Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Grip Studs: Surf Fishing Studs

StriperSurf users,

Many of you may already be aware of our company and products, but as the spring season heats up we wanted to let you know about something new we're doing this season! Striper fishermen have been using our screw-in studs in their boots for quite a while now with great results, and after requests from many of those customers we're now offering surf fishing boot kits in our most popular rock hopping models! Our durable traction studs feature a unique wide-auger shank to prevent bending or folding over in the sole like other narrow-threaded studs do. Grip Studs? are compatible with rubber or felt sold boots, and they feature a tough, solid tungsten carbide core-to-tip shaft and a rust-resistant finish, making them the perfect stud for surf casters!

For pricing and more info, check out the following link: http://goo.gl/g4uSF What do you think of our studs? We want to hear your thoughts, reviews, and questions, so feel free to comment below or contact us directly and we'll respond to you as soon as possible!

~Stay safe on the rocks this season!~

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 03-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Grip Studs: Surf Fishing Studs

looks like a great product!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Anyone try these out yet? Looking for reviews. I have a new pair of wading boots and these would eliminate the need for my korkers. Thx. 33hemi!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Hey 33hemi,

We've asked several surf fishing publications and blogs/websites to review the studs this season, so those are in the works for publication later this spring. For now, take a look at this thread http://goo.gl/ieYmO. There are several pics in the thread as well as a few comments from guys who have been using our studs for a while, and the feedback is very positive! Of course, you can always give us a call at 541-476-1928 or shoot an email to info@gripstuds.com and we'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Just ordered a set of the 1800s.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks 33! We'll get your order out the door today. Don't hesitate to contact us directly if you have any questions regarding installation, or if any other issues come up that we could be of help with.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM

Thanks, we'll do! Do you recommend felt soles or rubber? From what im reading most are going with felt.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM

We really don't recommend one over the other since both work well and the level of stud retention seems to be about the same. However, as you say felt certainly seems to be the most popular for studding. The studs can be screwed directly into rubber soles, but if you decide to go with felt it's a good idea to drill a small pilot hole (1/8" or so) for each stud in order to keep the threads from pulling/tearing and "stripping out" the felt.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM

My review: Fished a long flat jetty yesterday morning for a few hours. Installed the studs into my felt bottom boots (tried my rubber bottom boots first but they were sinking in too much for my liking. ). I really liked the way they gripped on dry, wet and slime covered rocks. So much better than wearing the korks. My only issues I had were with 2 studs pushing into the soles, 1 on each boot in different locations. They actually sunk flush with the felt. I dont know if I initially screwed them in too far and backed them out and therefore created a void or there were just soft spots in the rubber under the felt. I also had a stud try to roll over. Again, maybe my fault in that I screwed it in a little krooked. Once I got home I relocated the studs in question. Next trip out on them Ill reportt back. 33 hemi! Cant wait to try them out in bubbleweed next month!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Hey Hemi,

Thanks for the feedback! It's good to hear you like the studs. What model of boots are you using? It sounds like they could be fairly soft soles. If you have any others that get shoved into the sole, you might try dipping the auger into some Loctite or Gorilla Glue before reinstalling. That won't keep the studs from folding over, but it should go a long way in keeping them from sinking into the sole. That would be great if you have a chance to post an update after putting some more hours on the studs.

Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33hemi View Post
My review: Fished a long flat jetty yesterday morning for a few hours. Installed the studs into my felt bottom boots (tried my rubber bottom boots first but they were sinking in too much for my liking. ). I really liked the way they gripped on dry, wet and slime covered rocks. So much better than wearing the korks. My only issues I had were with 2 studs pushing into the soles, 1 on each boot in different locations. They actually sunk flush with the felt. I dont know if I initially screwed them in too far and backed them out and therefore created a void or there were just soft spots in the rubber under the felt. I also had a stud try to roll over. Again, maybe my fault in that I screwed it in a little krooked. Once I got home I relocated the studs in question. Next trip out on them Ill reportt back. 33 hemi! Cant wait to try them out in bubbleweed next month!
Please check you PM's
Thanks.
JD
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Well, I finally put the studs to the test. Fished boulder fields for 5 straight days and nights up north. Put about 50 hrs on them over the 5 days and I wasn't disappointed. I checked the soles after each outing expecting to see a roll over or two, but I really didn't. They worked out great. I may add a few more studs here and there but that's about it. Another fisherman in the group had similar results. The only difference being is that I had felt soles and he had rubber. Yet another in the group will be purchasing them in short order after seeing how the studs responded all week. Thank you. Good bye Korkers! 33hemi!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

outstanding report, hemi!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33hemi View Post
The only difference being is that I had felt soles and he had rubber. Yet another in the group will be purchasing them in short order after seeing how the studs responded all week. Thank you. Good bye Korkers! 33hemi!
Hey guys.
I wanna make the change away from Korkers to grip-studs for two reasons. 1st, korkers are big, heavy and clumsy.... not good for places you need to be agile and light on your fet. 2nd, it's a hassle to put them on & off the wadding boots and one more piece of equipment to pack, transport and unpack.
Here's my question. Most of the rocks I fish have some slime or weeds on them but not thick. 3/4 of the rocks I climb are dry & many are flat, shiny and tilted at precarious angles. I know that felt soles helps on wet slimy rocks but is slippery when dry on dry rocks, especially this smooth tilted ones. This is where I see 2/3 of the falls/injuries. Would you guys recommend rubber soles over felt for that purpose? I'm thinking, depending on how high and numerous the studs are, it may only be the studs that contact the rock. Actually rubber may be better on those rocks than studs but on the wet ones and when the surf is up, only studs will help.
What's your advice for configuration of sloes/studs?
Thanks!
JD
Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 AM

IMO, rubber soles work well on dry rocks. But any stud will be slippery when the rocks are dry. They neeed to be wet like you said. The problem in Jersey is walking out on a jetty with dry rocks for most of the way. You dont get your traction until you reach the tips. But if I was walking on the "ground" on wet rocks without the possibility of "falling into the water" I would opt for just the rubber soles, much more comfortable. If fishing bubbleweed and mung, the studs will be on. Hope this makes sense. 33hemi! With korkers, they are heavy and bulky, especially when swimming to a rock. One thing I will add about the felt sole. They do soak up and hold water and become much heavier then when they were dry.