Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 PM
SS/Veteran

rwnyc65..Before you write the book. The rigged eel was created in Rhode Island "the rocky state". It was brought to Long Beach long island by Ned Nordeen in the late 1920,s or early 30,s. It became an instant hit with the jetty fisherman of that time. The Mertz brother,s became famous taking many fish to 51 pounds.

Over the past 15 years the rigged eel has been used at Montauk point in the rocky area by a small group of sharpies. The difference between the rigged eel and wood is about 20 pounds per fish. Alb31
Old 02-09-2005, 09:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Al,

What is the differnce between the real eel and the rigged eel?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Hello Mr. Bentsen,
Speaking of "heartbeakers", how about the one that popped you off (1977) on "The Mudbar" when your drag stuck and you got your thumb stuck in your reel trying to loosen it? The fish eventually broke the head hook in half (a 9/0 siwash) and pulled the tail hook completely away! And as far as "that certian point" goes,...that's MY SPOT! JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 02-09-2005, 09:56 PM

Hey... Jason Colby! Never met you... but another name I remember fondly from some writing you did a few years back for a L.I. Weekly! (When I was a "kid!"). Quincy now, huh? Hope you're well! (& still catching good Bass... in addition to Flounder up there??)

Thanks, Al, for answering! But my fault for being vague with my question! Of course I know the Rigged Eels' effectiveness among rocks/ structure/ jetties! My question was: when fishing fairly shallow, & very rocky/ boulder- strewn areas, such as at Montauk & Watch Hill & Quonny... though I've not tried it myself yet, it just seems to me the lure might be particularly prone to hanging up on bottom in these tough spots? (even if unweighted, w/ just the two large Siwash hooks weighing it down?), esp. if it is worked as slow as I'd suspect it should be? DO you lose many in a night in these conditions? Is it a factor/ frustrating?? Jetties such as at Long Beach, L.I.: NO problem! Unless you cast right into the jetty for some reason, you'll not snag rocks!

Of course I know it CAN be done... & IS done by those Montauk sharpies you mention!... and I'm even well- aware the the only "50" from the Montauk surf last Fall did indeed supposedly fall to your pet offering, in the hands of a "premiere sharpie!" Personally, fear of hanging bottom IS one reason I prefer more bouyant wood or plastic offerings in shallow bony spots-- but then again, I have no 50's yet! (after 25 years of serious trying!). So as always, I'm sure you're right-- & even at Montauk I should use the "real" though rigged stuff too!

Looking forward to hearing more big fish caught-- or lost!-- stories from you, Al! A 9/0 Siwash broken? Really?? I've had a 4x 4/0 Treble opened on a plug... but breaking that single heavy Mustad hook, back when Mustads really were strong?? Do tell more!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:06 PM

Hi Jason,

Remember me with the fly rod?

Happy to hear your banging em up there. Every once in a while I read about them flounder you get.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Chapter 3..Ive got too set the scene for this one. The place is race point on Cape Cod in the early 1960,s. I was fishing with my good friend Mel Clapp. My tackle is a squidder with 50 pound test dacron line and a 15 foot 50 pound test mono leader. Mounted to a Harnell 542 with 8 inches cut from the tip. "Still a great rigged eel stick". I had just gotten some carbon teflon drag washes from my friend Ted. I put them in the reel to replace the leather one,s. They were supposed to be smooth and never wear out.

It was the middle of October the wind notheast gusting over 50 knots and raining hard. The wind would be on our back,s and the tide coming in. The beach was open range no park service. We were the only ones out there. It just can't get any better than this. I set up on the right corner of the race and Mel 100 feet to my left. It was about 11PM when we started fishing. Mel was the first one to get a fish on.He didn't need any help and soon had a 35 pounder in the truck.

Now it was my turn. I hit a large fish on the eel. He doubled the rod in half and he took off for plymouth. Something was wrong, the drag started binding the rod bucked with each run. . After a long hard fight. I had him coming I lifted him out of the wave onto the sand in front of the breaker. Then it happened the hook just fell out. I only had a few seconds.I threw the rod up on the beach and took the gaff out of my belt. The wave hit the fish and it slid up the beach he looked like a good fifty. I dove to the fish and hit the fish with my gaff. When I did that my fist hit the sand and knocked the gaff out of my grasp. I figured I had him. The gaff was on a surgical tube attached to my belt. The fish kept sliding back and turning his head toward the sea. He was free. I dove after him and grabbed him by the tail. He slipped away. Mel came down the beach too see what I was yelling about.

I got my other outfit and started fishing. It wasn't long maybe 30 minutes and Mel had another fish on. The fish didn't run or fight at all. He reeled in a 52 pound bass. Too this day I think the bass Mel landed was the one I lost. He was worn out when he hit Mel,s eel.

There have been times when you tag bass and catch them again shortly after a release.

I told Ted about the binding drag and he forgot to tell me you have to grease each washer.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Al,

I have been reading your posts with great interest. Do you still fish long beach? I move here about three months ago and am always wondering how the fishing will be. The beach seems real shallow and the jetties don't seem to extend very far, but your posts have me salivating!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:33 AM

Great to see you here Al. Keep on with the stories! Thank you Mistah Frank!
Okay you got a beaucoup of seals there. Now if they follow their food the way other species do,you are going to have a big year for BIG sharks there soon.
" THEN: as if a starting gun went off: no fewer than 15- 20 GIANT seals start tearing up the water in front of me! (only 5- 12 feet deep over the bars I'm targeting, & that they've now cornered the bait against"
Old 02-10-2005, 10:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Al: That last story was pretty kool!

Yeah, I'd think that the seals AND sharks would scare away any bass within miles (back beach area). I wanted to try that area out last fall but chickened out.

Hopefully all the Bass wil learn to stay down here in Jersey where they can be safe...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Wow! What a thread! I don't dare say anything that might have a chilling effect on you guys. Think I'll just shut up.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM

This is great a lot of good stories.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Diving onto the beach, getting her by the tail, and the guy next to you landing it w/in a half-hour! I love it! Keep 'em coming!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:41 PM
SS/Veteran

levari..In answer to your question. A rigged eel is a dead real eel with two hooks rigged thru it and fastened seccurely in it. In this way it can be cast and retrieved to look like a live eel. The trick is too get it balance right and retrieved correctly. This will avoid the eel from spinning. Plus allow you to take several fish on it before it falls apart.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Gene from norris. The reason we have so many seals is two fold. The pairs trawling in the gulf of Maine has cleaned out the herring population and driven the seals further south for food. The herring by the way are sold overseas... Plus the seals aren't hunted anymore and they are protected.

The seals preditor Mr.shark has also suffered from commercial and sport fishing. They have declined to a point where the great white had to be protected. They have too few young to make a rapid come back and start hunting seals in large number.

If they do somthing about the pairs trawling we might get some relief. Otherwise the seals will be further south in the summer. A place like Montauk point would be next. Plenty of food there.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Fantastic thread! I'll just shut up and keep learning!!!