 or 8 pointer was spotted within a 1/2 mile of here. Keep in mind I live where trees out number blades of grass.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM

I really don't have an opinion on fisher. I dislike speculating about things which either need further understanding or study. I know in a discussion similar to this one a couple of years ago we had a guy from Maine who said fisher would kill me or my wife or both. Freaking things are the size of house cats and they run away very fast is all I know with about 25 encounters.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Well I would say perhaps twice as big as a house cat with needle sharp teeth that would leave your dentist in envy. The photo shows one and to give you comparsion of size, the tree behind over his butt is a yellow birch that maybe one of us her can hook their fingers together. The tree at most is perhaps six feet behind him.

These critters are not nice ones to have around. Let me see if I can post with the time stamp attached.

Nope, and to much trouble to resize so you can wait until they come to your neighborhood and get back to me.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Nobody says anything nice about fisher. I believe they are nasty. And I am not trying to be absolute but the ones we've seen scram and want no part of us. As a one time trapper growing up I learned that dark fur drew a better price and I lust over the fisher's dark coloration from a marketing viewpoint. I'm no fisher expert, though I'll bet I have seen more of them than most sportsmen.

Rich, e-mail me the picture full size and I'll cut and fit it to here.