Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Book Talk: Striper Surf

This, my second book, came out in hardcover in 1992. My wife, Joyce, says that it is my signature title and is far and away my most popular. Currently the last of its eleventh printing is being sold. We say it that way because the publisher, Globe-Pequot Press -- will probably not be offering it any more. The title has carried itself well but drastic changes are taking place in the book business what with book stores closing down all over the country, and an economy reeling from the 2008 business debacle. E-readers, which have damaged book store profits, may have helped to fuel enough changes to scare the pants off a lot of publishers who also are throwing in their cards. Lets talk more about Striper Surf.

No title that I know of at the time of its release had ever been published which was confined to stripers from shore had ever been done. Sure, there may have been some auto-biographical books, perhaps a close slant and I might be wrong about this, but it was my experience at the time, early 1990s, that publishers were in the habit of trying to broaden book themes to satisfy as many facets of fishing in general as they could. They wanted a striper book that encompassed every aspect of the fishery -- boat trolling, fresh water stripers, maybe some small acknowlegement of surf fishing and they always sought the inclusion of ancillary species like bluefish or bonito or some other left field tunoid. ( I even know of a title that utilized the inclusion of Inshore so that it would cover the beach, close to the beach and way off the beach for everything in earshot.) As soon as the author, in this case me, campaigned for the narrowing of content -- striper fishing from shore -- which nobody had done, it was not a worthy content for publication. I had to kick and scream with my editor, Mace Lewis, to confine subject matter to the striper surf. Thankfully, I was able to put it over. Tomorrow, or certainly soon, we can talk about why the title worked out so well with the mission of prying a few of yuz hard earned folding green from your direction to mine.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Striper Surf

I'm glad you didn't "sell out" and got the book out to the public in the way you meant it to be.

Reminds me of an interesting thing about musicians..in that I have heard more than one say that they started out writing songs and after the big wig labels got through with altering the material it was far different than the original. Big money, sold out stadiums accross the globe, fame, they had it all..I was taken aback when more than one band said they didn't like some of the songs that made them famous
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 PM

Kindle bass stuff

RE: E-readers I have noticed this trend of authors placing short pieces on Amazon for a few bucks. It seems to work out to $1.00 per 10 pages in an example I checked.

The times are changing and the e-world is making it hard to predict where things will stabilize.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Where do I send my money order for this fine frankenbook?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Kindle bass stuff

RE: E-readers I have noticed this trend of authors placing short pieces on Amazon for a few bucks. It seems to work out to $1.00 per 10 pages in an example I checked.

The times are changing and the e-world is making it hard to predict where things will stabilize.
The instability to which you refer, Walter, has publishers crazy. They are laying off staff and breaking contracts left and right. They gave me an advance to revise Striper Surf and after I did they refused to reprint in the badly needed revised form and did not make good contractually on the delivery of the revisions. Editors are being let go and the whole publishing business is in disarray. I think I was around for the best of it and my age considered, I say screw um.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 PM
SS/Veteran

"Striper Surf" cover to cover in two night's time when it first arrived. Still refer to it from time to time.

I still purchase and read the local paper every day; could view it on-line for free but it's just not the same.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks, Don, I can tell you enjoyed it. Keep in mind that its first release was in hardcover form, something that only two of my seven books enjoyed. Also, read it again. You may also spot places where revisions would have taken place had thepublisher not been blown out by the flagging book business.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

All this talk about Frankenbooks brings back memories.
When I got back into fishing after a long lay off, this was the first website I came across, and have stuck with it since. I ordered the complete set (think it was 5 back then), even came with a certificate that you made up to tell the proud owners of their accomplishment of finishing all the books... Being a lazy batchelor back then, I kept all my books laying around the office, whatever the title or subject. Bob D'Amico came by one day, and we were talking and he looked to the pile of books and said "You have the bible there". Looking, there was a bible sitting there, in a wooden box that was given to me when my mother passed. I told him I really didnt read it much, and he said, no not THAT bible, and laying next to it was "Striper Surf", and knew right away what he meant...
It was and still is one of the most informative books I have ever seen on surfcasting!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Great story, Bob. I had just retired from teaching when I wrote it in the early 1990s. A major concern of mine at the time was what influence the moratorium might have upon book sales. People were really bummed over the loss of striper fishing and timing was not good. As it turned out bass were making a come back and the timing could not have been better. The first hardcover printing, I think now of collectable value, sold out quickly and the paperback form chugged along.

There are a lot of things that can make or break a book, mostly within the author's control and one major is the basic idea in that it has to fill a need never done before. The tendency of publishers to broaden subject matter inclusion can hurt a book's appeal. Consequently, Striper Surf was sort of a first because of earlier efforts overly broadened. No departures from the title: stripers, shore fishing. That's it!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

STRIPER SURF is a priceless book-----The best how-to ever written. But, my favorite of his will come later, when he presents it for opinions.
I could care less if any of his books were written in gold print, hard-back, contained color photos, or cosmetically tuned to be considered for a Nobel Peace Prize. I read and re-read'em, they're splattered with tobacco juice, notes made in margins, etc. I don't frame'em and hang'em on the wall. His autograph and personal note makes them special. I don't recall that KIB BRAMHALL autographed my copy of his "master- piece" for me. The things that are important to me that money can't buy are the personal things that I have received from FRANK, JANET MESSINEO, BILL and THERESE HUBBARD, AL ADAM, and the personal responses that I have received on these posts and from my e-mail that I have gotten from friends on this site.

MULE.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM

I met Janet Messeneo way back when I went over to the Vinyard as Dr Post's guest. He wrote Reading the Water. We did a show for the Vineyard Surfcasters. She is another real deal. Why is it you always can tell?

It surprises me that Bill Hubbard never wrote a book. Lord knows he too has been there and gathered a wealth of experience in his lifetime. Maybe he is too smart to write a book .
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I met Janet Messeneo way back when I went over to the Vinyard as Dr Post's guest. He wrote Reading the Water. We did a show for the Vineyard Surfcasters. She is another real deal. Why is it you always can tell?

It surprises me that Bill Hubbard never wrote a book. Lord knows he too has been there and gathered a wealth of experience in his lifetime. Maybe he is too smart to write a book .
I did some articles for the old Fly Tyer when Dick Surret first bought it and had a couple published in Atlantic Salmon Journal. I've got a manuscript of my four years on the cape but, don't think it's worth all the effort to get it published.

My wife, Therese has written over 30 novels and I've been proof reading them for her. That's enough writing.
BillH
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

I think Globe-Pequot, the original publisher, is going to drop Striper Surf. When they do I will have the rights back and can either shop for another publisher or self-publish. I have about 25 left in my stash and that will be it unless someone picks it up. In light of what has been said already about book publishing, kindle and a panicked world of publishing, I am not all horsed about doing anything. And while it seems like a shame to let the title die, look at all the great books that have gone out of print. It is not like my Striper Surf is the only one to be taken to the dump
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
I did some articles for the old Fly Tyer when Dick Surret first bought it and had a couple published in Atlantic Salmon Journal. I've got a manuscript of my four years on the cape but, don't think it's worth all the effort to get it published.

My wife, Therese has written over 30 novels and I've been proof reading them for her. That's enough writing.
BillH
BILL----what kind of novels does Therese write?
And by the way, if you have no one to will that manuscript to, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands before the moths eat it up. I've got two 1200lb. moth proof safes.

MULE.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Therese has written over 30 Romance Novels but none have been published yet. One publisher has had her manuscript for about six months and has her do a couple changes so that's looking good.
BillH