Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Relate things that can make you a better surfcaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Phil View Post
You do have an audience though Frank!! I am an artist not a writer so I just make things... the exhibition and sale of art work is the end of the story- if I went by sales I wouldn't create anything!! wouldn't be "worth it" but to me it is... I know you aren't receptive to dime a dozen ideas, BUT why don't you write limited edition style where your "abandoned" work gets finished and you sell a limited run for "big bucks"... I would lay out a hundred for a new book of yours! sell a hundred for a hundred or whatever, first run limited edition and see what happens? Give your audience what they want! haha P.S. don't take this rant the wrong way you know I love your writing!
-Phil
Frank, I too have mentioned in past, what Team Phil says above. Get it to us somehow...don't let it rot in your hardrive. We'll read it...we read your thoughts everyday...on this site. For people that like to read, or that like certain authors, the topic and the writing style keep us coming back for more.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Thanks, Frank. But ten of you is not reason to write a book. You know why publishers don't want a new book by Daignault? Because they already know they can't sell enough of them to pay for what they have to put into it. Fishing books, like a lot of things, have to pay their way.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Thanks for that. Are you saying that my accolades might come after I die? What good is that?
Because it is far better then no accolades at all - do you not have any family that may survive you and continue to be proud?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

The children were only nine years old when I started writing 46 years ago. They really never knew me before I started writing. The writing does not mean much to them, kind of old hat. Oh, they, all four, see us as good parents but nothing is going to change that. Writing books is a non issue to them.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Gotcha Frank I'm not gonna push the issue any further... You still write a good amount of articles every year right? I see at least two a season in the NY edition of the fisherman and I remember you saying the surfcasters journal as well now...
Have you evolved to prefer writing articles over books, or is it that the book business is dead as you like to say?
-Phil
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM

"Have you evolved to prefer writing articles over books, or is it that the book business is dead as you like to say?"

I have always been an article writer and kept doing that even when I was working on a book. Articles are safe in that they don't require a commitment of hundreds of hours. I can get my coffee, be naked as a jay bird, assemble some notes about the subject that I feel will inform and entertain the reader, and do something in a few hours that will bring in a check. Article writing I am way more connected to my readers. It is safe.

I have always had a negative view of book authors who lack experience in article writing because, in order to attack the subtleties of authorship the process of creating clear and informative copy is a part of the process. Joe Blow comes along with no experience when nobody ever saw any of his work in print, and writes a book which he had to publish himself because nobody will take it on, is just weeds washing up on the beach that get in the way of what is a clear industry that knows what is required. These guys are breaking the rules, not because rules matter, but because the rules, dear and patient reader, are proven to have worked. Put differently, article writing is book writing's apprenticeship and it is dangerous to duck that. Check the garages of Long Island and that sh** is all over the place yellowing.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 PM

I'm surprised that nobody put up that getting a divorce would make them a better surfcaster. Not my case but I have known so many wives of others who were less than that I would have hit the road a long time ago.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 AM

I think that Akoller's answer, that time spent on the water fishing, is one the best ways to become a better surfcaster. Living and working a short drive away from good fishing spots can be extremely helpful.

Having a job with flexible hours allows for fishing hard during the best tides and conditions and getting the work done when the fishing is not producing.

Just as it is with a job or trade, the more hours spent doing, the better the results.

On the home front, having a spouse who has their own hobby or interests, gives a guy guilt free time to enjoy (and learn) the sport of surfcasting, without negative repercussions.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I'm surprised that nobody put up that getting a divorce would make them a better surfcaster. Not my case but I have known so many wives of others who were less than that I would have hit the road a long time ago.
The fisherman who has an understanding wife is a lucky man indeed! I count myself in that small club. I used to see a hardcore guy in his mid-20's at the Canal & the Cape for years, then he said he was getting married. I joked that he could kiss his non stop fishing "goodbye". He gave me the standard line of "No way", well, I have never seen him since.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:57 AM

In my case, I have my wife's blessing to go fishing whenever I want to. She agrees that it is good for my health, both mentally and physically. Neither one of us watches much tv and when I go fishing she goes off and plays the slot machines. We joke about the similarities. ...luck and the big score. Just want to add that we both work and our mortgage is paid off.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:30 PM

There is an old Indian saying, "all surfcasting and no blackjack makes Jack a dull boy."
Old 08-14-2017, 10:28 AM

One thing that made me a better surfcaster was big prices in the late 1970s. Fish were huge and and a 40-pounder sold for $100. College tuition for six and a second mortgage money was a big deal. I used to lose 15 pounds every summer fishing for money.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 PM

We have a Surfcasting contest down by me. It's actually a contest within contests. There's a state wide contest, fishing clubs gave their own contests, and at certain times there are other contests. There's hardly ever serious money involved. Sometimes just plastic trophies. But man do the guys go crazy fishing day and night to win these contests. You have to fish all tides and all winds.

Sort of 'forced fun"
Old 08-15-2017, 11:31 AM

The big incentive in those contests is to get your name in the paper. People will shoot their own mother for that.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:58 PM

A thing that can make you a better surfcaster is to know what you can get away with that is basically harmless. For instance, lets say everybody fishes a rotation on the end of the jetty; then you go in the back and fish alone where there is no rotation. Or say a park is closed at night. Find a place to hide your vehicle and sneak in or get dropped off. Fishing does no harm. At the Cape's CCNS we used to avoid detection by fishing in the closed swimming beaches where there was no night bathing but still ruled out-of-bounds by the Gestapo. (You could play it straight and rent a video game or buy a boat.)