Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

And I see where we won't be cooking chickens as customary cuz the Mass Legislature is going to ban pressure cookers. A compromise measure would be to sell PCPs (Pressure Cooker Permits) which will be "good until revoked" with the intent of a later renewal for a hundred dollars -- ( what they did last time.)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM
SS/Veteran

And they will define "pressure cooker" as any metal container that can be sealed.

Best humorus sentence in the media yesterday was the girlfriend asking the oldest bomber: Honey! do we really need 10 pressure cookers?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Another good one, Rich. You been on a roll this week.

Momma J and Mister Smarty start hunting in Conn tomorrow. We gonna put pressure cookers in the roost .
Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
SS/Veteran

And more good news: Ordered a Ruger 10//22 about 10 months ago and yesterday it came in and I bought some 22LR ammo which I was limited to 100 rounds where 6 months ago there was none to be had. Conclusion things might be looseing up.

Anything from guns to ammo to primers and powder are still flying off the shelves with so much uncertainty out there with our leadership.

The boat guy was told that people were giving money to get him a new boat and had raised $10,000. He turned it down and said to give it to the victims. Eastern Mass people can not pronounce r's so for example car comes out as caa.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM

May Outdoor Life has a short on p. 49 tht says the Ruger 10/22, which came out in 1964, is the best selling rim fire ever made.

Most of us feel that the shortage will soon be over and the flash-in-the pan aspects of the shortage was just a silly reacion. We had family urge us to stock up on routine ammo but I am not comfortable over doing ammo because oftentimes gear becomes rendered obsolete because of product development. For instance, we are ash-deep in turkey loads that have been outdone in the laboratory with way better developments.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM

My son works part-time in the fishing and hunting department of a major chain and they cant keep ammo on the shelves at all and the number one selling ammo is 22lr. We too have resisted the urge to stock up on ammo because I like trying new loads and stocking up on old stuff leads to waste. I always have enough for the next season but thats about it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm no expert but I think .22 LR is a popular prepper option because a person can store a large amount cheaply that a survivalist can use for just about anything. You can kill a deer with a 22 LR. Back during the Cuban Missle Crisis, early 1960s, I bought 1000 rounds of hollow point. We still dump them on the range.

I too kind of next season my thinking. Fall of 2012 we shot 15 12 ga Sabots which was way over the usual. We bought 15 for the coming season because any more than that, and sure enough they will come up with a low recoil, high speed, nuclear, 1000 yard 12 gauge intergalactic shell and we will be overstocked with old crap..... again!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM

When I used a shotgun for deer back before rifle was legal in Tioga County NY I fell in love with the first generation of Remington copper solids. They shot so well that when I couldnt find them after a few years I called an old timer who was a gunsmith and bought all he could get so Id always have plenty. The next year they actually improved them with a third generation and I never did get to try any....I switched to rifle before i exhausted my supply. That was 21 years ago, and I still have enough for a couple seasons tho id never trust em.
justin
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM

Frank,
I know turkey season is upon us and I wondered if you had ever called in any coyotes while attempting to call turkeys? Its a fairly common thing here, I actually had a classmate from school that was bitten in the neck/shoulder when a coyote snuck in behind him and pounced. The yote let go immediatly and his injuries werent bad. The coyote on the other hand got a turkey load in the bass. Just wondered if this sort of thing happens in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Not that often, Justin, but I once did have a coyote sneak up on my decoy while I was calling and I spoiled his trip. I would never, like your classmate, shoot a coyote in the bass. I am a head and shoulders officienado.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM

The coyote is the most challenging critter I have ever pursued fish included. Many guys get one deer hunting or turkey hunting, but there isnt too many guys that target them. I call them much more than I turkey hunt, but the most efficient way to target them is with dogs. I think you would enjoy calling em....alone in the dark just like stripers. I will admit it is unnerving blowing on a mouth call pretending to be a dying rabbit in order to lure a predator to you in the dark. Anyone else ever do any predator hunting?
justin
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM

The one I shot creeping up on my turkey decoy, I succed on the back of my hand made like a wabbit and that really got him horsed. I could never get my wife to lay in a snow bank with raw liver on her chest waiting for one to come in. Yes, the guys I know who hunt them with dogs have radio collers on the dogs and the run/drive goes for miles. I would love that.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM

We run with gps collars and track the dogs on handheld units. When I started 20 years ago we used radio collars and it was a bit tougher than now. Our groups best year was 109 yotes, I had 14 my best year. The guy that got us into it has 300-400 acre pen with yotes for training and if you two get upstate its a riot just watching the dogs run. The "season" is really a tough gig but you can get in on some of the action riding the roads. We always have a couple trucks on the outside to keep dogs safe if the yote crosses the road. Most of the houndsman I know are very willing to take people out to show what their dogs can do!
justin
Old 04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdooraddict View Post
We run with gps collars and track the dogs on handheld units. When I started 20 years ago we used radio collars and it was a bit tougher than now. Our groups best year was 109 yotes, I had 14 my best year. The guy that got us into it has 300-400 acre pen with yotes for training and if you two get upstate its a riot just watching the dogs run. The "season" is really a tough gig but you can get in on some of the action riding the roads. We always have a couple trucks on the outside to keep dogs safe if the yote crosses the road. Most of the houndsman I know are very willing to take people out to show what their dogs can do!
justin
What happens when the hounds catch up with the yote and corner him assuming the hounds out wind the coyote? Coons and bears will tree but a coyote? or is this shoot on the run?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Assuming the snow isnt deep, it hasnt been in 2 years, most of the time the chase is like red fox hunting only the coyote covers more ground and larger circles. The coyotes like to circle a long ridge without changing elevation but near the top. This way they have plenty of downhill running room for escape if the dogs get too much pressure on them. They dont like to waste energy, sound familiar? We hike up and catch em next time around theoretically using wind and elevation. I guess above where I feel the yote will cross because I too can run down the hill if i hear the dogs/ see on screen the yote going low. Deep snow or big cocky coyote its like hog hunting with hounds. Dogs catch yote, fight ensues till you get there then it gets hairy. Worst case coyote goes in a hole and dog follows. Then we crawl / dig in headfirst and pull the dog out, dog pulls coyote out and then all heck breaks out. I have some video i might be able to send. I dont think it wise to post tho....antis should not view!