Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Anybody want to talk about deer and deer hunting? Why, dangers, issues, anything.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Why does it seem that most game birds and animals have relocated to suburban areas and forsaken the wilds of the country? They seem to have relocated in pockets of wooded areas close to houses along with coyotes that seem to follow.
I live on ten acres of wooded and open fields in a town with less then 900 voters located in the foot hills of the Berkshires (W. Ma) and a deer or turkey sighting is rare. You can take a walk after a fresh snow and in an afternoon of walking through the woods never cut a track.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

They have not relocated to suburban areas as much as much as you think. What you are seeing is the result of many miles of habitat exposure from the window of your vehicle. Joyce and I walk one mile in and one mile out exhausted and see nothing. A driver, on the other hand, drives 20 times that and sees game from something that has never posed a threat to wildlife -- a motor vehicle. Both deer and turkeys have no concerns over vehicles or homes, neither of which has ever attacked them. Open your door and walk over to one and see what he does or says or holds out a paw or claw.....I'll wait.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Smile Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Why does it seem that most game birds and animals have relocated to suburban areas and forsaken the wilds of the country? They seem to have relocated in pockets of wooded areas close to houses along with coyotes that seem to follow.
I live on ten acres of wooded and open fields in a town with less then 900 voters located in the foot hills of the Berkshires (W. Ma) and a deer or turkey sighting is rare. You can take a walk after a fresh snow and in an afternoon of walking through the woods never cut a track.
They feel safer with the restrictive hunting regulations and land posted by the SOB anti-hunter/gun zealots.

BTW, we still have plenty of deer here in W. Mass
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2007, 08:13 AM

The resurgence of deer nationally is due to the evolving habitat, especially in the east. Taking close to 100 years to recover since Colonial defoliation, we now have old forest woodlands as opposed to the low bush scrubby stuff that was so perfect for small game. With nearly all fish and game, continuation is a case of suitable habitat. The woods are now better for deer than they have been for a long time. Combine tht with the drop in subsistance hunting, practically no poaching like when I was a kid, and the deer do well -- too well in some cases.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank: Have you ever done any rattling and if so did if prove succesful or what were the results?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

No, rattling is like trying another woman. I think about it and plan it but I never get around to it. What I have done a lot of is calling which really brings in deer or stops them when they are running through the woods. During the rut deer get very crazy and run through the woods aimlessly. If I have time to use a grunt tube, I do and have stopped them with it long enought to pop them. But the mouth is faster and I just do a gutteral "gruimmmmp" and they put the brakes on. I know I didn't really answer your question and maybe I'll try rattling this year if my wife stops shooting them long enough for me to put the knife down. BTW, they have started to scrape.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Frank: What is you gun of choice and also what gun does your bride use? Have you updated to a rifled slug barrel?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

I'm lucky enough to live in western NY where the striper fishing is a little tough, but the deer hunting is superb. I actually moved here for that reason and haven't been disappointed.

I'll typically deer hunt about 60 days in a season and that usually keeps the freezer stocked.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 AM

I don't think the average person, who does not hunt, realizes how difficult it is to deer hunt. They typically see deer from their windows or vehicles and fail to undertand what the big deal is. Sure, as with striper fishing, Joe Guggan can get lucky and bag a whopper. But long term the demands of getting a shot at something good and pulling it off with a degree of regularity is not going to happen by itself. Thus, the wise hunter seeks every advantage because he knows he needs it. And moving to western NY is but one more example of doing that. Meantime, an evolution of improving opportunity holds the door open for more of us. The worst thing for me as a deer hunter is to have a full freezer. When full, I begin to lose interest and the fire goes out. No matter who you are, venison is very good.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM

I agree about the average person's lack of understanding for the difficulty of deer hunting, but I would expand that to include the average hunter. The more I hunt the more I realize that most of the other guys are putting forth a minimal effort at best. Some guys fish at 3am in the rain, others don't venture much past mid-day on flat calm surf. Either way they get out what they put in.

I get such enjoyment from stopping by the local dinners during the shotgun season and listen to the other hunters complaining about how there aren't any deer. My friends and I just nod in recognition, satisfied with our meal and the knowledge that there is a little blood under our fingernails from a successful morning hunt.

BTW, I arrowed an 8pt on Saturday evening. May the peace of the wilderness be with him.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Congratulations on that. With these temperatures, it is imperative to get them skun out and into a box full of ice. I can't sleep, can't relax, when I got a deer hanging without ice.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 PM

I recall many years ago one of the Provincetown draggers came in with a deer hanging from the rigging. They found him swimming some distance offshore, and since it was deer season they grabbed him, tagged him and brought him home.

And Montauk fishermen have told me of panic stricken deer charging into the surf between guys casting.

CL
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Ever hit a deer solid at the end of the day (legal) time and watch him sail away. You give him the time to lay down and die but now it is darker then a witches heart. You go back and place gun in truck and return for your search and in my case I found him but it was lucky.
Now I have heard if you buy a florescent bulb type lantern the blood trail or blood on the ground shows up up somewhat glowing. Have you ever heard of this for I have yet to try it just in case I have the opportunity.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Deer swim very well, Cappy. I guess it is because they float naturally so they just run and it propels them along slowly. I imagine the dragger one was just an opportunity for the crew and they just bopped it on the head.

I wouldn't put my gun in the truck even if it was after legal shooting. Suppose you find it and it isn't dead? A lot of deer are bagged the last minutes. One time in the checking station line, a guy had a RI buck that weighed 257 (10 pt) and he told us that he shot it the night before and went back the next day to look.

They sell a spray tht makes the blood glow and is easier to follow a blood trail with. But it is just one more thing to carry. Rattlers, grunt tubes, rubber gloves, extra shells, lunch, camara, GPS, cell, water bottle. You sit down on a stump and you can't get up. My wife, who carries every turkey call ever made, goes through the woods -- "cluck-ka-cluck/chuck a chuck" -- with every step