Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How have Outdoor READERS changed over the last 20-30 years?

My wife is a reading machine who knocks off at least two titles per week. But she flat out refuses to read about fishing and hunting other than editing what I write. She is competent in the field but sometimes has these eureka moments which are too basic for someone of her ability. Two years ago she shot a buck that went to water and died. She was astonished that was predictable deer behavior, a thing most hunters know. But she has failed to keep herself informed and relies too heavily on me to keep her up to speed. People who do not avail themselves to outdoor media are less informed.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:17 PM

I keep thinking a well written "fishing story" should have crossover mainstream appeal that even my wife would read

It almost happened with The Perfect Storm but she refused to read it because she said it would make her too upset

Then A Speck In th Sea just came out about a local fisherman who fell off a boat on its way offshore and nobody saw him go over

She meant to buy me an autographed copy but they signed it to her by mistake, so she bought two copies. She is also a book junkie and she loves this book

So maybe she'll dig into one of my fishing books next?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM

There have been a rash of Coast Guard books lately -- The Guardian, Deadliest Sea, the one off Chatham, (forgot title) where CG goes out over Chatham Bar, aka Long Bar. Top thriller is Deadliest Sea, which they are bound to make a movie of.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM

I wonder how much of that interest is created by Deadliest Catch and Wicked Tuna. Those TV shows are much more popular than I ever dreamed they'd be. People down these parts watch every episode and the cast are basically celebrities when every they visit town.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 AM

I enjoy those shows but they do make some dumb mistakes which imply an inherent googanism. Dogs on deck getting in the way. No Polaroids while gaffing. They kind of give the impression that they have no clue.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Gloucester MA is a great town , one of my favorites. Only been up there a few years & fished the Bass Rocks . It's where the shows originated. We had a lot of fun drinking whiskey with the locals , my NYC accent and they're NE "BaStan" drawl . Had alot of laughs on each other .
Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I had a speech professor who could tell where you came from by hearing just one of your sentences. Maine, Boston, NYC, Jersey the south -- all identifiable.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM

There is a growing sentiment in print publications, say newspapers and magazines, that has the potential to spill over into outdoor publications. That sentiment is to distrust what people read. Look at Trumps "fake news" which he happens to be right about. I see a big difference between Outdoor Life and the Washington Post but I wonder if the man on the street sees that difference.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Yes I sort of agree but I also remember some articles or fishing reports that generated a lot of laughs on the beach. Some written to shamelessly plug a product or a fake or highly inflated fishing report, presumably to generate some extra traffic I'm not saying it happens all the time but most guys recognize this phenomenon in the outdoors columns
I've never read a negative product review
Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Yes, John, I agree with you. When people BS readers they are ruining their credability. Long run, the reason to be for all -- advertisers, publishers, readers -- all fall out of the loop. It goes back to my editorial, "Is It True".
Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM

One change that took place in my time is that there were no surfcasting books when I started and my first two titles -- 20 Years and Striper Surf -- really did well. Now everybody is writing striper books and I think they are getting killed.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM

20 years read almost like an autobiography and I'm not sure of many that would attempt that today. Striper Surf also had a lot of teaching by describing a situation. Just not enough of that lately
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM

This news item from Bloomberg News caught my eye two days ago

Mic, a website aimed at millennials, used to employ 40 writers and editors producing articles on topics like “celebrating beauty” and “strong women.” Ten were let go this month, with most in the revamped newsroom of 63 now focused on making videos for places like Facebook.

Critics have called such moves “100 percent cynical” and out of sync with audience demand. Yet Americans are watching more video snippets online, either because they secretly like them or because they’re getting harder to avoid. The growing audience for video, more valuable to advertisers than the space next to words, is causing websites to shift resources in what’s become known across the industry as the pivot to video.

“When you think about how many hours people spend watching video versus reading, the audience has already spoken,” said Chris Altchek, chief executive officer of Mic. The outlet’s viewers spend 75 percent of their time with “visual” content like videos, not text, he said.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Senior Fellow

John,
It's no wonder there is so much fake news. Think of all of the people who are paid to keep churning out that constant social media sensationalism. The numbers must be very great and there is only so much local news to go around. I have fallen victim to the spontaneous news technology but am going to wean myself from it .....fall fishing season is the perfect time!

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 PM

I'm not a big supporter of Donald Trump though I did vote in his favor. What I was doing was voting against Hillary. But his repeated attacks on print media with the "fake news" is comforting to me because I think the news reporting needs a lot of repair. What they are calling news stories are nothing but opinion pieces that belong on the editorial pages. The Boston Globe is awful these days. They are not serving readers. Rather they are engaged in a pissin war with Trump. Meanwhile print media is doing exactly what Trump is accusing them of doing -- serving the contentious situation instead of serving we readers. I know that I have at times been criticized right here but no one can say that I have ever forgotten the readers in my work.