Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Talking Going Deer hunting next week in Nebraska!

This time it's for sure. I'll report and maybe post some pics on the MONSTER BUCK I bag.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Going Deer hunting next week in Nebraska!

If you see one with a jack-o-lantern on its head, them is the easy ones.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I'll be hunting on an indian reservation so there won't be as much pressure as other places. We go down to a river bottom area. My plan is to sit in front of a tree near a pond that I see about a thousand fresh tracks at about an hour before dusk.
I'll get something but it might not be a huge buck. Might get a doe to start things off and get the buck later.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM

Get what you can because each time you sit down to eat venison you celebrate the hunt. And I like parties. Sometimes I choose dinner for the wine I'm thinking about. I can't find a good wine for fish so I just have a beer.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Hee hee...I went back and the first thing I saw was a small buck lying on my nephews driveway. He shot it the day before and was getting ready to hang it up in his garage. The thing stank like heck! He said he gut shot it and made it smell like that. It was lying there with blood all over and I almost stepped on it. My nephew got in my car and got some of that blood on the carpet. It stank the car up the next morning when I turned the heater on. That kind of turned me off of hunting for awhile.
The next day I went to the Missouri River and there were 2 deer hides and one carcass laying there. The next day I came upon 2 hunters from Arkansas who had 2 deer hanging from a tree and were butchering them. They said they were the ones who put the other deer hides there. They were putting the meat into big coolers in thier truck. They didn't say why they left the one carcass.
They said there were too many hunters on the reservation so I didn't bother going over there to hunt.

I'm going to go there next year on opening day of bow hunting season. I'll have my nephew do some scouting for me. I heard several deer sneaking around behind me at dusk on the riverbank and also saw a lot of fresh tracks.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:36 PM

Nothing smells worse than rotting deer. With these temps I skin them the same day and put the quarters and straps into a cooler full of Zamboni ice.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault
Nothing smells worse than rotting deer. With these temps I skin them the same day and put the quarters and straps into a cooler full of Zamboni ice.
OMG! way back, when my bf was a younger lad, he too would go to the local ice rink and use all the zamboni ice for cooling game, or just cooling beer... he said it was the best available free source of shaved ice anywhere. Nowadays, we're hard pressed to find ice rinks around here... but his sporting club has a cool box we can use until we get a chance to butcher it.

thats so neat, I thought he was the only one.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
SS/Veteran

My nephews don't seem to have the patience to sit and wait out the deer in a stand etc. They want to drive around and get close to the deer first.
They talk about 2 or 3 hundred yard shots with a high powered rifle thru a scope.

I'm used to sitting quietly at dusk/daybreak and watching the deer come out within 50 yards.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM

When I was a commercial and in my 30s I used to money fish before work, stow the fish in the Zamboni ice and sell them to RI Fish after work. I made a lot of money selling bass taken during the week while working. Key was having the ice. When we fished the Jamestown Bridge all the guys used that ice and we even took turns taking the fish in so that there was less time consumed. We joked about finding chewing gum and teeth in the ice, sometimes blood from those nice, gentle boys playing hockey. Oh, to be young again and knock myself out nights for a buck.

Big, we shoot them at close in and over 100 yards. I recently took one at 8/10 yards running. Our black powders, in-lines, will bench rest at 100 yards a group the size of a coin.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank: Do you also hunt with a bow?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:58 PM

No, I guess I should have learned but we lose much of the fall migration of stripers as it is. Also, it woud kill me to spend so much time in a tree becasue I love the ground. Keep in mind that with our protocols for three states we are hunting firearms for 9 1/2 weeks including Sundays. And, both my wife and I have a lot of firearms in our background. We love guns and their effective use. Our son bow hunts and recently started hunting with a recurve; but he has different needs and sparks to a different fireing order if you know what I mean. He is into natural/homeopathic/back-to-basics/ wave a crow's foot over it techno. For him Heaven is a hand crafted black widow blessed by Sacajawea. Also, he is just a kid -- 49.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM

frank, what kind of black powder rifles do you use. i use a 54 cal T/C hawken cap lock with the standard patched round ball. i do competitions with just caplocks and flintlocks allowed.a inline maybe able to shoot farther but in MA you dont have many crop fields but more just thick scrub pine forests where you wont need that extra range.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault
Our black powders, in-lines, will bench rest at 100 yards a group the size of a coin.
inline! ick! thats cheating!
frank, I figured you at least for a side hammer man....
Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM

We did all that with open sights but when you are a meat hunter you call in an air strike and do whatever it takes to hang um in the shed. Though agaisnt my religion, I did let a skipper go and plan on letting some others go. We still have side locks but they are gathering dust. We are scewing up big time lately.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I just bought a used Bear "Black Bear" bow set for cheap. I haven't studied the recent bow models. Is this an adequate bow for hunting deer? It has a 28 inch draw length and 50 lb. draw weight.
I was going to get into bow hunting before i got out active duty Army in the mid 80s but never did. Now I think I'll try it out next Fall.