Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:15 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Striper Talk -- best baits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
The "what-ever reasin' is the part of bait fishing that we will never know the answer about. Craziness happens with all fishing, be it plug or bait.
and years ago, when we could net river herring, fishing with cut (or live) herring rang the dinner bell... like a "no doubt about it" dinner bell. When those herring come in, the big stripers are in our area, every year, wherever the herring are.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Protection for the herring seems to be working. In our region, since the closures herring runs have begun to increase. Those years when there was so much abuse the spawning runs were hammered by both sport fishermen and lobstermen for lobster pot baiting.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 AM

I hope so, not sure how it's doing down here, but would love to be able to use them as bait again in my lifetime.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob, get used to the idea of decline in most of the things we once enjoyed. Your challenge, as is that of our readers, is to adjust to the environmental changes which manifest themselves. Today it is bottom fish like scup and sea-bass. stripers are a defunct so overmanaged gamefish. fish for sea-robins or scup.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Seems like the right heading to post this question on. I usually fish the West Wall, Point Judith which is 2 1/2 hours from my house driving time. That said with only a one fish limit it is hardly worth the trouble. But the jetty is loaded with crab. Can I buy a crab trap and set trap and fish for my stripper and harvest a bunch of eatable crab on the way out? I do not know whether those crabs are eating type crabs or just junk.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:33 PM
SS/Veteran

I never set crab pots and really don't know the regs for their use. Suspect, but don't really know, that non-resident pot license is prohibitively expensive.

I think striper fishing regs are making it prohibitive. I'll add to that one fish that the slot limit prevents it from being a big striper.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:28 AM

Question is what crabs are available there? Jonah crabs are good eating, as are blue. Various other rock crabs are good bait but not generally for eating. Rec crab licenses are usually reasonable.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:41 AM
SS/Veteran

Rock crabs are seasonally available. But the ones from Alaska are very expensive. These days you can't even go clamming without a permit and many towns won't issue a permit/license for non-residents.

There is a RI website that lists violators and their offense and fines and you would not believe how often people are arrested for piddly violations which they didn't even know were on the books. Scup that have to be 10 1/2 inches. Shell fishing after dark. For a while I think Virginia had a law against fishing after midnight. Every state I know allows hunting a half hour after sunset; but Connecticut shuts down at sunset, a half hour earlier than the others.

I think that Merlin would not be allowed to service his crab pots after dark which is a time he is likely to try to do so while at his West Wall location.

In this small regional location the adjoining states present some challenging issues regarding jurisdiction. Commonly we are in the woods hunting without knowing where the state line is which passes through the area. You end up hunting in a closed state or hunting with a wrong license.