Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:25 AM

I've always fished plugs using a mono leader tied directly to my line, often with a pair of uni knots .
Does anyone prefer to use a swivel for the leader-to-line connection, and if so, what kind of swivel, and why?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll piss away the kids' tuition fund on fancy equipment he doesn't need, stay out late at night, come home smelling like a dead mackerel, and start hanging around with some really questionable characters."
-- the Ex
Old 02-04-2004, 11:25 AM

I've always fished plugs using a mono leader tied directly to my line, often with a pair of uni knots .
Does anyone prefer to use a swivel for the leader-to-line connection, and if so, what kind of swivel, and why?

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll piss away the kids' tuition fund on fancy equipment he doesn't need, stay out late at night, come home smelling like a dead mackerel, and start hanging around with some really questionable characters."
-- the Ex
Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Administrator

dave, since I only use a snap to attach my plug to my leader, I use a small swivel to attach the line to the leader. I use arouind a 48" leader. I guess I use the swivel to make leader changing alittle easier, even tho the uni-to-uni is not hard. I also like to have a swivel due to line twist. And some people use a snap swivel to attach their plug. Big No No. JOe

joe@stripersurf.com
Its 4 hours for me to drive to fish the surf. I do it often. It will always be worth it.!!
NJBBA #4051
Old 02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Ok, stupid question here. Why is using a snap swivel a "Big No No" and how is it different than just using the snap? Seriously, I am curious.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Well from what I understand and BELIVE, just using a snap does not take away from the action of the plug, the way its meant to swim or the way the manufacture thinks it should swim. I also believe, and when I used to use a snap/swivel my plug used to foul with the leader(hooks over the line) and make it just a piece of junk being reeled in. When just using a snap, this has stopped. I'm sure someone else can add to this also..JMO, JOe

joe@stripersurf.com
Its 4 hours for me to drive to fish the surf. I do it often. It will always be worth it.!!
NJBBA #4051
Old 02-04-2004, 12:23 PM
spence

I use a swivel as it makes the connection between braid and mono easier to tie.

Benny, lures get their action from the resistance of being dragged through the water. A swivel will allow the lure to rotate which will divert energy that should be going into the desired action -vs- unwanted rotation.

A swivel at the end of a leader doesn't have much impact as the friction from the water on the length of leader provides enough resistance.

or at least that's my explination...

-spence
Old 02-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Yeah, yeah, thats what I meant. , JOe

joe@stripersurf.com
NJBBA #4051
Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. I usually tie lures straight onto the leader except for some metals which is time consuming. I will have to try using just a clip when I switch to plugs in the Summer. What do you guys do with the split rings? leave them on or remove them? Sorry for being a PITA, this thread sparked curiosity.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Good question, Makes me think, I believe when the plug comes with a split ring I leave them on. To be honest, most of my fish come from bait. Altho I'm not fishless on plugs, I'm willing to take any info on this subject too. JOe

joe@stripersurf.com
NJBBA #4051
Old 02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
spence

quote:
Originally posted by bennyb:
What do you guys do with the split rings? leave them on or remove them? Sorry for being a PITA, this thread sparked curiosity.

I leave them on, others remove them and tie direct...it's all personal preference. I doubt you would notice much difference.

-spence
Old 02-04-2004, 05:48 PM
SS/Veteran

I use a larger spro or sampo barrels. its easier to tie them. they still are not really that big. then I use a #4 rosco duolock snap. they are rated at 50# which is fine since I use 20#PP on most occasions and 30-40# leaders. 50 sometimes if I cant catch anything but gators.

I change plugs a lot so I use a snap. I personally dont think someone who ties directly (via any knot) gets much better action. if a fish is going to ignore three big a$$ shiny treble hooks, do you think they are going to care about some small black snap?

Fish On!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. A lot of different approaches. I'm staying with a knot for the braid-to-leader connnection, but I'll experiment with a snap for the lure. I don't change leaders often during a single trip unless I'm fishing rocky areas, but I continually try different lures.

-- the Ex
Old 02-04-2004, 11:26 PM
SS/Veteran

thats another thing to note Dave. If you are fishing at night and the leader happens to get frayed, how do you re-tie without significant downtime? for the "braid to mono" and "braid to barrel" dilemma I offer these situations:

a) you can use a uni-uni or albright knot to tie the braid to mono. to me this is pretty tough in the dark...a perfect uni or albright is even tougher (these are the two I use when tying braid to mono). I dont like lights because it takes your eyes a while to adjust after you use a light to tie in the dark. It probably longer than you think for the eyes to completely adjust to the darkness. I personally cant tie them in the dark without light.

b) you use a barrel and tie a simple knot like a clinch to the barrel and you are back in action faster without light.

thats my theory. I dont want to much downtime and try to limit light when possible.

anyone agree?

Fish On!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:44 PM

Bring a light

I use a swivel just cuz it's a bit easier to tie to and it's necesarry for many tins.

Lookin for my big'un!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:08 AM

Does anyone using braid tie direct to the plug without using a mono leader? Will the fish be able to "see" the braid easily?