Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Striper Books Talk (Again)

This is kind of old and shopworn but we need the action. Discuss the striper books that you have liked and otherwise, maybe some of the newer titles.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Striper Books Talk (Again)

I just finished "On the Run". A good book, about a fisherman who follows the fall migration from Maine to the Carolinas and his adventures and characters he meets on his journey. I really liked the part in Montauk when he goes "skishing" at night....
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
This is kind of old and shopworn but we need the action. Discuss the striper books that you have liked and otherwise, maybe some of the newer titles.
I think I will really enjoy the COMPLIMENTARY new Striper Hot Spots book Frank is going to send me for being such a loyal fan and contributing to his threads on a daily basis.

PS: Make it the Mid-Atlantic edition :h ihi:
Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyankee View Post
I just finished "On the Run". A good book, about a fisherman who follows the fall migration from Maine to the Carolinas and his adventures and characters he meets on his journey. I really liked the part in Montauk when he goes "skishing" at night....
I enjoyed "On the Run" also. But I remember some on this forum didn't dig it..
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

I read a biography of Louisa May Alcott recently - it was excellent. She made the equivalent of millions of dollars on her books during her lifetime. She wrote a lot of pulp fiction in addition to the children series. Once she became wealthy, she would hole up in a primo hotel in Boston and smoke hash and take laudanum and write for weeks on end.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

I'm not in the same place as Frank - not by long-shot - so engaging in a pointed public critique for free, of the work of significant players in the fishing press, is not advisable for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Reading striper books reminds me of what W.C. Fields once said (I'm paraphrasing): Swearing off drinking isn't hard; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times. Striper books are like this for me: after a particularly disappointing one, I always say I'm done with all of them, but when a new one comes out, I buy it and read it, because I can't stop myself.

My problem with many of the fishing books -- and I should mention that I'm talking about books other than the Mister Smarty books -- is that too many of them seem, to me, to be written by guys who want to write books, who want to be authors, rather than by guys who write because they have something to say. This is a crucial difference: given the choice between a book written by an unknown writer who jas a burning need to express something, or a book written by an author with a graduate degree in comparative European literature from Yale, I'm taking the forrmer every time. Some of the best books I've ever read were written by people who could barely spell, but had a burning need to say something (Charles Bukowski, in typical earthly fashion, compared this need to having to take a dump after a night of heavy beer drinking).

Just recently, in fact, I read an entertaining little book called 30 Days on the Beach: Brigantine, written by a guy named Bob Wagner. On one hand, it's a rote recounting of each of the thirty days this guy spent fishing a beach in Jersey. But I liked it anyway, because the writer was honest, didn't try to do anyhing he wasn't capable of, and the end result was utterly without fakery. This, for me at least, made the author's effort endearing. Bob Wagner seems like a good guy, and he made his book a lot better by not trying to be William Faulkner or Ralph "Waldo" Emerson. I wish more fishing writers were as honest with themselves as this guy was.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Nobody in real life thinks as much as you do.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
I think I will really enjoy the COMPLIMENTARY new Striper Hot Spots book Frank is going to send me for being such a loyal fan and contributing to his threads on a daily basis.

PS: Make it the Mid-Atlantic edition :h ihi:
That's a crock, Kroc!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM

During summer there are a lot of old book sales in Maine where you can pick up an old collectible for a buck. One of our daughters gave me a copy of an anthology that came out in 1962. Eighteen of the top outdoor writers of the time -- Bates, Ovington, Pinkowski, Lyman, Moss to name only some. I read some of them and they hardly ring the bell. Lots of rehash which the editor promised they would not do. It seems that anthologies have been popular over time.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Chris nailed it.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
S/S INSIDAH

stripers and streamers. By Ray B. nuff said
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Capt. Jim White's Monster striper book. Local boat guy shares more than just the obvious stuff. Really enjoyed it. Also The Fisherman's Ocean by Dr Boyd.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Here's another aspect to this conversation: am I the only one who finds the least interesting material in fishing books to be the parts that chronicle the actual fishing? When I read a chapter about how a guy goes to fish rigged eels, and the text is so detailed that the guy describes what kind of swivel he uses, how he closes it, and how he ties it to his leader, my eyes glaze over. I find writing that's just about the fishing to be excruciatingly boring. So I swung my custom 9-foot Lamiglas 1083 rod, mounted with a Penn 4400 spinning reel, and felt the rigged eel tighten against the current. I was hoping that my 40-pound fluorocarbon leader would withstand the rocks on the bottom, and then I felt a strong take, so I sent the expertly-honed hook home, into the fish's jaw. So you caught a freaking fish. Big deal. Nobody finds this as interesting as you do.

Fishing, like so many activities, can be a great plaform for telling stories (this is one of the reasons why I particularly love the racetrack. There are so many stories floating around the track). I think this is why Eastern Tides is my favorite of the Frankenbooks: it's a story about a family, really, with fishing as just a backdrop. Where fishing books fail, I think, is when the writers don't realize that a book needs a narrative, needs stories. Any book that's just about fishing is boring.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM

Fishing books need a fresh angle. You have to look at what is out there and do something that has never been done before. Also, editors have a list of dislikes that they will not publish. I know that memoirs are very unpopular with publishers.