Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > OBX and the Carolinas

OBX and the Carolinas The Outer Banks and all places North and South

Old 02-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Still Casting......

I am remiss in not reaching out in a long time. Our NCBBA Red Drum Tournament has grown 25% + in the last two years with a few format changes. One of the changes was to add a team division last year. Our team format differs from other team tournaments in that there are no designated stations and the members of a team are eligible for the individual category prizes as well as the team prize. Your team can fish together or separately.
On a personal note I celebrated my 70th birthday with a series of calamities including breaking my leg on the first day of our tournament. It was only a broken fibula and a bad sprained ankle but I may have created some complications by not being able to address it for five days. It didn't hurt enough to make me leave the island and 361 guest anglers until after the tourney. I was proud to receive the "worst patient ever" award from the orthopedic doctor.
There was a great and early bite of large red drum last spring/late winter and a steady and very productive fall and early winter for speckled trout. I fully retired at the end of last year so am looking forward to more fishing and more efforts on behalf of NCBBA.
I would enjoy seeing more of my friends from up north on our NC beaches. My pickup will no longer turn north so y'all need to come south.......you'll like it, the waters great!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 02-14-2020, 07:55 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Still Casting......

Al,

Hope those complications aren’t too complicated, so that you can enjoy your retirement.

I’m not into tourneys but one of these years, after my retirement, I do look forward to exploring south on the edges of our season up nawth.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: Still Casting......

Our tournament is a little different from most in that it is wide open beaches, no stations, and 60 hours non-stop should you wish. I used to love fishing it prior to becoming a BOD member and helping to host it. That being said I very much enjoy visiting with our anglers and seeing them enjoy themselves....it is a rewarding experience.

I'm healing but just have to learn to pace myself. It didn't phase me turning 50 or 60 but this 70 thing is a new deal, particularly since at times mentally I can still be 18. I have high hopes as I now have several friends who have remained active into their 80s and I can't help but remember when considering youthful antics I'm lucky to be alive.

When you decide to make the NC run please reach out. I'm only 100 road miles from the Outer Banks and would enjoy giving you the tour. I'll even provide bait and advise for free.....or you could bring a case of IPAs as a gesture!

Cheers

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"