Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Talk bears, boar, elk, whatever. In the end it is the Virginia whitetail deer that rules the forest. No animal I can think of is harder to hunt.

Funny thing is Joyce and I waited all our lives to go out west to hunt something important like a muley or elk or moose. Then, when we found out what it costs to ship it home, or worse, sign it over to a local for their family use, it came to us .....what is the point? The totality of the hunt needs all its parts: a chance, cost effective, table celebration and no interference with our local hunting.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM
SS/Veteran

a friend of mine went hunting in hiwaii( how do u spell it?) last month(didnt do any fishing,what a JERK!) he took 2 mountain goats of some kind,the meat went to local familys, some kind of regulation? i gets to take the horns home, i love catch and release ,but thats taking it to far. what i shoot i eat.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 AM

There is a thing going on in outdoor media that is self destructive -- there is no deer hunting in any of the mags or TV shows east of Ohio. Eventually the major population centers where all the buying and subscribing goes on will drop out because they can't relate. Illinois, Texas and Wyoming will realize they are talking to themselves and it will take years to recover eastern interest. For example, ever notice how out of touch striper fishing is in national outdoor media? Or, better yet, how soccer doesn't count in traditional sports pages? Vested interests mold editorial content.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Rhode Island deer regs just came out. They have added two weeks in January in the east sections of the state that have never been hunted. Whooptedo, we can kill up to four more deer in Providence, Pawtucket or Woonsocket when all other gun hunting is over. Now to find some woods .....
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Yesterday, while we was cooking a wild turkey, there was a hen turkey and three poults on the lawn and I heard her say, "dem's the bricks that shot Uncle Tom!"
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Name:  Hog blitz.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  56.6 KB
I went hoggin' in North Carolina with Steve Sink and rfd but it was a slow day.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
SS/Veteran

And just to keep this thread alive while Frank is sharpening his knives someone might want to take down that Texas State flag and put up the North Carolina flag just so he will not embarrass him.

By the way fresh pork chops for supper on the Barbie,Sweet Baby Rays sauce (well most of them are, but we will not tell you which ones ).
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Iknew about the Texas state flag. Also, did you see the Valdez, Alaska reference in the flatfish taken on Jason's boat? I say if BS is obvious it is not really BS.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Default BEAR HUNT - Campton, NH - Labor Day 2010

My Labor Day bear hunt was a huge success. I hunted in Campton,NH, not very far from Lincoln, where my brother and I stayed for the moose hunt in 2007. After 45 minutes (3:45) in the stand a bear sneaked in and lay down on the pile of sunflower seeds. I kept trying to judge it's size and must have taken the safety on and off at least 2 dozen times. It's tough to judge from up in the stand, but my guide Dave said there was a 300+ pounder in the area with a white diamond patch, so I decided to wait that one out. That first bear ambled off at about 4:25. A bigger bear came in at about 4:30, but stayed concealed behind cover. I could tell it was a big bear because I could see the paws and make out the head and snout from time to time. That sucker lay down on the sunflower seeds for over an hour. At 5:35 or so, the bear got up and left the way it came, not giving any shot opportunity after a long wait. I don't know if that same bear came back around to hit the bait barrel, or if it was a different bear, but at about 5:45, the sow came out and there was no doubt she was a decent bear. She gave me a perfect broadside shot and I took it. She tumbled over and went stiff for a second, but then she got up and charged off out of view with a couple huge bounds. I called my guide, Dave and he showed up with his tracker buddy and a quad. They asked me if I felt confident of a good shot and I said, "absolutely". That illuminated reticle is AWESOME and shined like a beacon on the bears shoulder! Anywho, I say, "let's go see if there's any blood". So we go over and there's no blood or anything. The guide and the tracker start following what they thought was where she crashed off. As they're looking, I see a big ball of black in the ferns not 15 yards from where I shot her and I said, "Uhhhm. guys, look over here". And there she was. Dave estimated her at 240# live weight and 175# dressed, an absolute pig of a bear! I felt a bit guilty having shot a sow, but it's pretty tough to tell a bear's sex from a distance. I went out with the guide the following morning and helped him bait and check trail cameras. We went back to where I took my bear and when we checked the camera, we found it took a picture of the first bear that came in the afternoon before, only 20 or so minutes after we hauled my bear out! It also snapped a picture of my bear's final seconds before I took the shot (first picture). For those that don't think that a .270 is not enough gun for bear, I would respectfully disagree. This bear gave me the most perfect broadside shot I could have hoped for. With the illuminated reticle in the vital zone, the 150 grain Remington Corelokt took out both lungs, part of the heart and the top of the liver. A triple mortal shot! She didn't suffer and only went 15 yards from where she was hit. My only complaint is that I stuck around to have the bear processed, which didn't happen. That cost me an extra night's stay and a lot of unnecessary waiting around. Loaded the chest cavity with bags of ice, bagged her and lined the back of the Forester with a 6X8 tarp. She's now in my home town butcher's cooler waiting for processing. I still have to evaluate the skin to make sure it's worthy of a rug.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Good account of the hunt and fine pictures Andy. You'd make a fine writer. Real nice bear.
And Frank, That's me on the right behind that pile of hogs in your picture. We got'em all on the same covey rise. Plott hounds had some trouble holding point and retrieving though.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Yes, Andy's story was great. This is such a fun thread. The pictures now in widesread use here are really kicking up our intertainment level. Having a face to put on the person enhances our connection. Boars, bears, moose whatever. In the end the Virginia whitetail deer is the smartest animal in the forest. But the other choices taste good.Name:  Venison Stew.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Good story and all the ingredients came together for an adventure: anticipation, experiencing and remembrance.
.270 Winchester-one of the best all purpose calibers. Don't believe me read Jack O'Connor's books.
Bear fur at the end of summer---poo-poo-ka-ka---sorry!

Francis--who the hell stops to take a photo of their meal--never mind I do not want to know.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Long story, Merl. Hope you are not sorry you asked. I have this new digital camera which I am trying to get used to after 40 years of film photography. It is so easy that I don't trust it. Hence I try to shoot under all circumstances. When I saw what I had, I stuck it in my hard drive and now I use it to practice putting up pictures here. It is one of our favorites -- venison/carrot stew.

I don't mind being called Francis. Irishmen like that name. May I call you Richard? Or Rich?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
SS/Veteran

Now aren't you sorry you asked: 95% of people call me Rich, 2 % call me Richard (mostly older relatives and ex girlfriends), one guy called me Dick but he is still bleeding. The other 3 % are assorted names some unprintable.

ref: digital cameras--yes they are a wonder and need to be practiced with and just when we think we have mastered it we find a new feature and of course will be obsolete in 6 months. The damn battery eaters!

"Francis"--that is the name on your return address label plus it got your attention-----Frank.

Back on topic--awakened in the middle of the night (10:pm) with a chorus of Coyote singing. Neighbor warned me to have a rifle ready because they are getting bold. Can do, was my answer. Up here in the hills we have no problem "shoot and bury".

The stew needs some tomatoes on it for color--slightly cooked, maybe some bell peppers and/or sweet peppers again slighly cooked. See you and Joyce for dinner tonight.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Yesterday, while getting written permission to deer hunt, Joyce asked the land owner if it was okay to shoot coyotes.
"PLEASE DO!"